“Room #7 --> 411 & Need 2 know”

The Sylvan Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Glen Arbor B&B and Inns
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Room #7 --> 411 & Need 2 know”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

2 twin beds with "very soft" mattresses. Hall tree, hooks with hangers, one large dresser with 4 lg drawers and 2 smaller ones at top. Queen Anne chair in corner, tiny sink near window (only one window in room) and two luggage racks. Room is on first floor near the "coffee" and "hot cocoa" area. There is a distinct smell of a juniper bush (if window is open) when u walk in...not pleasant. We have stayed here before, but off-season. Dif experience In-Season. We knew of the Sylvan's continental breakfast...I prefer it because it is healthy. Their scones are fantastic BTW. The only suggestion would be to extend the time a little on the weekends. FYI: 1st floor only has one bathroom if yr sharing. Best to stay upstairs (which we did last time).
Most of the time, we are doing outdoor activities in Glen Arbor. So, we are NOT in the room for very long. Sidebar: It is time to replace the twin mattresses in the room ;^). Also, the prices at the restaurants can be $$$$.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank PJ_Cruzer_Kitty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lennon, Michigan
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The Sylvan Inn is in the perfect location to enjoy Glen Arbor, walking distance to the entire downtown restaurants and shopping. Our room was quiet, clean and comfortable and the Innkeepers were helpful and friendly. They even helped us find a "hidden" beach that was wonderful. Breakfast good too. Highly recommend!

Stayed August 2014
Livonia, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sylvan Inn in July for a long weekend, as we wanted to get away for our anniversary. When we booked the room, I was asked "how many years are you celebrating"? When I told him, I also asked if they had any anniversary specials or discounts....unfortunately, no. (so, then, why ask me how many years were we celebrating!). I then thought that perhaps a nice surprise like a bottle of local wine might be waiting for us in the room.. no, that didn't happen either.

We had a nice room off the parking lot - room #1. I wasn't too bothered by it being next to the owners home and right off the parking lot. I liked that we had our own bathroom and it felt private. Nicely decorated, but it had a very bad musty smell even though the windows were open. The refrigerator had a very bad garlic odor and I'm surprised it wasn't cleaned better. Whomever cleaned the fridge should have noticed the garlic smell and should have done something about it. (clean with baking soda and water and the smell would be gone!) The shower had a water saver showerhead and it wasn't very pleasant to use, at all! It actually hurt as the water pelted down on me. But, these are small complaints.

Over the past few years, we've stayed in many B&Bs. We like them because we have a great experience, we meet wonderful people, and the breakfasts are usually well above par and unforgettable. The breakfasts are usually served in a common dining room or area where people can talk to get to know each other. Sorry to say, that wasn't the case with the Sylvan Inn. The breakfast consisted of nothing more than yogurt, fresh fruit, and a home made baked item. We would go and get the food and then bring it back to our room because there really wasn't anywhere to sit, eat, or mingle with other guests. One day we went in town to get a real breakfast. This was very disappointing to me. When we are paying such high rates to stay there, I really expected much more than a mediocre (at best) breakfast.

I guess my overall review is that Glen Arbor is a great town! Love the bike trail through the woods to the other towns, the dunes, etc. We rode 17 miles one day and it was so nice, we didn't even realize it. Also we took some fantastic photos! The entire area is beautiful and worth a visit! But, I really expected much more from the Sylvan Inn given the high price we paid.

Would I go back? Maybe. Only, if they lowered the price of our room, now that I know it really doesn't include breakfast...it includes a morning snack. A couple of suggestions: If you know a couple is celebrating a special occasion, perhaps doing something extra for them upon their arrival, would be a nice touch, (a bottle of local wine, a small box of chocolates, a hand written note). These items wouldn't cost you much, could be written off as a business expense, and would make it much nicer for your guests. People remember the nice little touches that make them feel special! Also, get rid of the old water saver shower heads! This, along with the limited selection of breakfast items, only tells me that you are trying to save every buck possible and don't care if your guests are comfortable or not.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are private rooms with their own bathroom. Decorated nicely.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cindy G
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great room. We stayed in the treetop room, with lots of windows and light. At night we sat out on the balcony and there wasn't a sound anywhere. Breakfast was delicious with warm scones, fresh bread, cheese, fruit, cereal. The location couldn't have been better. We walked to restaurants, music, and L. Michigan. Almost deserted beaches and super hiking trails were just a short drive away. Owners had great recommendations for things to do, where to eat.

Room Tip: Treetop room was terrific,mail though pricey.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mooresville, Indiana
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Made last minute (1 month out) reservations. I think we had the worst rooms at the place. Right off the room that served breakfast / main entrance. That being said, it was a good stay. I'd stay again.

The owners are great, very hospitable and friendly (kind of a prerequisite), but they're always available and ready to answer questions or help out.

The place is clean, breakfast is good. It's more of a continental breakfast/buffet, (come and eat anytime between 8-9). Terrific outdoor seating on the porch to eat or just relax. Location is awesome, walking distance to everything.

Stayed July 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Everything went fine here and the location was on Main Street but at the end so the hustle and bustle was elsewhere leaving the evenings quiet. My room was exceedingly dark, very dark paint on the walls which felt a bit gloomy although very clean. It was also warm, just the configuration made the windows useless for cooling the room so I had to use the air conditioning even though it was quite cool outside. The breakfast wasn't something I could imbibe in as I have a gluten intolerance and everything had gluten. But with everything within walking distance, including beach, it was ok. The price seemed maybe a little hefty but again, it was clean, quiet and sufficient. They try to offer plenty of places to sit outside to chat or eat a meal which was nice.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for rooms on the west and north sides of the building to add quiet. But check t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The inn was very well maintained. We had a room with a private bathroom and a small refrigerator. Our room was cleaned daily and fresh towels were brought in. We were within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants in Glen Arbor. The Heritage Bike Trail was just across the street and led to most of the sites in Sleeping Bear Dunes. The owners were very helpful about giving us information about good trails and what sites not to miss. All of their recommendations were spot on. We enjoyed the hot tub daily as well. They even gave us little beach balls to take home to our boys. Next year we'll come back with the whole family!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City
M-22 Inn Glen Arbor
M-22 Inn Glen Arbor
#2 of 3 in Glen Arbor

Been to The Sylvan Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!