“Not a Tasty Experience :(”

Olive's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #104 of 964 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Price range: US$9 - US$21
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Olive's is located in the heart of Gaslight Village. We are a 120 seat restaurant with an outstanding Chef, EJ, & a bar to make you drool. No where else in Grand Rapids can you get a 10 ounce martini, the best meatloaf of your life, and a server who knows you by your first name. Let us be your choice for a night out!{Cheers}
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Recent dining experience at Olive's was a disappointment compared to past visits. So much so we will probably not return. First let me say our server was fantastic! She addressed the issues with our food in a kind and courteous manner. The calamari appetizer was so salty it could not be eaten and we asked for a replacement. Our server came back and told us the calamari was not salted, only soaked in a buttermilk marinade and then fried. Hard to believe the buttermilk could have been that salty to make it inedible. The calamari was replaced with the mushroom crostini which was creamy and full of mushrooms, very tasty. The salmon entree was fishy tasting, not a good sign of the fish quality. At this point I was so disappointed in my dinner I opted not to say anything else. My companion also thought their dinner was marginal. As much as I enjoy the atmosphere of Olive's I don't think I will return for a meal.

1  Thank Chitown1257
Kim M, Manager at Olive's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for your most recent feedback. I am pleased to hear your service was excellent but I am sorry to hear the food was sub par.

We recently debuted our summer menu. It features tons of local ingredients, dishes with amazing flavors, and classics such as the mushroom crostini.

I would love the opportunity to prove to you we are the gem of Gaslight Village. Thank you.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Great service; interesting appetizers & entrees (try the bacon wrapped shrimp and pulled rib), and a nice cozy atmosphere makes for an excellent evening. And the food tasted pretty darned good as well!

Camel221, Manager at Olive's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our restaurant. Next time you are in let your server know you are here and I will come by and say hello.

Parker
FOH Manager
Olive's Restaurant

Reviewed 28 April 2013

The bar tends to get very crowded and loud but I once you're in the upper dining area it's cozy and quiet. All of our orders were done very well..

I would like to thank you for reviewing Olive's. We appreciate any feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your experience. If you don't mind, the next time you are in, let someone know so I can come over and say hi.

Parker
FOH Manager
Olive's Restaurant

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Have been their twice before and really liked it. You get a 7 oz martini for $10.00, what a bargain.

This time my wife ordered a Mojito and they were out of mint, there is a grocery store directly across the street.that could have solved the problem. We both ended up with the martinis

The appetizer Mushroom Crostini was very good.

She ordered Caramelized Scallops and they were out of them and wouldn't be ready until 9:00. Second dissapointment . She ordered instead another appetizer Tipsy Shrimps--bacon wrapped, tequila lime beurre blanc, fresh guacamole, chips. again good
i ordered the Mahi
blackened, elote corn salad, roasted poblano quinoa, warm corn tortillas, avocado.

One bite and it was too spicy for me. We switched plates.

A tort for desert that was as hard as a brick

All in all not a positive memorable experience unlike previous visits

Camel221, Manager at Olive's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

My name is Parker, the front of house manager at Olive's and I am sorry your experience was not as wonderful as your past visits. I would like to get to address the problems you encountered and was wondering on what day did you dine with us? There is no reason we should have been out of mint as we keep a stock in the kitchen, and as you correctly state "there is a store right across the street." If you ever have an issue again at Olive's don't hesitate to ask your server to speak to either myself or EJ (the head chef). Once again I am sorry that you had a subpar experience and I hope that you will give us another shot.

Parker Bulliment

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Olive's is a small local restaurant with a friendly staff in a very walkable part of town. The restaurant has both a hustle and bustle area on the ground floor (that can be a little overwhelming when the place is busy) and a quite area upstairs that's nice for those times when a quieter setting is desired. The food is great and changes on a regular basis. While the menu is not pages long, there are choices for everyone including a nice kids menu. Mixed drinks are a specialty and there are a lot of great local beers on-tap. While we took our 9 year old daughter on this visit, it's also a nice place for couples or friends. We're looking forward to warmer weather to enjoy some outdoor dining on the deck.