“Not so great”

Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Hixson, Tennessee
“Not so great”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I arrived for a wedding which the rooms were blocked for i flew in at 11:30 am and when i arrived the room was not ready ....3 hours later i was in my room. I then was unpacking and my room door burst open with a maintenance man walking in my room!!!!!! I was so angry i called rhe desk and they did agree that it shouldnt have happened. I was comped a little off my room.we were offered a free breakfast that was not very good. The best thing this hotel has going for it is lisa at the front desk and it is convient to starbucks and a rsstaurant in the hotel old chicago. Lisa is a delight...thanks for our chats and coffee...lol

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Michigan
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for almost a week. Let me start by saying that it is in the process of remodeling and there is a very responsive general manager there which is why is not rated lower. I do see an effort to try to improve things but they still have a ways to go so keep this in mind. When I checked in, the front desk person honored my request to find a room away from the indoor waterpark which was appreciated.

THE BAD: When in my room, I went to iron my clothes and there was no iron so I called down to the front desk for one. In the meantime, I thought I would take a shower when I went to get a towel all THREE of my bath towels had "body" hair on them. I won't say what part of the body it came from but all three towels had it. I ended up drying off with a hand towel instead. On top of that, the iron still hadn't arrived so I called the front desk again to ask for towels and the iron. When the lady arrived, she asked for the old iron in an accusatory tone (although there never was a iron in our room). Once that was sorted out, I went to check the view.

The view was of the roof and it was quite obvious the staff was using it as a break room. The most disturbing thing was that they were taking there breaks there (and the manager was not aware) and the way the bricks were situated, it appeared as if they were peeking in my room (although this may not have been the case).

The room was not the cleanest, dust was on the lamp and there was a HUGE build up of spider webs and cobwebs in between the air conditioning unit and the wall. On top of that, there was a build up of plastic ware there as if no one had bothered to clean it in ages. My co-worker shared the adjoining room and on one or two days they had cleaned my room and not hers which showed the lack of housekeeping skills of the staff. My bed was crudely spread and when my room was tidied up it was a partial job. There was gum stuck to the carpet in my room and it just felt unclean. Oh and I called down about a microwave and a refrigerator and was told that double bed rooms do not have those. When I told the front desk that my co-worker has the same type of room with a refrigerator and microwave, the response was "Oh" and that was it. I believe they are remodeling so that all rooms have it but the nonchalant response of the front desk was unacceptable. The beds are not comfortable at all.

THE UGLY:
One night I pulled the duvet over me and to my surprise there was BLOOD all over it. I had not noticed it before because it was my first time pulling it over me and there were ants in my room. It looked like dust and mold build up on the vent over my face bowl. That was a nightmare. I would have checked out then and there but the room was paid for by my company. The breakfast area was served by one young lady who not only the cashier but the server, the busser, and person that ran and stocked the food. Although it was close to 7:00 a.m. (It opened at 6:30 a.m.), there was no hot food in some of the warmers. The lady had to run to the back and retrieve it one by one which took forever. Also, they have no cash register in the restaurant so she had to swipe the card using her cellphone which is not only unprofessional but made me nervous as I have never seen it done in a hotel establishment before. Some of the staff was NOT friendly. I believe it was housekeeping and the staff that made my trip bad.

THE GOOD: The general manager is awesome!!!! He tried to rectify the situation to the best of his abilities. He was responsive to my needs and personally came up to view my concerns. He is the main reason I gave this place 3 stars. I really believe he will turn it around. The location is good. It is close to shopping, public transportation, and restaurants. There is remodeling in progress so there is hope for this place. It has potential.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Pleasant Prairi
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Clean hotel. Friendly staff. Now only if the people staying there were as clean!!! Throw up in the pool two nights in a row! Staff handled it very well. Only complaint why isn't there a fridge in rooms with two beds!? That should be standard. And no breakfast either offered like most hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Christopher H, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback to help us better serve our guest. I do apologize for the incidents with the pool, unfortunately these are beyond our control but when they do happen we do our best to get the pool back up and running as soon as possible to minimize guests downtime. I would like to let you know that refrigerator and microwaves are a newer trend in hotel rooms and as part of our recent renovation we have added them to our king rooms first and are currently working on getting them in the doubles....so eventually all guest rooms will have this amenity.

We hope to see you again in the future.