“Great night's sleep”

CityFlatsHotel
Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed here for one night visiting family. Great eco-friendly and boutique vibe from check-in to check-out without being pretentious. Awesome amenities, bathroom, linens and the bed. THE BED! One of the best night's sleep I've ever had; pulled down the shade and I think I could've slept for 24 hours straight given the opportunity. The bar downstairs also had really great drink specials (carafe of mixed drinks for $10, yes please!). I didn't get any food, but what I saw looked good. And, the icing on the cake was that the coffee was local and delicious! No Folgers instant nonsense here, yum. Overall, if you are staying in Grand Rapids and want a nice quiet retreat, I would highly recommend City Flats. (Note: I can't speak to the parking situation because I checked in late on a Saturday and was able to park on the street for free)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linds B

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at this delightful, little (only 28 rooms) hotel on business while attending a conference at the nearby Amway Grand, and I waited too long to book a room at the Amway Grand at the conference rate. For $149, I got a small but very comfortable room, spotlessly clean, decorated in ultra-modern minimalist style. This place is going for its LEED environmental certification, so it has many eco-friendly touches -- all the lighting is LED or CFL, the floors are cork or bamboo rather than carpet, there aren't individual coffee makers in rooms (people tend to leave them on, at 1200 watts each!), there aren't ice makers on every floor (you have to go get it downstairs in the lobby), the bathroom has the two-flush system (little flush for going No. 1, big flush for going No. 2). Besides a super-comfortable bed, my room had only a tiny closet with a sheer curtain hiding its contents from the room, a small easy chair, and a desk with a desk chair, and the bathroom had only a shower stall, no bathtub (although the stall was plenty big enough for two). First floor is a bar, restaurant and coffee shop, open 24 hours, and there are seven rooms on each floor of floors 2 through 5, which are accessible only by a room key in the elevator for extra security. Room on the 4th floor was relatively quiet despite being right on the street, big 42-inch HDTV had a great picture. Within two or three blocks are dozens of bars and restaurants, the Amway Grand and the DeVos Place convention center, GR Civic Auditorium, Van Andel Arena, the GR Art Museum, the Gerald R. Ford presidential museum, Rosa Parks Circle, the GR Public Museum, and a gorgeous riverwalk along the Grand River. This is a wonderful hotel, and a perfect place for an exploration of all the cool stuff downtown Grand Rapids has to offer after 20 years of redevelopment.Oh, and lest I forget -- the staff is young, friendly and enthusiastic about their hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank madmatthew
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I recently traveled for a one-night stay in Grand Rapids to see a concert. The CityFlats hotel was lovely. The rooms are modern, well designed and eco-friendly. The exposed brick was charming and gave a boutique hotel-type feel. The bed was comfortable and the staff was friendly. We did not try the restaurant, but did have a drink at the hotel bar, which was also very nice. Parking was no problem in the garage just behind the hotel. My only negative would be that the plumbing is a bit loud. When other rooms used the shower or flushed, you could hear the water running through the walls. Not a big deal, and certainly would not prevent me staying here again. Overall a really nice experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My two friends and I recently stayed at the CityFlats Hotel on our trip to Grand Rapids. The staff and the service at this hotel are fantastic. The staff are very friendly and helpful and I like the hotel's "green" environmental attitude. I found my room to be tastefully decorated, with a spacious bathroom and extremely comfortable bed. My room was spotlessly clean. The hotel offers a light continental breakfast and complimentary coffee in the morning. The hotel bar/restaurant, called the CitySen Lounge, offered a very reasonable Happy Hour rate ($4 glasses of wine, $5.50 for 23 oz beer) and the regular menu also looked like a good value. Our only issues were that we did not realize that parking is in an adjacent garage for an additional charge of $16/day and being unfamiliar with the area, it was somewhat difficult for us to find using our GPS. Also, my room had a nice view overlooking the street; however, I found the room to be somewhat noisy. This was not only due to street traffic but from the pipes anytime another room would flush a toilet or use the water and these banging noises woke me up a couple of times. That being said, I did enjoy my stay at CityFlats and I would stay there again as comfort and cleanliness are the most important to me.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2012

If you're tired of chain hotels and bad wall art, this is a wonderful change of pace. Everything is simple, spotlessly clean, and restful. All eco-friendly materials including the most amazing bamboo sheets you will ever sleep under. The staff was young, friendly, and well-informed. The little bar/restaurant downstairs is a great place to sit and plan your visit. Funky beer selection and charming waitstaff. Free wi-fi. Definitely staying there again! (And looking into getting some of those sheets!)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Less than a year old, the City Flats Hotel is conveniently located downtown on Monroe. The lobby, restaurant and bar are all located on the first floor which is small, but it worked. The king room was comfortable with enough room for two. There were more amenities than I expected (shampoo/conditioner/soaps/bath towel for the floor/iron and board....) and in no way did I feel we were missing out on anything. In fact, their eco-friendly policies actually made me more mindful of what I was doing and how I could help. While we didn't eat in the restaurant, it was always busy. We did stop for a drink in the bar and Chris was an excellent host. The only negative that I could find was the parking situation. To park, you need to drive around the block around the current construction. Once in the parking structure, you are only steps away through a tunnel to the hotel. Once the construction is over, this will no longer be an issue. So if you are looking for something a little different, kinder to Mother Earth, with excellent staff and superb comfort.....stay at the City Flats.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We were attending the Black Keys concert at the Van Andel Arena last weekend and were looking for a hotel closeby. The City Flats Hotel was the perfect choice!! Very modern newly renovated -- in the loft style with large windows and very high ceilings. Beatiful white linens and large windows. Interesting bathroom with an unusual sliding door -- very modern fixtures. comfortable bed. We were on the top floor -- 5th floor and love walking up and down stairs and found the stairwell bright and very clean.
There is a fee for parking but the parking garage is behind and the doorway is right next door.
VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple