“Stunning venue, lovely food, expensive drinks!!”

Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went to Stanley House as a wedding guest. On first site the venue looks stunning. Especially the old Manor house.
It was a lovely day so we all went outside while the photos were taken and canapés were served which were delicious. The views are stunning.
The staff serving the food were excellent, it all ran like clockwork, however the bar staff were not as efficient. My husband was turned away from one of the bars after being told he could not serve him as he was a wedding guest.....
The wedding breakfast was excellent, the food was delicious and the staff were so professional, I actually mentioned it the maître de.
The drinks were horrendously expensive. £6 for a vodka ( single) and tonic so be warned.
We didn't stay here for the night as it was fully booked but the honeymoon suite looked fabulous.
Lovely place for a wedding but a tad expensive for drinks if you're there all day.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LoubylouRochdale
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our lovely hotel whilst attending a wedding. We appreciate your comments regarding the price of our beverages, we have researched this and we are on a par with other similar properties within the area. Further to your comment regarding being denied service at one of the bars, as you can appreciate, we have 2 restaurants and can accommodate 2 weddings each day, so to provide the best possible service to all our guests, we do try to keep the areas separate. I'm sure that you can agree that with a wedding day being heavily timebound, so that the day's event keep on track, we do try to keep guests together where possible. Your lovely comments about our beautiful views, delicious food and professional staff are really appreciated, thank you. I do hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I went on a Sunday for the night. The place is totally stunning with beautiful gardens and surrounded by gorgeous countryside. Check in was efficient and friendly.

Our room in the new block was superb with beautiful floor to ceiling windows looking out onto the grounds. The bathroom was large and very well appointed and the bedding was luxurious.

Our massages in the spa were excellent too. The black pudding starter in Mr Fred's was very nice indeed, as was the breakfast set up the following day.

Just a few points that could be improved upon though:-

The spa relaxation room has a filthy cream coloured rug with all sorts of stains on it and the fake olive trees are covered in dust.

The thermal pool wasn't hot at all nor were the heated relaxation beds which were not warm as billed. We had 2 hrs down there until our treatments but there is no clock for you to keep an eye on so you know how long you have left.

My starter of filo wrapped king prawns was not good at all. It was straight out of a box and warmed up. Very similar to a product from the frozen store Iceland. My wife said her fish pie didn't fill her up so its a good job I didn't have one as it wouldn't have touched the sides. And finally, I thought our £11 sharing sundae for dessert was horrific given the price. £6 would have been too much for that. There was no ice cream and in its place was marscapone cheese!! Revolting.

The glasses were clean but all cloudy and scratched and rather unappealing looking.

And finally, our double bed was 2 singles pushed together with a ridge down the centre where they joined which was rather disappointing given the overall quality of the place.

This place could be a real top notch establishment if someone took a grip of it and ironed out the little problems.

