“Friday at Calvin Overnight”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Rapids
Prince Conference Center at Calvin College
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
“Friday at Calvin Overnight”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My high school daughter and I stayed here the night before she toured Calvin's campus and we enjoyed our short stay. It is actually where the Friday's tour started, so that we really nice.

The center is very nice and new as are the rooms. It does have a kind of institutional feel to it, but they have done a nice job incorporating a college meeting area with a hotel. They have a breakfast area that has the typical drinks, cereals, donuts, etc out for the morning and they have most of the finger foods out in the day as well. Nothing really great, but typical.
We stayed in a rooms with two double beds which was spacious, clean, and neat. Again, everthing seemed to be just about new. If anyone really cares, there was not a tub in my room, but just a shower.
I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve H
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Steve H.,
We are glad that you found your stay enjoyable. We hope to see you again as an "official" Calvin Parent.
Blessings,
Meeting & Conference Planner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Georgia
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Great place to stay, especially for conferences at the college. Excellent quality, though the menu has not changed in seemingly 5-6 years since I started staying here. I'll stay here again any chance I get.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank rpaulm
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
rpaulm,
Thank you for taking a moment to write your recent review. I did forward your comments to our Hotel and Catering Managers for further review in regard to the breakfast items. We appreciate your repeat business and look forward to meeting your needs in the future.
Blessings,
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 20 January 2013

In the past two months I have lodged for 10-nights in the Prince Conference Center (PCC). I have also stayed there for one or two nights in 2008 and 2009. The strongest reason to stay at the PCC is how clean and tidy the room are kept. The staff is very friendly. The lovely lady setting up the breakfast area was great. She remembered me on return trips and because I leave for work early in the morning (before 6AM) she set out the items I like so I could have something to eat. Located behind the PCC is the Bunker Interpretive Center with a mile of trails on 40-acres. Great place to walk and unwind after a long day. If I could change one thing about the rooms it would be to increase the number of cable channels and install flat screen TV's.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east end of the top floor are very quiet. Ask for a room on the north side with a view...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank mac m
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Mac M.,
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed all of your visits.
We hope that you find this as your home away from home.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 19 January 2013

My friend and I spent a night at the Prince Conference Center and were pleasantly surprised by how nice the whole experience was. The rooms are lovely, comfortable and clean. The breakfast provided a wide variety of choices and there was coffee, as well as other sweet and salty snacks, available 24 hours a day. Newspapers were available and the staff as friendly and helpful. All of this at a very reasonable rate!

Room Tip: Our room looked out at the lake and I'd ask for that again.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mary R
Mary R.,
We were happy to have you during your recent visit.
The ecosystem behind the facility is just lovely, even in the Winter. I am glad that you were able to enjoy it.
We look forward to seeing in you in the future.

Leicester
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We spent five nights at the Prince conference center over the holidays. The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff was perhaps the strongest point. The fireplace was lovely, and we appreciated the easy access and constant availability of the dining area. A bonus for me was the unexpected presence of Kawai baby grand piano in one of the meeting rooms, which I enjoyed playing several times. I also appreciated the firm and comfortable bed, which was good for my back. Wifi worked well.

Our stay started on a slightly shaky note, as we found some hairs and fuzzies on our bedspread when we arrived. The staff took care of this by replacing the bedspread. The sheets were not replaced daily, which I suppose is more ecological and quite reasonable, but it would be nice to be informed about this in advance.

Perhaps the weakest point was the heating system, which was quite loud and as far as I could tell had no thermostat - it's either on or off. We warmed up our room a bit for going to bed and slept without heat, which worked out okay, even though it was below freezing each night.

The breakfast provided was so-so, which seems quite typical for most hotels. I enjoyed the fresh fruit and the waffle makers. The range of cereals was quite limited. It would be nice to see more attention given to healthier options and to people with special dietary needs.

Overall, for what we paid, I would expect a bit more in terms of quality (e.g. the shower was somewhat dark and had low pressure - and though the conference center itself is nice, the large parking lot on which is situated is not that pleasant). But then it's been a while since I stayed in a hotel in the US (we're residents of the UK), so maybe this is a typical price these days.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Ron,
I appreciate the time that you took to write a review. The Fireside room is one of my favorites in the building. I do apologize that you didn't find your room in perfect condition when you arrived. I have forwarded your comments on to the housekeeping department to help ensure that this doesn't happen again.
We will look forward to exceeding your expectations during your next visit.
Many blessings and Safe Travels,
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Great holiday rates (Christmas time) provided an extra incentive for my elderly parents to reserve a room at the Prince Center. They thoroughly enjoyed their stay and encourage others visiting from out-of-town to try the PCC, especially during the winter holidays. The welcoming staff, nicely appointed rooms, the wonderful breakfast and the little Christmas stocking full of goodies found hanging on their door were pleasant surprises. They'll be back !

Room Tip: If elderly, ask for a room near the elevator. Also note that main entrance is on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Vonda,
We were thrilled to accommodate your parents during the holidays.
We will look forward to seeing them again soon.
Happy Holidays,
Georgia
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I was in Grand Rapids for a wedding, and this was the place everyone stayed. I believe the students at Calvin College help staff this place. The rooms were ample and clean. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was great. The price reflected a great value for the money.
I would recommend it. They do have free shuttle from the airport and back.

Room Tip: It is really off the road. I don't guess there is a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Plaztik
Plaztik,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad that you found the breakfast satisfactory and the staff friendly. We hope to see you again soon.