“So yucky!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Bolingbrook, Illinois
“So yucky!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

From the musty attic smell when you walk in to the mold (mold so much mold) in the shower - there is nothing to like about this "hotel". Pool was cloudy and is right off the lobby, I was shocked I couldn't smell any chlorine. So gross, we didn't bring our bags in and decided just to drive home. Be forewarned that one half of the building is the "Grand Inn" a by the week rental hotel for people that have no where else to go. Also be sure to check out the bums by the entrance just sitting there, and enjoy the people watching by the "Banquet" facility. The Desk Clerk was advised of the uncleanliness and grossness of the room and didn't offer a different room because "they are all the same" . Also, no refunds here! Once they have your money you are stuck, unless you just leave. Do yourself a favor, drive the 25 minutes to Holland and stay there - this place is so nasty. We did take a spin to the "Excercise Room" as it was right next to the hall to our room - there is a broken treadmill, a weight bench with no weights and an ab glider along with a soda and candy vending machine and a hole in the wall.

Room Tip: Choose a totally different place to stay
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank didisparkles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is older. Room had a "smell" to it. Bathroom tile dirty. Patrons next door were loud. Bed was "squishy" - rolled to the middle of the bed.
Continental Breakfast was poor. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

6 Thank Martha M
Hitesh P, Manager at Knights Inn Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 4 December 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention and we will make sure to take care of the issues you mentioned.
Southgate, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

This place was dirty and over-priced. The towels were so thin I might as well have used paper to dry myself after my shower. The soap was so hard it wouldn't even lather up and what they call complimentary shampoo was a joke. The bedspread was filthy with unknown stains on it. The whole place has a nasty smell to it and not only were the rooms dirty but the outside area was too. I think the only clean place was the lobby because that's where the employees have to stay. The breakfast was awful, stale bagels and fake creamer for the coffee. I could have stayed for less money at a nicer place but they take your money as soon as you make the reservation and they prey on the fact that the city was busy for the weekend. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Don't get fooled by the pictures, look at reviews from many web sites first.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Kathie H
Thank you for your review. We have made several improvements to our property since your stay with us.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

My family and I met up in Grand Rapids and all the hotels were booked.We found availability at the Knights Inn on Plainfield.
The hotel looks like it WAS a beautiful place in its days of glory. Now, the exterior is old, the gutters are hanging and the roof is in disrepair. When we entered the elevator and stopped at the third floor the carpet is worn out and torn and there are holes in the walls. When we opened the door to the hallway that our room was in, we were almost knocked over by the a pungent smell of decay. We inspected the room. One of the paintings above the bed was upside down. The bathroom had mold in it, which explains the smell. We wanted to leave, but the kids were tired and it was the only hotel available.
The kids came to swim, so we got our swimsuits on and went down to the pool. The pool looked inviting even though the pool room itself was freezing. We asked if the heat could be turned up in the room and we were told that that room doesn't have heat in it. The temperature of the pool was warm compared to the temperature of the room, but it was still cold. There was a pipe at the far end of the pool with a TRAFFIC CONE over it. Apparently it is how they fill the pool. After a brief stay in the pool, we went back to our room.
I went to warm up some water in the microwave. When I hit the start button, the power went out. Imagine being stuck in a small hotel room with three adults, two toddlers and two babies, in the dark.
We paid $22 extra for a roll away bed and a pack and play for the baby. I am so glad I brought my own blankets! I didn't realize until the daylight came through the window the next morning that the pack and play I put my 14 month old daughter in was stained and gross.
I really wish we had just gone home vs. paying $102 to stay. Really NOT worth the money we had to pay to stay.
We will never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Angela W
Wyandotte, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I was here on business. Hallways are oddly lit. Hard to explain, but think horror movie. Box spring had stains. Holes in wallpaper in my room. Maybe lighting had been attached there? The wallpaper in my room is identical to what I had in my bedroom in the 1980's. The pool looked inviting, but I did not swim. Breakfast is on the 3rd floor. 2 choices in cereal, bread and stale bagels, milk and OJ. That was it. The chairs were filthy. This could be a really nice hotel, but Knights Inn needs to put money into it. I will not come back here unless they have cleaned it up. The gentleman handling the desk for the afternoon shift was FANTASTIC! Very friendly and helpful. There is a PC for guest use in the lobby.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Denise_D07
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

The hotel room was clean with new carpet and paint in the hallways. There is only 1 elevator, so it most likely isn't close to your room, but stairs never killed anyone either. Nice, quiet stay with no issues. Was very happy with the convenient location by the highway and the cheap price for a nights stay. On asking the hotel because of previous reviews, they have had no true reported cases of any infestations bed bugs or otherwise in the last 5 years.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jsleeve
Joliet, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

we went to this hotel on a last minute unplanned trip and my whole family felt like we were being transported back to the 1980s. the carpets were sticky and smelled bad in the hallways and in the rooms. the first room they put us in didn't even have a smoke detector. the shower head was so rusty I was afraid to let my kids shower for fear of lead poisoning. the "heated" pool was ice cold and had a large pile of sand next to it (we opted not to swim) the hallways and rooms smelled like something died in them. We stayed 2 nights because after the first night we asked for a refund and the front desk said "we don't give refunds" our room was not cleaned and we got no new towels (we only washed up in the sink though) the sheets were so old and stretched out they no longer stayed on the beds. the work out room they list on there amenities is really a room with 3 1980s machines and 2 vending machines that are full of expired products. (we got a candy bar that expired in 1981) the decor over all was stuck in the 80s. the free breakfast the offer leaves you wishing you went out to eat. when we ran out of milk we had to go to the front desk (downstairs) and ask for more and the gentlemen there told us "you will have to go out side for more" the ceiling above were we ate breakfast was leaking and was covered with tarps from the outside. I am actually appalled that Expedia would even list this on there web site as an option for its customers. Over all I would not even send my pet rat to stay in this horrible place!!!!!

Room Tip: don't go here look for a different hotel all together!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North
Econo Lodge & Suites
Econo Lodge & Suites
#17 of 49 in Grand Rapids

Been to Knights Inn Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!