“Brilliant Stay”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hebden B&B and Inns
Midlands
“Brilliant Stay”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Clarendon whilst touring the Yorkshire Dales with our young baby. Not only is the location perfect but Hayley and Ash, the owners, were fabulous. Having never stayed in a hotel with our son before we were slightly anxious about all the practicalities of being away with such young baby but we did not need to be. We were located in a quiet part of the hotel, where our son could sleep in peace and not disturb others, a travel cot and bedding was provided and we were quite free to leave our food in a fridge if needed. As a young family, we felt completely welcome.

In addition to the above, the hotel has a nice atmosphere, is well decorated and serves a range of good drinks, including local beers. We ate there for three nights and were not disappointed; the food was excellent. Our room was spacious with television and coffee making facilities. Although the bathroom was small it had everything you needed (apart from a bath; we had a shower cubicle).

The staff were all friendly and professional. Attentive but not intrusive, as we like.

All in all, great place, great food, great value for money. We would highly recommend and would stay again if we planned another trip in the area.

Many thanks!!!!

All in all we had a great time

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My partner and I dined at the Clarendon 3 times in May when we were staying locally. The first time we had slow cooked lamb and it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Also had a pork fillet and bacon stack - also quite good. Our next meal there was on a Sunday, so of course we had the Sunday roast. Roast beef was good and plentiful. Roast potatoes were crispy and the veg were cooked to perfection. The Yorkshire pudding, however, was pretty terrible - inedible, in fact. The dessert - sticky toffee pudding was good - tasted home-made. Our 3rd meal there was not good at all, My chicken breast stuffed with basil was entirely forgettable, and if there was basil in it, I couldn't taste it. My partner had pasta - bore little resemblance to the description on the menu and wasn't very nice at all. Dessert was an apple and rhubarb crumble which was to die for - really good and PLENTY of it. On all three nights, the service was friendly and helpful. The atmosphere in the hotel was good. Although I have rated the Clarendon "Average", Its variability makes it hard to rate accurately. If I had reviewed it after our first meal, I would have given it an "Excellent". If I had reviewed it after only the 3rd meal, I would have rated it poor. I guess, like most places they have their strengths and weaknesses.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DibleyDi
Parramatta, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Wonderful welcoming staff. We had 3 meals here as it was a short walk from our accommodation. The first meal (Thurs night) was absolutely wonderful 10 out of 10 for both our meals (slow roast lamb and basal stuffed chicken fillet with stilton sauce). My second meal (Sat) was very disappointing (pasta with creamy basil sauce with supposedly a pork fillet) this was nothing like the description on the menu!), but my partner enjoyed their meal. Tonight we were back there again after a tiring day hiking and we had the Sunday roast. Meat was scarce and a bit tough but lovely flavour, yorkshire pudding (no go!) and 2 measly roast potatoes plus a bowl of boiled veg). Disappointing after a great start. Not sure if they had a different chef on?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here whilst doing part of the dales way. We were made very welcome, room was clean and inviting. Had dinner here - one of the best pub meals I have had in a while. Dog was made very welcome. Breakfast was really yummy and set us up for a days walking. All the staff here were very friendly and welcoming. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Warwickshire
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We were staying in Hebden and decided to walk to the local pub. We had problems getting a table because it was so busy. Decor was unpretentious and dated but we liked that. A genuine local pub. However the food was excellent. We were really surprised at the quality and reasonable cost. The staff were really busy but very helpful. When the rush had died down the bar lady came over and had a joke with us. The owner was very pleasant too. No wonder they were so busy. We will definitely return when in the area.

Room Tip: Did not stay there so can't comment
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Moira, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We had been out all day walking in the Yorkshire Moors and came across this hotel and called in for an evening meal (they start serving at 6PM at this time of year) 1st thing to say is they have a vast range of food to choose from, and a good range of prices. Also you can have a starter as a main if you like the look of them. By the size of what we could see of the starters you have no need to up the starter to a main as the portions are generous. I'm had an 8oz rib-eye (that was more like 10oz) it was cooked perfectly to my taste and was very tender. It came with the most tasty onion rings I have had in a long time, salad and chips all cooked in lard (I think by the taste). The Staff are very friendly and I have this hotel on my list of places to stay at when up in Yorkshire again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CMRMidlandsUK
Golspie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Clarendon Hotel at Hebden is in the beautiful Craven district of Wharfedale. It was a wet and gloomy day when we stopped there for lunch. The welcome was a bit sharp, to be honest: they were catering for a large party of walkers who were assembling there for lunch, and we got the distinct impression that they were at full stretch, that we were more of a hindrance than paying customers.

Nonetheless, the food was good, and the prices about right. One thing we were disappointed with was that the menu wasn't fully explained. We were having sandwiches, but fancied two bowls of chips between the three of us; nobody told us that the sandwiches we ordered came with chips, so we ended up with enough chips to feed the walkers ourselves. It was probably the sheer numbers, but the whole experience was a little more satisfactory than genuinely good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Hayley C, Owner at Clarendon Inn, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Wet weather seems to be a frequent topic of conversation throughout the country. Walkers patronising our pub is always something we are always happy to see (if sometimes a little surprised that they are out on such dreadful days) with this in mind we do run a very tight ship as far as staffing is concerned as there are some days when we don't expect to see anyone wandering the beautiful scenery and quite litterally a bus load arrive along with other people who are perhaps taking a drive out. Getting staffing levels is always tricky & I can only apogise if we did seem to be working at full stretch. With regard to our menu not being explained again I do apologise, however in our defence (not an excuse, just a possible explanation) if there were a number of people in the bar area it sometimes is impossible to see where each person comes from and maybe our member of staff thought there were more people within your party.
I would like to assure you that your points have been noted and should you be in our area again in hopefully better weather you will come and enjoy our good food and decent pub atmosphere.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hebden
The Devonshire Hotel
The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale
Stone House Hotel
Stone House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hawes

Been to Clarendon Inn? Share your experiences!