“Never ever go to this place....they are unprofessional”
Review of Hilltop cabins

Hilltop cabins
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We had booked this place for memorial day weekend 2 weeks before the holiday. However, as I got ill, I had to cancel it, which I did 2-3 days before we were actually supposed to leave. We called up to cancel and the lady on the phone (Jeanatte) said that she would do the refund and it would take 7-10 business days for that.
So we waited that period of time and even for 2 more weeks. When we could not see the refund, I called up and again the lady on the phone said, the refund may take some more time depending on the bank.
It's been more than 2 months and we still haven't got the refund back.
Now they don't even pick up my call. When I called up from a different number, the lady(same one) picked up and she said she will have to check in the system if the refund was made. When I asked her if I could know her name, she she said there was a problem in the line and disconnected it. Also, when I tried calling again, which was a min after the phone was disconnected, no one picked up.
What does it say about this place????
It seems like they don't care about customer satisfaction.
They will only entertain the people till they pay them

I am really disappointed by their business.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kash413

Reviewed 3 July 2013

After being in the woods for days, and dealing with the bugs, this was our saving grace. What a sweet setup,up on the hill, great view! Rooms were super clean and nice, and everything for breakfast was home made. I would love to go back someday.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We have been staying at Hilltop Cabins for the last 7 years . Jeanette is always great to make our reservations with and the cabins are clean quiet and down home. Not to mention the great Plum Muffins she makes. I would never think of staying anywhere else while in the Grand Marais. I hope she will continue to draw the great people that she has in the past and not the ones that want to be waited on hand and foot . I have shared my great trips to this great place with many friends just hope they likewise share with good people so this can continue to be a great place .Counting the days till our getaway this year. I have never wrote a review before because I wanted to keep this great get away a secret shame on me LOL. Rex and Karen Indiana

Room Tip: All the cabins are great
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karen w
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We have stayed at the Hilltop MANY times and have enjoyed ourselves so much. We have even opted to go up and have Thanksgiving here two years in a row! Incredibly hard working owner and staff that have our stay at heart! They strive for perfection, but like all of us are not perfect. If we have ever needed ANYTHING, it has always been graciously provided. WE lOVE LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

1  Thank KellylovesGM
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Where do I begin? We made online reservations 10 days in advance and requested a specific room (which they showed was available for that date). They also required a credit card to hold the room and a time of arrival (which we furnished), and we received our confirmation. Upon our arrival, we found no one there! A note on the door stated that she was gone SHOPPING, and they would be back later that night!! We tried calling their cell phone THREE TIMES over the next 6 hours and left messages on their voice mail each time, but they wouldn't even answer or return our calls. We also noticed that the room we reserved was ALREADY OCCUPIED!! So we were forced to find lodging elsewhere (at 9:30 P.M.).

The following morning we went back and talked to the owner, who was the most unprofessional business person we ever dealt with! She claims she never received our reservation even though we had a confirmation number, and really didn't seem to care one way or another.Her attitude was just UNBELIEVABLE!! The fact that they wouldn't bother to return 3 phone calls or even apologize for the SNAFU tells us they didn't even CARE about our business!

One other thing...there is only ONE motel unit and TWO cabins that have views of the water.

We were disappointed all the way around!

Deal with this place at your own risk!

9  Thank Arieslady_me
Jeanette B, Front Office Manager at Hilltop cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

We at Hilltop Cabins and Motel would like to Thank You for your review. We apologize for this very unfortunate incident and appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We have looked into this matter and would like to inform you that we did not have you on our books nor did we find your credit card had been charged. If you do show or find later that you have been charged please bring this to our attention so we can rectify this promptly.

Being that we are in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan we try not to provide cell numbers when we are out of the office. The service UP her is hit and miss. For this reason we have our business line that gives our guest an option to leave a message and when we return home we will return all messages. Our other option we offer is we leave a note on the office door letting our arriving guest know that we have their room ready and they are free to go into their room along with the phone numbers of the Office Manager who lives close to handle what may arise. Had we known that we had guest arriving while we were out of the office this option would have been done. The owner at Hilltop Cabins and Motel apologized profusely and felt horrible that this issue had arose.

We try our best to accomodate all our guest as best we possibly can. We have staff on hand or a phone call away for their conveniance. However, we are not free of issues like any other business. This being said we at Hilltop Cabins and Motel would like to offer you a Free night stay in return for this mishap. If you wish to claim this please call 906-494-2331. Ask for the Office Manager Tiffani and we will accomodate you as we wish for all of our guest to be cared for. Again, Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we wish you a very happy day.

Hilltop Cabins and Motel
TSH

Business Phone: 906-494-2331

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The cabins were wonderful and had the whole "hunting" theme going on. It did take quite a while for the room to heat up so I don't even want to imagine how it is in the Winter. Everyone was very nice and friendly. For breakfast I had homemade muffins and they were one of the best things I've ever eaten. Beautiful view. I would recommend if going with a larger group of friends or family.

2  Thank lflopezq
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and loved it. Some of the reviewers says the place is out dated, but it's upper Michigan. We loved it. The Knotty Pine walls and ceilings were great. They have a very nice Rec Room also. Staff was very friendly and the price was not to bad for a stand alone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Honey moon sweet and thought it was nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank hunteris40

Been to Hilltop cabins? Share your experiences!