“Gross”
Review of North Shore Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
North Shore Lodge
Reviewed 4 September 2012

All the bad reviews are true, unfortunately. Even though we weren't expecting much, this was still worse than anticipated. There's a plastic sheet on the mattress, an outhouse would almost be a better bathroom, there were scary stains in the shower, the toilet, the frig. Flies in the room. We did all we could to stay away from the room until we were so tired we'd drop off immediately - but it's a lousy way to spend a vacation evening, dreading the night ahead. They shouldn't advertise as they do - it's all misleading or outright lies. I'm so glad I wasn't traveling with my children - I'd have been furious.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary E

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Four of us stayed in one of North Shore Lodge's cabins for a week in mid August. We had read all of the terrible reviews and therefore knew what we were getting into. So why go? It was a nostalgia fishing trip for my husband and his cousin. They used to stay at Welkers every year but the last time was 1993, when expectations and prices were lower. We brought everything we thought we might need, as if we were going primitive camping. If you don't expect much you won't be disappointed! However, this doesn't excuse the fact that there are no shelves to get your things off the floor, the warped front door didn't lock, we had to find a board to put over the weak threshold so we wouldn't fall through, et cetera. – Even though the cabins are very near the lake, I wouldn't recommend North Shore.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

$117.00 for lone nasty dirty unmaintained rundown dump. Stay anywhere but here. Open doors and lots of flies. I was on a motorcycle or I would not have stayed. The toilet looked cleaner the hot tub. Beyond unacceptable.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank cmdrdpdblue
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed a few nights there & trash wasn't picked up at all. They only cleaned room once in a 3 day stay. Had to ask for towels, toilet paper, as they didn't even check during the 3 days. Said they had ice cream but haven't had since April but sign out front says they do. Clincher was they didn't discount our room at all when told of poor service. Would not recommend at all. Other nice motels in this beautiful area so use them. Would never return.

Room Tip: Avoid North Shore Lodge & use other lodging in area.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott T
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Don't stay here! Keep driving! The only thing positive I can say about this place is that there was a young person working at the front desk that tried to help us when the first 2 rooms we were given had TV's that didn't work. Finally the 3rd room had TV that worked, but the lock on the door in such disrepair that we almost couldn't get it open the second time we tried it. There's trash strewn about the grounds, the plants weren't watered and drooping. The building that had the pool in it had a vesibule entry with lots of cigarette butts and even an old chicken bone in the corner. No one cleans this place very well. Either these owners don't care or they are in way over their heads. To top it all off, someone siphoned off 1/2 tank of our car gas during the night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
1  Thank walker61
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I am very familiar with this resort. My parents stayed here 30 years ago, when it was Welker's Lodge. I remember when the pool and hot tub rooms were new. Too bad that over the years no one has kept it up. We are in room 34. it is the second floor of what I remember to be the newest building.The carpet is the same as 20 years ago, although still in good shape. The beds were clean and still firm mattresses. The old wood paneling has been freshly painted. The bathroom fixtures are older and mismatched, but still work. The sink needs a stopper. Bespreads are newer looking. Towels were new and fluffy. Housekeeping cleaned our room and vacuumed up the sand we had tracked in. Room is large with room for 2 or 3 full size inflatable air mattresses. and could sleep 8 easily. Long closet rod to hand clothes. small old 19 inch tv with cable. new light over vanity. The wifi would stop working, but I went to the office and the night clerk/boy would kindly reboot the modem/router for me. The proximity to the beach and the sound of the surf is the reason to stay here. No phone, microwave, or fridge in the room. No ice or pop machine for guests....I really miss that luxury, especially after the fish dinner I ate at the Lake Superior Brewing company. People over 50 should be put on the ground floor. I asked, but they were full. I was charged $99 per night, but was told that non air conditioned rooms were $89 a night. I plan on asking for a refund of the difference in the morning. Is this too much for this hotel? YES!, but you pay for location and this is lakefront. The restaurant is not open. The owner of the hotel owns the Americ Inn in Munising..a very nicely kept hotel. Why would he not fix this one up the same? He is missing out on cornering the market here in Grand Marais. I will try another place in town the next time, unless the price drops below the other hotels in town.

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled one, they may come with a fridge or microwave, and maybe even a telephone...
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The location near the beach was very nice but almost everything else was very disappointing. Water stains on the ceilings everywhere, trash strewn about, garbage not emptied, messy pool area with no clean towels, television with very spotty reception. I would never stay there again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Been to North Shore Lodge? Share your experiences!