“Great home away from home”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Rapids
Prince Conference Center at Calvin College
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This was our first stay at the conference center. My husband and I, my mother-in-law, and my 13-month old stayed in a suite and a queen room across the hall from each other. We arrived on a red-eye and had booked a room the night before so we could check in right away, but the suite was ready when we arrived so they didn't charge us for the extra night. They also gave us a late check out - very accommodating! The only negative I'd say was it was difficult to get the temperature just right in the room. Rooms were very quiet, clean and comfortable. It feels a touch like a hospital or dorm, but much nicer than that. Great value. All the staff were very friendly - Mary Ann in the breakfast room was so sweet with our daughter! (Even when she got Cheerios on the floor...) We will definitely stay here again.

1  Thank SDKat45
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

SDKat45,
We are thrilled that you decided to stay with us. I am glad that you found everything enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon.
Have a great afternoon.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

My son, his wife, infant daughter and I stayed in the Conference Center at Calvin College. They had a two room suite and I had a room with two queen beds. Their room was nice and gave us a relaxing place to visit and for the toddler to play. My room was very comfortable. The breakfast was quite good with a friendly helpful hostess. They left cookies, muffins and fruit as well as coffee and tea out all day. I arrived very late at night and was welcomed warmly by the receptionist. The lobby is large and comfortable with a gas log fireplace-a great place for a toddler to practice walking. The only problem was getting the temperature of the room regulated, but we finally figured it out.

1  Thank Janaroni

Janaroni,
Thank you for your recent visit.
I am happy that you found your room comfortable and to your liking.
We hope to see you again soon.
Safe travels,

Reviewed 2 March 2013

My high school daughter and I stayed here the night before she toured Calvin's campus and we enjoyed our short stay. It is actually where the Friday's tour started, so that we really nice.

The center is very nice and new as are the rooms. It does have a kind of institutional feel to it, but they have done a nice job incorporating a college meeting area with a hotel. They have a breakfast area that has the typical drinks, cereals, donuts, etc out for the morning and they have most of the finger foods out in the day as well. Nothing really great, but typical.
We stayed in a rooms with two double beds which was spacious, clean, and neat. Again, everthing seemed to be just about new. If anyone really cares, there was not a tub in my room, but just a shower.
I would happily stay here again.

2  Thank Steve H
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Steve H.,
We are glad that you found your stay enjoyable. We hope to see you again as an "official" Calvin Parent.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Great place to stay, especially for conferences at the college. Excellent quality, though the menu has not changed in seemingly 5-6 years since I started staying here. I'll stay here again any chance I get.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank rpaulm
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

rpaulm,
Thank you for taking a moment to write your recent review. I did forward your comments to our Hotel and Catering Managers for further review in regard to the breakfast items. We appreciate your repeat business and look forward to meeting your needs in the future.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

In the past two months I have lodged for 10-nights in the Prince Conference Center (PCC). I have also stayed there for one or two nights in 2008 and 2009. The strongest reason to stay at the PCC is how clean and tidy the room are kept. The staff is very friendly. The lovely lady setting up the breakfast area was great. She remembered me on return trips and because I leave for work early in the morning (before 6AM) she set out the items I like so I could have something to eat. Located behind the PCC is the Bunker Interpretive Center with a mile of trails on 40-acres. Great place to walk and unwind after a long day. If I could change one thing about the rooms it would be to increase the number of cable channels and install flat screen TV's.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east end of the top floor are very quiet. Ask for a room on the north side with a view...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
9  Thank mac m
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Mac M.,
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed all of your visits.
We hope that you find this as your home away from home.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Safe Travels,

Reviewed 19 January 2013

My friend and I spent a night at the Prince Conference Center and were pleasantly surprised by how nice the whole experience was. The rooms are lovely, comfortable and clean. The breakfast provided a wide variety of choices and there was coffee, as well as other sweet and salty snacks, available 24 hours a day. Newspapers were available and the staff as friendly and helpful. All of this at a very reasonable rate!

Room Tip: Our room looked out at the lake and I'd ask for that again.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary R

Mary R.,
We were happy to have you during your recent visit.
The ecosystem behind the facility is just lovely, even in the Winter. I am glad that you were able to enjoy it.
We look forward to seeing in you in the future.
Safe Travels,

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We spent five nights at the Prince conference center over the holidays. The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff was perhaps the strongest point. The fireplace was lovely, and we appreciated the easy access and constant availability of the dining area. A bonus for me was the unexpected presence of Kawai baby grand piano in one of the meeting rooms, which I enjoyed playing several times. I also appreciated the firm and comfortable bed, which was good for my back. Wifi worked well.

Our stay started on a slightly shaky note, as we found some hairs and fuzzies on our bedspread when we arrived. The staff took care of this by replacing the bedspread. The sheets were not replaced daily, which I suppose is more ecological and quite reasonable, but it would be nice to be informed about this in advance.

Perhaps the weakest point was the heating system, which was quite loud and as far as I could tell had no thermostat - it's either on or off. We warmed up our room a bit for going to bed and slept without heat, which worked out okay, even though it was below freezing each night.

The breakfast provided was so-so, which seems quite typical for most hotels. I enjoyed the fresh fruit and the waffle makers. The range of cereals was quite limited. It would be nice to see more attention given to healthier options and to people with special dietary needs.

Overall, for what we paid, I would expect a bit more in terms of quality (e.g. the shower was somewhat dark and had low pressure - and though the conference center itself is nice, the large parking lot on which is situated is not that pleasant). But then it's been a while since I stayed in a hotel in the US (we're residents of the UK), so maybe this is a typical price these days.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
thinmint55, Meeting & Conference Planner at Prince Conference Center at Calvin College, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Ron,
I appreciate the time that you took to write a review. The Fireside room is one of my favorites in the building. I do apologize that you didn't find your room in perfect condition when you arrived. I have forwarded your comments on to the housekeeping department to help ensure that this doesn't happen again.
We will look forward to exceeding your expectations during your next visit.
Many blessings and Safe Travels,