“Like at home”

Red Roof Inn Grand Rapids
Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at this red Roof several times in 2013 and 2014. Friendly management and staff, good prices, convenient location, clean rooms - this is what made me stay over there. Sometimes the internet was not so fast, but it didn't happen to often. I recommend everybody to stay at this Red Roof any time while in Grand Rapids. There are so many good places around to eat and to see.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
redroof11, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay!

p.s. I am working on getting the internet a little faster too!

Ashley Christoferson
Red Roof Inn #011
p: 616.942.0800
f: 616.942.7741

Reviewed 3 June 2014

So, I must say that every hotel in Grand Rapids was booked to capacity and I stayed here as a last resort due to no available rooms at other hotels. This appeared to be the next best thing (it represented the best of the available motels). When I arrived I had just enough time to check in and then had to quickly rush to a 7pm meeting. Upon entering the room, I was initially impressed by the wood laminate floors and how modern the room looked. BUT I also noticed it smelled stale. (not exactly like cigarettes, so I chocked it up to needing to turn the air conditioner on really high to make the room feel less stuffy) I left and returned around 11:00 pm and that my friend is where this commentary get's exciting!
I pulled into the parking lot which was at capacity, I kept driving around to find a parking spot. What I found was various groups of people congregating in the parking lot smoking funny things. I finally land a spot 10 (approximately) doors down from my room. I back in and begin to gather my things, when I notice the guy in the car next to me watching me intently. I decided to wait for him to leave his vehicle and go into his room so that he wouldn't see what room I was staying in. After 15 minutes I decided to just take my chances and got out of my car. This guy then jumps out of his car and starts approaching me exclaiming that I couldn't park in the spot because his buddy LIVES in the room and that I was in his Parking spot. (STRIKE ONE)
Then I walk to the lobby to speak with the manager- who informs me that it wasn't much he could do about the loitering, but that he would speak to the guy so that he doesn't bother me again. (STRIKE TWO) what kind of property can't control loitering on PRIVATE property.
I FINALLY get to my room (and the fun continues). The room is still warm and stale. (The air conditioner upon closer inspection is FILTHY.) I turn down the bedding and the comforter is dirty and the pillow case has SCUFF MARKS. Being a trooper I improvise by spreading the bath towels on the pillows and bedding so that I could sleep on something clean and even the towels were dirty. Next a bug flies out of bed. (STRIKE THREE)- and I'm done.
I take pictures and pack up to get the heck out of dodge. The front deck clerk looks at the pictures and says I am justified in my concerns and immediately checks me out. He says he is unable to process a refund and that the Manager would contact me upon her arrival to address my concerns and issue a refund. Of course no one called me, so I return to speak with the Manager. She explains that she had charged me for the room, because she had her head housekeeper to inspect the room. Upon showing her the pictures, she replies, "Oh, that's all". Needless to say, I can't stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
redroof11, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I regret to hear that your stay was less than a positive one. This is not a usual circumstance in our facility and I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I want to thank you for bringing these matters to our attention so we are able to address them straight away. We are instigating new training procedures for the housekeeping team to ensure that this does not occur to any of our future guests. I would like to mention that we did issue a full refund at the time you brought these matters up to the desk and hope that this apology and the refund previously issued will in some way renew your faith in our brand.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I made a mistake and booked for a later day but the clerk was very nice and accommodating. The room showed signs of being freshly remodeled. we stayed in room 220. One bad thing was that it looks like the outside walkway could collapse at any time and another was the cigarette burn in the blanket. All was quiet and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: doesn't offer breakfast but Mickey dees is right next door. and a good steak house is across the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
redroof11, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review! I am happy to hear that our guest service agent was able to adjust your reservations to accommodate your needs. We are in our planning phase for the replacement of the second floor walkways and hope to have the opportunity to show you these changes and serve you again in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our property!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I needed a park and fly hotel but did not want to spend a fortune so I went with the Red Roof Inn. Check in went smoothly, I did put a note in the reservation that I was needing to do the park and fly so she had me fill out the ledger and asked what time I needed to be picked up. She had to call the shuttle service and set it up, when that was done she called me to confirm it was set up. They do not have their own shuttle, they use from my understanding another hotel shuttle which I found out when I returned and needed to be picked up from the airport. I was instructed to call upon returning to the airport and when I called I was told that she needed to find a shuttle to pick me up and when she found one she would call me back. I just decided to take a cab back to the hotel, I did not want to wait around for all of that. It may not have taken that long but the cabs were right outside the door so I just went with that. 10 minutes and $12.00 dollars later I was at the hotel.

After checking in I went to my room and when walking in I tried to turn on the lights, none of the lights worked. Called the front desk, she had to go and reset the breaker after about 15 minutes I had lights. The hotel is in a great location to food and shopping and 10 minutes from the airport.

It is a decent hotel I was just not a fan of the shuttle service.

Overall a decent hotel in a good location. Just was not a fan of the shuttle service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank IWANT2TRAVLNOW
redroof11, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear IWANT2TRVLNOW,

Thank you for reviewing our inn. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. To address the shuttle service; we are currently using the shuttle of a sister property nearby. We can guarantee that the shuttle will pick you up within 15min of when you call to notify us that you have arrived. Departures from our location to the airport are scheduled the night before so there is no wait time for the shuttle to the airport. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in town!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I don't remember anything particularly bad about my stay at this Red Roof Inn. The check in staff was friendly, the room clean and comfortable, and the wireless internet worked fine. I left pretty early in the morning to catch a flight from GRR, and it was pretty convenient.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am delighted to hear that you found our amenities and location to be convenient for your travels through Grand Rapids. You are welcome to take advantage of our airport shuttle next time you are in town!

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The room was small, which was ok for one night. I wouldn't stay longer than two if you have a family. They have make update to the rooms, but the beds was horrible. In great need of new mattresses and the bath tub ,which had cracks in. The floor and bathroom needed to be reclean. I was in room 334.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank MsSexylady266
redroof11, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I regret to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectation during your previous stay with us. We have just recently completed renovations and are still in the process of replacing the mattresses in the rooms. We hope you will give us the opportunity provide you with a superior stay next time you are in town.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here on a business trip. I must say, the upgrades to the room are very nice, and the room seemed to "appear" clean. Until further inspection. Every picture frame and wall hanging were COVERED in about a months worth of dust, there were cobwebs hanging above the sink from the flourescent lights, someone even wrote "clean me" on the top half of the mirror (which you can tell was only wiped clean halfway up). The clock was not set, phone unplugged from the wall, fridge not plugged in. And the bathroom? DISGUISTING! On the side, back, and under the seat of the toilet was some reddish splatter which I don't even want to think of what it could be! The floor obviously had not been swept due to cigarette ashes all around the base of the toilet, and there was mold under the toilet seat as well. The bathtub had a ring of grime in it, which easily wies off with water, so why was this so hard to clean?? After seeing all of this, we will definetely NOT be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with fellow tripadvisor travelers. I would like to forward my sincere apologies for the condition of the room upon check in. I want to assure you that this is not a regular occurrence in our facility. We are now in the process of retraining our housekeepers on the standards and procedures of our brands quality requirements. We hope that this apology and course of action will in some way renew your faith in our brand. We hope to welcome you back!