“Loud and disappointed”

Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival first impression was great. However, loud talking, slamming doors and every 10 sec someone using the f word @1 AM woke our room up including my 8 & 10 year old. After calling the front desk the party was moved to the lobby until around 3am. Then upon their return to their rooms the slamming doors and volume woke up my children for the 2nd TIME. The volume was crazy loud and both children had to swim at the Junior Olympics at 7 AM that morning. At check out (6:30 am) when I addressed it again at the front desk it was as if I was suppose to be thankful for the 2 hr quiet we did get? Needless to say don't stay if you're hoping to sleep!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank tipofthemit
JLawn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for your response. My apologies for the noise (and swearing) in the room next to you during your stay. We staff additional people on the weekends so that we can specifically address noise and party complaints immediately when they occur. In this case it is obvious we missed the mark and did not address it appropriately. I will make sure to follow up with my entire front desk staff at our staff meeting this month so as to address any future issues.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed her in January 2014 and the hotel was great and the people that work there are better. If you stay there - one this you'll notice is the SWA pilots stay there when they lay-over. They have a bar, place to eat, and a shuttle to the airport. The shuttle was supposed to be at 8am the gal saw the disappointment on my face and asked what was wrong. I said, I have a 9am flight and I'd like to get there before 8. She said, I usually get here at 7 for my 8am shift, when I get here either I will take you or someone will take you at 7....don't worry! And, it happened just like that....I went down stairs at 7am and was to the airport by 7:20am. This is within walking distance to places to eat (e.g. Outback) - however, the weather was HORRIBLE.....raining, snow, no sidewalks, etc. I tried to walk and came back to the hotel and the shuttle driver was there and commented on the weather and I said, "yep, it canceled my dinner plans." She said, "hop in the the shuttle, I wil take you to dinner and just call the front desk when you are done and I will pick you up!" Again....great results and great customer service. The bartender wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but this place still deserved the 5 rating I've given it!

Room Tip: I always ask to stay away from the ice machines, vending and elevators....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

But the restaurant, not so much. This lovely property and its gracious, efficient staff make it a lodging winner. Poor management makes it a difficult place to eat unless you have a lot of patience and a lot of time. The food? Superb. But staffing decisions are horrible. We did the park and fly and it was terrific. The airport shuttle was prompt and Matt the driver was most pleasant.

Don't be afraid of this one, it's wonderful lodging. And if you have the time, the food is excellent. Otherwise there are many good nearby restaurants.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank PetoskeyKendal
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Walking into the lobby was very impressive with the dark woods and large fireplace. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The hotel has three levels and is a couple of blocks away from the main street.
We had a king size room on the third floor. The room was light and spacious with a desk and office chair. There was also a lounge chair with ottoman. Table with lamps on both sides of the bed. A 32" flat screen television on the chest of drawers. The room also included a single serve coffee maker and refrigerator.
The carpeting was older, but not worn. One could see and feel the imperfections in the flooring under the carpeting by the bed and lounge chair? Like something was there at one time, but did a poor job of leveling it out?
The bathroom was peculiar. The door served a double purpose. One to enter the bathroom, the other to have privacy to the toilet. So when one was in the toilet, the entrance to the vanity and shower were wide open. The room itself seemed large, but the door was a nuisance with two people in the room. The shower was a walk-in around the corner of the vanity. The bathroom also lacked any kind of exhaust ventilation. So naturally, the room steamed up when taking a shower and for those occasions when the toilet was used, the smell lingered longer than one would like.
Normally, this should not come into play but the parking lot was disappointing. It shows some lack of concern for their guests. Everywhere, but at the entrance to the hotel was covered in ice. We did not see any evidence of salt being applied during our stay. Not all the parking spaces were clear of snow, making it difficult to park with a full hotel. While Michigan as a whole received more snow this year, it doesn't excuse the parking situation.
Overall, it's an okay hotel, a little too pricey for what one receives. Next time I'm in the area I'll be looking at other options.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear mkh57,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted about your positive comments with the lobby and our staff. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize we did not exceed your expectations with our amenities and the parking condition. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your review and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The first night was very nice and quite the staff was nice. Second night from 5pm through the night there were several kids running up and down the halls yelling and screaming. When we called the front desk we were told they couldnt do anything about it because quite hour isnt untill 10pm. Yes I understand that quite time isnt untill 10 but there is a fine line between being lound and being complete out of line. The walls were shaking and there were times where we had to turn our tv up just to over come the noise. I personal believe there wouldnt have been any harm in the staff asking them to stop running in the halls. Its disrepectful to othet guest in the hotel. We should not have to suffer because a group of parents cant controll their children.

• Stayed: February 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Dhotsi02,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We regret to see the noise from the other guests prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We appreciate the high scores for Rooms, Cleanliness, and Service. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here for one night. Location is close to the airport. Staff is very friendly and helpful. My room was a nice size, bed was very comfortable and included a flat screen TV, refrigerator & coffeemaker, large bathroom with plenty of counter space. Walk-in shower was nice with lots of hot water and good shower pressure. Food was good in the lounge and there is also an area right next to the Front Desk where you can pick up a drink or a pre-made sandwich. WIFI connected quickly and worked well. Shuttle service is available to the airport, but if you have an early flight the service doesn't start until 8 in the morning, so you'll need a taxi.

Room Tip: I had a "connecting" room and I could hear the person next door to me coughing and when th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank theokitty916
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

I am a picky traveller to say the least. Booked on an ota, but would gladly pay full price on next trip. Staff was beyond accommodating to my special requests. The night auditor. Hannah. Kelly and the shuttle driver were truly a blessing for my spontaneos holiday trip. Im sure im missing some names but know they were just as special . Bed and room was superior. Bfast good and good value. Close to highways. Gum and shopping. Many food options minutes away. Shirt drive from airport. 5 stars easy. I work in hotels and therefore hold them to higher standards. Would pluck any of these staff members for my west coast properties.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo