“Spa weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Spa weekend”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a weekend spa break for family, we had never been to Stanley House and were not sure what to expect. The hotel was lovely, we stayed in the spa rooms with lovely views over the fields plenty of ducklings and rabbits to watch, the rooms were excellent. We each had a treatment on the Saturday followed by an evening meal in the restaurant. We could choose any options off the menu and had 3 courses as part of the deal the food is fantastic. The next day after breakfast we were booked into the spa to use the thermal rooms and pool. The spa restricts the number of people for each session which makes the experience much more special. All the staff were helpful and friendly we can't wait to go back

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank lucy h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We got married here in 2012 and decided to come for dinner for our anniversary, and although the hotel has undergone big extensions the restaurant (Mr Fred's) was just as good as we remember, the food was fresh and we service was excellent, the hotel always feels clean and have a great wine list, can't wait until next year, but we'd like to try the other restaurant before then.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisAdvisor1981
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit in two months - again a blisteringly hot day. We booked at 1pm for a 1.45 reservation.

We shared a focaccia starter which was good but not much oil to go with it.

Main course was the burger for my partner and crispy Thai Beef salad. Both were deemed excellent but I though my salad was superb - different and very flavoursome. For dessert my partner had black cherry and kirsch arctic roll which she really enjoyed while I had Kalamansi Lime pie with caramel ice cream which I really couldn't fault.

I've only awarded four stars for the following reasons:

When we booked we asked if we could eat outside in shade - we were told that couldn't be guaranteed. Sure enough when we got there there were only two umbrellas out and the associated tables were occupied so we ate inside. That's fine but then we overheard a staff member taking a reservation phone call and he asked if the caller would like sun or shade.

I also think, given the level and price of the restaurant, there should be complementary bread at the beginning of the meal.

Finally it is beyond stingy that there is no chocolate or mint to accompany the lattes we had at the end of the meal.

It's little things like this which elevate a restaurant from very good to excellent.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ian B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

A surprise get away turned into such a lovely couple of days, on arrival we were made to feel very welcome and wished a pleasant stay.
our room in the woodland block of rooms was or should say defiantly made me say WOW out loud, I loved everything about it, beautiful bathroom which had separate shower and bath, the little extras in the bathroom was of quality and the bathrobes was very welcomed and comfy, the separate bath and shower excellent idea when you both have to get ready for dinner.
one of the best things in the room was a dainty bottle of fresh milk in the fridge, other hotels should take note of this as in my 25 years of working and staying in hotels I haven't seen this and for the cost of this, it's rewards should reap in.
The room had a beautiful view and was very comfortable I wish I could have stayed longer, I was looking forward to dinner and had booked bed & breakfast with dinner in the bar restaurant and was planning on changing that to the main restaurant but unfortunately it was closed on a Sunday so we ate in the bar restaurant if I am going to be honest my only minor point of the food was I felt there wasn't enough choice although the food was good the choice didn't wow me.
I slept really well, the curtains were quality and kept the room dark - to my husbands annoyance as he wanted to fall asleep looking at the moon, as soon as he was asleep I shut them.
Breakfast was charming served with a warm welcome and a happy attitude, the food was hot and plenty of choice.
in summary a hotel that I wished I could have stayed longer and sampled the spa, great welcome, fantastic rooms and surroundings, food good would have loved the main restaurant menu over the bar restaurant menu, loved my surprise get away and cant wait to go back thank you staff you were all great.

Room Tip: all rooms there look excellent, I was in room 18
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Each year my husband and I stay somewhere a little special for our wedding anniversary and this year we chose Stanley House Hotel. We have just returned from two nights in one of the Woodland rooms, and whilst it was a shame we weren't in the house itself, the room was extremely well presented and highly spec'd, my husband loved the huge walk-in shower and the views were a real pleasure to wake up to. The gardens were very well tended, the ducks in the pond were entertaining to watch, as were the rabbits and we even saw a stoat crossing the lawn. All the staff were extremely courteous and couldn't have been more helpful, and whether passing us in the corridor, in the gardens or waiting on us in Mr Fred's restaurant, we were always met with a smile and a friendly welcome. The excellent breakfast was reason enough to get up each morning, even on holiday. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula D
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you so much for your amazing comments. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us for your anniversary and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Hopefully we will see you 'up the hill' again very soon for another relaxing treat.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I love going to Spas and when visiting my friend this weekend she insisted we go to her local Spa. I didn't use the hotel or restaurant just the spa.
It is a very lovely , well decorated small spa . The facilities were spotless and I really like the vanity tables within the shower room . A little bit like your own en suite and dressing rooms . My friend and I both had fully body massages . Our therapists were called Chloe and Georgie. I can honestly say it was the best massage I have had in a long time. Incredibly firm pressure and fluide movements meant I was knot free by the time she had finished . The team I encountered were incredibly professional and knowledgable . If the hotel as the same standards then it would make a great weekend break . Would definitely go again and I am a 90 minute drive away

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and use the hot/ cold rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lilybuttons
What a wonderful review, thank you so much. It is so lovely to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your first visit to the Spa at Stanley House and hopefully when you return, you could book a thoroughly relaxing Escape for the Night spa package, with a little of everything included....
Rochdale
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We went to Stanley House as a wedding guest. On first site the venue looks stunning. Especially the old Manor house.
It was a lovely day so we all went outside while the photos were taken and canapés were served which were delicious. The views are stunning.
The staff serving the food were excellent, it all ran like clockwork, however the bar staff were not as efficient. My husband was turned away from one of the bars after being told he could not serve him as he was a wedding guest.....
The wedding breakfast was excellent, the food was delicious and the staff were so professional, I actually mentioned it the maître de.
The drinks were horrendously expensive. £6 for a vodka ( single) and tonic so be warned.
We didn't stay here for the night as it was fully booked but the honeymoon suite looked fabulous.
Lovely place for a wedding but a tad expensive for drinks if you're there all day.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LoubylouRochdale
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our lovely hotel whilst attending a wedding. We appreciate your comments regarding the price of our beverages, we have researched this and we are on a par with other similar properties within the area. Further to your comment regarding being denied service at one of the bars, as you can appreciate, we have 2 restaurants and can accommodate 2 weddings each day, so to provide the best possible service to all our guests, we do try to keep the areas separate. I'm sure that you can agree that with a wedding day being heavily timebound, so that the day's event keep on track, we do try to keep guests together where possible. Your lovely comments about our beautiful views, delicious food and professional staff are really appreciated, thank you. I do hope that we can welcome you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Northcote Hotel
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!