“Has the potential to be so much better!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Has the potential to be so much better!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went on a Sunday for the night. The place is totally stunning with beautiful gardens and surrounded by gorgeous countryside. Check in was efficient and friendly.

Our room in the new block was superb with beautiful floor to ceiling windows looking out onto the grounds. The bathroom was large and very well appointed and the bedding was luxurious.

Our massages in the spa were excellent too. The black pudding starter in Mr Fred's was very nice indeed, as was the breakfast set up the following day.

Just a few points that could be improved upon though:-

The spa relaxation room has a filthy cream coloured rug with all sorts of stains on it and the fake olive trees are covered in dust.

The thermal pool wasn't hot at all nor were the heated relaxation beds which were not warm as billed. We had 2 hrs down there until our treatments but there is no clock for you to keep an eye on so you know how long you have left.

My starter of filo wrapped king prawns was not good at all. It was straight out of a box and warmed up. Very similar to a product from the frozen store Iceland. My wife said her fish pie didn't fill her up so its a good job I didn't have one as it wouldn't have touched the sides. And finally, I thought our £11 sharing sundae for dessert was horrific given the price. £6 would have been too much for that. There was no ice cream and in its place was marscapone cheese!! Revolting.

The glasses were clean but all cloudy and scratched and rather unappealing looking.

And finally, our double bed was 2 singles pushed together with a ridge down the centre where they joined which was rather disappointing given the overall quality of the place.

This place could be a real top notch establishment if someone took a grip of it and ironed out the little problems.

All in all I would go back and the main thing I would expect would be better food in Mr Fred's.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Stanley House. I am delighted that you found the majority of your experience to be a positive one. Your constructive feedback is welcomed and will assist us to continue to improve our service and the products that we offer. I do hope that you will return again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My friend and I have just returned from an overnight stay including spa access through secret escapes, I'm afraid it's definitely not up to a 5 star rating when it comes to customer service, the accommodation was beautiful and very impressive but when we dined in mr Fred's it was appauling, Sunday night and very quiet but had ran out of our chosen starter then my ribeye steak which I asked for rare was presented medium to well done, I sent it back only to be told they had no more ribeye only sirloin so when that arrived on my plate that was also over cooked hence I sent it back and had NOTHING. Ended up going back to my room starving. Next day at the spa it was very unorganised, all the lockers were taken, we were not asked to fill in a health questionaire as other visitor had, I have to agree with other people on this site in that the windows to the spa were filthy and the outside view was full of weeds, but the ultimate grievance for me was when I had my back massage which should have been a 30 minute treatment was over in just 20 minutes, fortunately I had my watch on my wrist which I'm sure most people wouldn't have when they have just come out of the spa, when the therapist had finished I looked at my watch and said to her I thought this was a 30 minute treatment and she said yes it is, I said but you've only done 20 minutes, she apologised and said oh ill do a bit longer then. Can you imagine how much they are doing guests out of that's a £10 loss over a £30 treatment if they con you out of 10 minutes what a rip off. Also I agree with other people on here, not once did the receptionist ask if we had enjoyed our stay, what a pity as I'd probably would have told her the lot but couldn't be bothered just put it down to experience and never visit again. Mr manager at stanley house you need your staff sorting out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Spoty007
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear about the issues that you experienced during your time with us. Unfortunately I feel that anything I say at this point will not assist in changing your opinion of Stanley House though I really must say that we do take any complaints very seriously and this is certainly not the impression that we strive for. My utmost apologies to you both.
North Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here on business, huge attention to detail and the whole place is absolutely beautiful. Excellent wifi too which is an unusual one for most rural hotels. I used room service and again this was great, it wasn't made clear that you could order off the normal restaurant menu in your room which I hadn't realised. Only possible downside was I thought the reception service was a bit faceless.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to write such a fantastic review, your comments are extremely pleasing to hear though I am sorry that you felt our reception service wasn't as it should have been. I shall speak to my team as this is certainly not the impression that we wish to portray at Stanley House. I sincerely hope that you will be happy to return to us very soon. We do have wonderfully relaxing spa breaks if we can tempt you....
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

A lovely venue for afternoon tea. The grounds are beautiful and the venue is tooked away in peaceful countryside. The cakes were delicious, very fresh and a different selection with the typical 'afternoon tea' scones of brownies, banoffie pie and cheesecake. However, it wouldve been nice for a few more sandwiches as they were only small and split between the group did not go far. Secondly, I dont think they took an order off all the group for tea & coffee. We were left sharing and only had one cup of tea. I think they assumed as we ordered wine extra that not everyone wanted a brew.
I would definately return as the food and venue were excellent. There was a wedding in another room and it looked an amazing venue - especially for photgraphs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Linzalin
Thank you for your kind words about your recent afternoon tea in Mr Fred's. I am delighted to hear that you all had a great time. Your feedback is much appreciated as this information helps us to continue to improve our service so that next time you visit you will be able to see the changes. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Leyland, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My son and his new wife got married in Leyland and we then moved on to Stanley House. As a wedding venue it would be hard to beat. The wedding organiser, Joy, lived up to her name and helped , advised and went out of her way to ensure all was perfect. We arrived to a drinks reception which included an non stop set of fantastic nibbles. All too soon it was time to sit down for the meal. Needless to say the food was out of this world but much more impressive was the fact that everyone was served in good time, I've lost track of the number of weddings I've been to where the top table has finished a course whilst others wait to be served that would never happen here. Into the bar which regains the dining room once it has been cleared from the wedding breakfast. The bar service was excellent and I certainly never had to wait for more than one person before being served. It all made for a fantastic day. As we stayed overnight I'm going to do a separate review for the Hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rob B
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. It is so wonderful that your son and new daughter-in-law had such a perfect day and that you all enjoyed yourselves. I do hope that you will not become strangers, please do come back and see us again soon. Perhaps you could treat yourselves to a relaxing spa break?
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

For my 18th Birthday I was treated to a spa afternoon with three of my close friends. It was everything I could have wished for and more.
We were booked onto the afternoon spa session with afternoon tea included.
The spa is spotless, modern and luxurious. The staff are wonderful and the thermal suite is heavenly!
Every element of our stay was perfect! No expense spared at all, I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!
Thank-you for an incredible day to remember

• Stayed June 2014
      Cleanliness
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it really is appreciated. So delighted that you had an amazing 18th birthday with us and that you chose to spend such an occasion at Stanley House Hotel & Spa. We sincerely hope that you will be back to visit us again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

18 months ago we got married at Stanley House and our day was everything we could have wished for and more. The spa was not finished at the time of our wedding so we decided to go back earlier this week to experience the spa as a birthday treat and to remind us of our wedding day.

So many areas of the hotel are wonderful, and deserve recognition, but we also felt that several areas were lacking, and it was these areas that make you feel that you are not getting value for money out of your stay.

It is quite expensive for a night at Stanley House. We spent almost £250 for a 2 course dinner, bed and breakfast, spa entry and a 30 minute massage for 2 people on a Monday. To me this price reflects a hotel set on achieving a high end boutique status.

The staff were pleasant on arrival, we were given a lovely room in the Woodland Suite. On first glance it seemed very modern and comfortable, and the bathroom was fabulous. On closer inspection however it was quite dirty and dusty. Inside of the window frames were covered in cobwebs, and the TV unit was very dusty. I wouldn't normal moan about the back of a TV, but the stand pulled out from the wall so you could watch from the bed, so would be very easy to clean behind. At one point we had a visit from a rather large spider which ran behind the sofa bed, so my husband pulled it out to catch the spider and the back of the sofa bed looked as though it hadn't been cleaned since the Woodland Suite was built 18 months earlier, it was thick with dust. Again, it wasn't difficult to pull the sofa bed out so there was no excuse really. Other amenities were found to be lacking. We really struggled to get the TV to work, even though we followed the instructions to the letter, and the nozzle for the hair dryer kept falling off.

On to our trip to the spa, brilliant facilities and things seemed to magically get done without you noticing the staff doing them. Jugs of juice and water were regularly refilled, several healthy snacks were provided and dirty glasses were cleaned away in the blink of an eye. The spa was very nice and relaxing, and not too busy. It was nice to be able to have a proper beaker of cold water with you in the saunas and steam rooms and not a paper cup, but again some areas were lacking. The windows around the hydrotherapy pool were filthy and the gardens were full of brown plants desperate to be deadheaded which spoilt the view somewhat and the extra salt button in the salt steam room wasn't working.

There are no clocks in the spa so we were collected 5 minutes before our treatment time, but not given time to dry off or collect fresh robes. This wouldn't normally be a problem as I was under the impression that our treatments were at the same time... it was only after I had had my (lovely & very relaxing) massage that I realised my husband hadn't had his yet. He was taken in after me and had a massage by the same therapist. So this mean't that we both had to sit in wet robes for 35-45 minutes each whilst we waited for each other. The spa was very quiet so I'm not sure why we couldn't have stayed in there while we waited for each other, or at least been given the chance to dry off and put a fresh robe on so we weren't so uncomfortable. We also had to change our reservation time at the restaurant as we left the spa a lot later than originally anticipated.

I can't fault the food in the restaurant, it was delicious, and the head waiter was very professional. I'm not sure if the waitress was just trying to make conversation with us but she basically ended up having a good old moan that she was working late and would be back for the breakfast shift too... a whine that she kept up when we saw her again at breakfast the next day. Ahem, its your job!!! I'm a nurse, and you certainly don't catch me wittering on to patients that I have to come back and look after them AGAIN!

Checkout was smooth, but the receptionist didn't ask if we'd enjoyed our stay at all, and didn't really seem to care if we had anyway... a smile would have been nice.

After such a beautiful wedding day, I can sum up our second stay with one word... disappointing. Stanley House was the kind of venue that I had hoped to return to year after year to let memories of our special day wash over us time and time again whilst we celebrate another year of wedded bliss, but I'm sad to say that after this stay I doubt that we will be returning again. The service we received was not worth the money that we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room in the woodland suite, they have floor to ceiling windows which makes th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Penguinlaydee
Thank you for forwarding on your comments. I am naturally disappointed to hear that weren’t entirely happy with your stay with us which you had reserved via our recent discounted offers through Secret Escapes. Having reduced the price of our ever-popular Escape for the Night package from £270.00, we believed that our offer of £225.00 was a fantastic discount and one that many other Secret Escapes guests have been exceedingly happy with and have found to be very good value for money.

I am surprised to hear that you found your room to be dirty as we have such a rigorous cleaning schedule within our housekeeping team and with this along with any TV or hairdryer issue, a quick call to reception and we would have happily solved these for you at the time.

Within the spa, I am so pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your treatments and that you felt everything was completed behind the scenes without you even having to notice it. However I am surprised that if having requested dry robes that our attentive spa staff wouldn’t have provided these for you without question.

I am pleased that we amended your evening dining time so that you had time to prepare after your relaxation in the spa and that you had a very enjoyable meal. I would like to apologise if the waitress came across as ‘having a moan’ at you regarding her working hours. I am sure, as you say, that she was just making conversation but this certainly shouldn't be brought to our guests attention.

Upon checkout, as you had nothing to settle on your account, I am pleased that you found this process to be smooth and swift. The lady that checked you out that morning is one of our most experienced receptionists and I would never have thought that its within her nature to be anything other than friendly and professional. I apologise if you felt this to be the case as your feedback at the time would have been most welcomed by either the receptionist or by myself as the Duty Manager on that morning and we could have discussed all your feedback in person.

In summary, I do appreciate all of your comments and I sincerely apologise for the fact that you felt your stay was disappointing. I note that to say you will not be looking to return to Stanley House Hotel though I feel that would be a terrible shame after you had such a wonderful wedding day with us. We would not be able to restore your faith in us if you are not looking to return. Therefore if you do decide to return in the future, please do let me know personally so that I can add something special to your room as a gesture of goodwill.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Northcote Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!