All in all I would go back and the main thing I would expect would be better food in Mr Fred's.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Stanley House. I am delighted that you found the majority of your experience to be a positive one. Your constructive feedback is welcomed and will assist us to continue to improve our service and the products that we offer. I do hope that you will return again very soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My friend and I have just returned from an overnight stay including spa access through secret escapes, I'm afraid it's definitely not up to a 5 star rating when it comes to customer service, the accommodation was beautiful and very impressive but when we dined in mr Fred's it was appauling, Sunday night and very quiet but had ran out of our chosen starter then my ribeye steak which I asked for rare was presented medium to well done, I sent it back only to be told they had no more ribeye only sirloin so when that arrived on my plate that was also over cooked hence I sent it back and had NOTHING. Ended up going back to my room starving. Next day at the spa it was very unorganised, all the lockers were taken, we were not asked to fill in a health questionaire as other visitor had, I have to agree with other people on this site in that the windows to the spa were filthy and the outside view was full of weeds, but the ultimate grievance for me was when I had my back massage which should have been a 30 minute treatment was over in just 20 minutes, fortunately I had my watch on my wrist which I'm sure most people wouldn't have when they have just come out of the spa, when the therapist had finished I looked at my watch and said to her I thought this was a 30 minute treatment and she said yes it is, I said but you've only done 20 minutes, she apologised and said oh ill do a bit longer then. Can you imagine how much they are doing guests out of that's a £10 loss over a £30 treatment if they con you out of 10 minutes what a rip off. Also I agree with other people on here, not once did the receptionist ask if we had enjoyed our stay, what a pity as I'd probably would have told her the lot but couldn't be bothered just put it down to experience and never visit again. Mr manager at stanley house you need your staff sorting out.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Spoty007
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear about the issues that you experienced during your time with us. Unfortunately I feel that anything I say at this point will not assist in changing your opinion of Stanley House though I really must say that we do take any complaints very seriously and this is certainly not the impression that we strive for. My utmost apologies to you both.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here on business, huge attention to detail and the whole place is absolutely beautiful. Excellent wifi too which is an unusual one for most rural hotels. I used room service and again this was great, it wasn't made clear that you could order off the normal restaurant menu in your room which I hadn't realised. Only possible downside was I thought the reception service was a bit faceless.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking time to write such a fantastic review, your comments are extremely pleasing to hear though I am sorry that you felt our reception service wasn't as it should have been. I shall speak to my team as this is certainly not the impression that we wish to portray at Stanley House. I sincerely hope that you will be happy to return to us very soon. We do have wonderfully relaxing spa breaks if we can tempt you....

Reviewed 6 July 2014

A lovely venue for afternoon tea. The grounds are beautiful and the venue is tooked away in peaceful countryside. The cakes were delicious, very fresh and a different selection with the typical 'afternoon tea' scones of brownies, banoffie pie and cheesecake. However, it wouldve been nice for a few more sandwiches as they were only small and split between the group did not go far. Secondly, I dont think they took an order off all the group for tea & coffee. We were left sharing and only had one cup of tea. I think they assumed as we ordered wine extra that not everyone wanted a brew.
I would definately return as the food and venue were excellent. There was a wedding in another room and it looked an amazing venue - especially for photgraphs.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Linzalin

Thank you for your kind words about your recent afternoon tea in Mr Fred's. I am delighted to hear that you all had a great time. Your feedback is much appreciated as this information helps us to continue to improve our service so that next time you visit you will be able to see the changes. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My son and his new wife got married in Leyland and we then moved on to Stanley House. As a wedding venue it would be hard to beat. The wedding organiser, Joy, lived up to her name and helped , advised and went out of her way to ensure all was perfect. We arrived to a drinks reception which included an non stop set of fantastic nibbles. All too soon it was time to sit down for the meal. Needless to say the food was out of this world but much more impressive was the fact that everyone was served in good time, I've lost track of the number of weddings I've been to where the top table has finished a course whilst others wait to be served that would never happen here. Into the bar which regains the dining room once it has been cleared from the wedding breakfast. The bar service was excellent and I certainly never had to wait for more than one person before being served. It all made for a fantastic day. As we stayed overnight I'm going to do a separate review for the Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rob B
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. It is so wonderful that your son and new daughter-in-law had such a perfect day and that you all enjoyed yourselves. I do hope that you will not become strangers, please do come back and see us again soon. Perhaps you could treat yourselves to a relaxing spa break?

Reviewed 13 June 2014

For my 18th Birthday I was treated to a spa afternoon with three of my close friends. It was everything I could have wished for and more.
We were booked onto the afternoon spa session with afternoon tea included.
The spa is spotless, modern and luxurious. The staff are wonderful and the thermal suite is heavenly!
Every element of our stay was perfect! No expense spared at all, I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!
Thank-you for an incredible day to remember

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it really is appreciated. So delighted that you had an amazing 18th birthday with us and that you chose to spend such an occasion at Stanley House Hotel & Spa. We sincerely hope that you will be back to visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Millstone at Mellor
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!