“I fell in love with Grand Marais”
Review of Hilltop cabins

Hilltop cabins
Clarkston, MI.
“I fell in love with Grand Marais”
Reviewed 19 August 2010

My husband and I stayed in a cabin with our 14 year old daughter and her friend and our two sons, ages 6 and 9 years old. We had just enough room in the very clean and cozy cabin. Sharing one bathroom with two teenage girls is always a challenge. We really enjoyed the high pressure hot shower. The kitchen had everything we need to make and eat family meals. The BBQ and picnic table was also put to good use. Grand Marais is absolutely beautiful. There is a quite, sandy beach right at the bottom of the hill as well as a very close public beach loaded with great skipping rocks. We explored several nearby waterfalls and had a blast on the sand dunes. The sunsets over Lake Superior are amazing. Hilltop cabins is an excellent location to accomodate a group for a get together with friends or familydue to the variety of cabins and motels.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Clarkston_MI_Carol

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Michigan
Reviewed 11 August 2010

The motel and cottages have been lovingly renovated with an "upnorth" theme that is well done. We stayed in room #12 of the motel. It was a large room, two double beds, flat screen TV, refrigerator and microwave. The large deck overlooking Lake Superior and the sunsets was my favorite spot, followed by the gorgeous "public" beach just down the hill. The beach is obviously a well kept secret as the trail to it was not marked and there was no one there the two hours that we were there. It was great for swimming, rock hunting and gazing at the big lake while protected in a cove.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank morningglorymichigan
Aurora, Ohio
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I love the little town of Grand Marais and always stay at Hilltop Cabins. If I couldn't get a room at Hilltop I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The rooms and cabins are all clean and well kept. Now you much understand this is the U.P. not Maui. The other review must of had higher expectations. You are in a very remote location that gets battered by snow & wind. Most travelers to this area are here for the nature not the fancy accomodations. I've always had friendly service when i've stayed there. The owner's have actually gone out of there way to be helpful with touring advice, forgotten items and accomadating requests. Once when I stayed there the possibly saved two lives by calling Search & Rescue for two travelers that they noticed hadn't came back to thier room that night. Now how many Inn Keepers care that much about thier patrons. I'd be happy to give anyone a recommendation to stay at Hilltop Cabins.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luvinature
Birmingham
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I would not recommend this place. The hosts seemed unhappy to be in this business. I felt like I was imposing whenever I had a need or question.

While the cabins are clean and provide the basic necessities, that is about all there is to recommend the place. The kitchen was equipped with only the barest of necessities, and the decor is sparse and uninspired.

The hosts have a great location and opportunity to create a hospitable environment, but it seems that their hearts are not in this business. We would not go back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank Deb052

Been to Hilltop cabins? Share your experiences!