“It was okay”

Comfort Inn Grand Blanc
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Grand Blanc
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed for a few nights.

First, the positives: Good location (off the highway), nice breakfast selection, overall friendly staff. Fairly clean. Loved that the room had a fridge and microwave.

Negatives: Our room and the entire second floor hallway reeked of smoke even though this is advertised as a non-smoking hotel. The smoke smell settled in our shower curtain and linens and didn't get any better at all during our 4 day stay. There is only one person who works the night shift, so nobody is able to "monitor" the floors in the evening. Each night there were people shouting, running, and slamming doors on the second floor. Our last night was especially awful - a family/group stayed on our floor and started partying around 11 p.m. and were still going when we checked out at 4 a.m. to catch our flight. We alerted the front desk, and he said there were other complaints about this group from several other guests and they had been kicked out of the pool area at 3 a.m. for being so loud. They were in the halls with bottles of booze and smoking and shouting to each other down the hallway. He said since it was just him, he couldn't monitor them, but how many complaints should he have gotten before they were asked to leave? Overall it was a nice stay. His attitude seemed like he was shrugging it off and there wasn't much he could do.

Overall, it has a basic motel feel - fairly clean but not exceptional. Good if you are traveling and need a place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank igotoou

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We were attending a wedding in Grand Blanc and a block of rooms had been reserved at this hotel for guests. As I am a person who is allergic to dogs and cats, we had concerns as it is a pet friendly hotel. When I called, the front desk person said pets were restricted to a section of rooms on the first floor so they booked us into a room on the second floor, well away from the pet friendly section. The first day we were there, as I was leaving our room, I heard a dog barking in the room right across the hall! When I said something to the person at the front desk, they said they had made an exception for this particular guest as he was staying at the hotel long-term. I tried to explain that dog/cat allergens can linger in a room long after the pet is gone and it would be a problem for an allergy/asthma sufferer to have that room, they didn't seem to understand the issue.

Our room was clean, but rather small in size. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet - hot, scrambled eggs with bacon/sausage as well as the typical breakfast buffet items.

Internet service was spotty. We were able to access the internet on Saturday, but not on Sunday or Monday morning. We were told that they were having a tech person come look at the problem sometime on Monday.

The pool area was lovely and very clean.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Nicely updated, very clean hotel. Comfortable accomodations. We didn't use the pool area, but it appeared clean and well kept. Breakfast was your normal hot buffet style. The staff was keeping it well stocked. The eating establishments are limited immediately around the hotel, but more selections are a short drive away. Just ask the helpful desk staff for directions.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sadiesmom40
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I've had a lot of trouble finding good lodging in the Flint area. The hotel looked nice from the outside, and the room itself was pretty good. The selection of t.v. channels was a little below average. The location is not a big plus. There's very little in the way of food choices nearby, so everything is a drive to get to. Also, the layout didn't work well for hauling in loads of work gear, but that doesn't apply to most people. The hotel itself was okay. The big issues I had were with the staff. With the exception of one worker at the front desk, no one really seemed to care all that much. I know it's work and workers would rather be somewhere else, but there has to be an effort to hide that fact. I really didn't see that effort most of the time. The worst episode was after the second night. At the continental breakfast, I saw the worker scrapping material off of the waffle iron. That's fine so far. Blowing on it to remove the leavings was not. That only violates every aspect of food handling/preparation that exists. Needless to say, I didn't touch the continental breakfast the rest of the stay (and they probably weren't to thrilled about the note I left at the breakfast area warning other guests about the waffle iron! Hey, just looking out for my fellow guests!) I informed the manager and it took over five days to get a resolution out of it. There's no reason it should have taken that long. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Check into another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank travelbobKalamazoo
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We were looking for a quiet place to stay for a night during July 4th weekend. This hotel was exactly what we were looking for. It's quiet but still close to the city. We had a dog, which they accomodated, but I think the $50 pet fee was a little much. The room was big enough for two adults, one toddler, and one dog. We had a little trouble with the room key. I took the dog for a walk early one morning and got locked out of the hotel because my key wouldn't unlock the outside door. I had to walk around the front of the hotel to get back to my room.

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel and I was not impressed with the "hot breakfast" either time. The eggs are pretty soggy and the selection of fruit is limited. Each time we stayed there I was told they were out of yogurt. I prefer a light, healthy breakfast, so the huge waffles, biscuits and gravy, and donuts didn't really do it for me.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jenncutt
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel was very nice and the staff was extremely helpful. There was an issue with our key that was resolved immediately with very friendly service, and we were provided with a small discount. It's nothing special, but a nice, clean, affordable place to stay. The free breakfast was also good.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank suzer03
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I'm not really sure what the hotel situation is in Flint, but this one wasn't close to anything so unless you have a car do not stay here.

The beds were pretty comfortable, the room was clean and the staff was mostly friendly (though every time I called the front desk for towels they told me to "go find the maid in the hallway and get some off the cart" ???). But we supposedly got a "group rate" of about $78/night with taxes and that seemed a bit pricey for the location of this hotel.

It was also frustrating that there was no fan in the bathroom, just a "heat lamp" that didn't put out much heat anyway.

• Stayed: February 2011
Courtyard Flint Grand Blanc
Holiday Inn Flint
Holiday Inn Flint
#4 of 17 in Flint

Been to Comfort Inn Grand Blanc? Share your experiences!