“overcrowded”

Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Ludington
“overcrowded”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I had booked a poolside room. I arrived at 5pm and my room had been given away. When we arrived at the pool, there were at least 5 birthday parties and the pool was so crowded that you could barely move. There should never had been that many people and parties allowed at the same time. There were many loud and drunk people in the hallway for most of the night. I have stayed here many times before and never had this happen. It was disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

A first impression on the website would leave you to believe that this Ramada has a large indoor water park. It really only consists of a small pool with a two story slide. The building and furniture are showing some wear but the rooms are going through updates and were a pleasant surprise. Where this property is missing the mark is with its gym room and morning breakfast. I paid a small fee for a continental breakfast in the bar area that left a lot to be desired. Stale pastries and fruit that was past its prime forced me to walk to the next building housing a Starbucks. The equipment in the gym is in serious need of repair or the scrap yard.

Stayed February 2013
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Was a nice stay. very good customer service. I stayed in a room that was being redone and had a little difficulty as there was no bedside lighting, But bed was great. Heard a little hall noise but think there was a cheerleading competition and you can't keep those gals at a whisper. Good visit though. I would return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Trenton
Reviewed 27 February 2013

First the pool was ok. They shut down the slide two to three times a day so the guards can take a break or go to lunch. Second, they don't have enough employees to clean all the rooms. It was 6:00 p.m. When the staff finally clean the room for the day. Third when we booked the hotel we advised the clerk that we had two rooms booked and wanted to stay close to each other. When we arrived at the hotel the staff advised us that the hotel was sold out and could not put my family together. Also the staff said that if we didn't want to stay at the hotel they had a waiting list and could sell the rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Grand Rapids hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed overnight at the Ramada Plaza in Grand Rapids Michigan the night of Feb 24. I had obtained the room as part of a combination flight & hotel deal on expedia. The incremental cost was $48 so I thought, it is a Ramada how wrong can I go.

Upon Check in i had to sign a form stating that if I smoke in the room I would pay a $250 cleaning fee. Not a problem, I do not smoke. I arrived around 8:30 PM and had to leave early the next morning so I went straight to bed. Shortly after midnight I awoke, coughing and smelled cigarette smoke in the room. I looked out the window and into the hall to see if I could see anyone smoking. I could not. I called the front desk and was told that he would check the hall to see if he could find the source. I wasn't offered a room change, but I must honestly say I would have declined it as it was after midnight and I was not inclined to change rooms that late.

I woke the next morning and my throat was raspy from inhaling the stale smoke all night. I then went to shower and found that the tub would not drain quick enough so that the water from the shower could completely drain. By the time I finished showering the water was above my ankles.

I ate breakfast and went to check out. I was not greeted nor was I asked how my stay was. Since I had prepaid, I was merely told that there were no additional charges. I then told both desk clerks that they needed to have someone check the drain and was told "oh Thanks" I then proceeded to tell the story about the smoke. The male desk clerk then said, Yes, I spoke with you last evening and could not find anyone smoking on the floor. The hotel is under renovation, so I asked if when the renovated the room if they cleaned or changed the air filter in the Heating unit as I noticed while I was dressing when the heat kicked on, the smoke smell became stronger. I was told no, they hadn't changed it but that might be a good idea to do. I was then told to have a nice day. Not I'm sorry you didn't have a pleasant stay, not can we at least comp your $4.50 breakfast, Zip, Zilch, Nada, Nothing.

Therefore, this is my lowest possible 3 rating. Any lower and it would have been a 2. The only reason that I did not give a 2 is that the furnishings were new. But the service is a 1 or lower. I always say, problems can happen and I judge an establishment but how the react. In this case there was no reaction at all. No even an I'm sorry. Therefore,I will think long and hard before I decide to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business