“Beware of room #11”
Review of Dunes Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Dunes Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Grand Marais
Pentwater, Michigan
“Beware of room #11”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

If you are determined to stay in Grand Marais, and can't meet the Voyageur Inn minimum night requirement, you don't have many options. As others have stated, the owners are nice and helpful, the room rate is inexpensive, and the location is good for walking into town to the beach or restaurants/bars.

However, I wish I had picked another town, rather than stay in Grand Marais, at the Dunes in room #11. During the night, we had a visit from a bat as well as an uncomfortable, lumpy mattress. I live in a rural area of Michigan, and see bats regularly, however, not in living space. (& no, we didn't let it in through an open window or door).

Also, the WIFI doesn't reach to room #11 (end unit), but there are picnic tables outside the office & WIFI does reach there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JudyR-D

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Paradise, Michigan
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here when our backpacking trip through Pictured Rocks got cut short due to severe thunderstorms. We were happy with the low price ($55 for one queen), clean room, and close proximity to Lake Superior Brewing Company (5 minute walk). The owners were very nice and super friendly. The building is old, and the rooms are outdated, but they are clean. We were pleasantly surprised to find the T.V. had cable, including ESPN. We even felt comfortable sleeping with the door open, and enjoyed the nice breezes that swept through the room during the all-night thunderstorm!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YooperSpartan
Oakwood, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We spent 11 days on vacation here. Of which 4 of the days we had 20 people with us that we rented 4 rooms for because of our sons 21 birthday party. I must say that the owners were great, if we needed anything it was taken care of. This was one of our family best vacation. we will be going back for years to come.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Glenn W
Round Lake Beach, Illinois
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Born and raised in Michigan I’ve been all over the state and now I tour on my motorcycle, then in 2008 I rediscovered Grand Marais, MI which I now call my second home and the best place on Earth! I like the Dunes because the owners are very friendly and it is walking distance to downtown. Now it is a very old motel and not everything is in perfect condition but it is clean and comfortable. I have stayed there many times March thru November and never an issue, it’s quiet and I get a great night’s sleep when I am there. There is a TV with decent reception but I do not go here to watch TV. They do have wireless so I can keep connected to the world. The bathrooms are small but they work and there is plenty of hot water when taking a shower. There has also been a fridge in every room I have stayed in so far and that is 9 of 11 rooms. This trip I was in unit 11 for the first time and it has two double beds and the bath room is a little bigger with a bath tub vs. a shower stall. For the price this is a great value for the area and I cannot wait to get back up there and check into the Dunes Motel.

Room Tip: It might cost a bit more but Unit 11 is the way to go
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank sjroach
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,388 helpful votes
Reviewed 7 September 2011

A fellow TA member suggested this motel in Grand Marais. We stayed one night, a Friday night. We arrived late, and everything was locked tight in the office. No light on. The sign was not on. I think we told them we'd be coming in late. But the owner saw our car headlights and came and unlocked the door. We registered and asked a few questions, and she was very friendly and helpful.

I walked to our room, while DH parked. The driveway is dirt/gravel. The yard street side was not cut at all. There are huge spider webs (Yes, we know this is a wilderness area) along the walk to the rooms and I am talking big. So watch for that! The rooms are old and tired at this small motel (maybe 8 rooms) but I think it depends on what room you get. We went and borrowed pillows from another room and that room I borrowed from was quite a bit nicer. Some had A/C units, some didn't. Ours did not.

We had a double bed, it was comfortable, bedding OK. Table with lamp. I asked for and got an alarm clock, otherwise not in room. NO phone in room. TV was older, but worked fine. No remote. There are two overstuffed chairs in the room, and though comfortable, took up a lot of room and one sank way down. There is a desk with drawers and a lamp above. 2 drawer dresser. Pretty banged up furniture. Also a round table by the door, but no chairs. One luggage rack and an open closet-no hangars. We slept with the windows open but it was still quite warm in the room. There are nice screen doors in addition to the regular door, so you could leave that open for more air circulation if you wanted too.

The bathroom-very small. You will have an interesting experience closing the bathroom door, sitting on the toilet and using the toilet paper roll dispenser-LOL! Shower small and shower head duct taped. It worked, but pressure was not real good. The floor was caving in-and I do mean caving in. The floor underneath seems to be rotting and the linoleum is cracking and breaking. A very odd feeling. Heating pipes were rusting out. Bar soap provided, no shampoo or hair dryer. Towels good.

Place was clean. Check out fine; price low. I'd check out other motels in town. Located up the hill on M-77. Easy walk into town-2 blocks?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Boarders Inn and Suites by Cobblestone Munising
Hilltop cabins
Hilltop cabins
#1 of 3 in Grand Marais

Been to Dunes Motel? Share your experiences!