“Good service, Nice room...”

SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport Southeast
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The location on 28th street worked very well for us, the service was polite,available,and swift. The room was well situated, spacious, and clean. What more do you need? The breakfast was a standard hotel continental breakfast, nothing special,nothing disappointing.

Room Tip: Great location to stay if you're in town to visit the many cool Michigan breweries that are scat...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SpringHillSuitesGRR, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Karen S -

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed our hotel and spacious and clean suites as well as our first class customer service.

Great tip regarding the Michigan Breweries. Grand Rapids is proud to be voted BEER CITY USA and can recommend numerous local breweries just minutes from our location the next time you stay with us.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My recent stay at this property started off badly and only got worse from there. We requested third floor which wasn't a problem getting but the first room we were put in had a burned out central light bulb and the refrigerator didn't work. We asked to be moved and were moved to the far end of the hall from where we first were at. Second room appeared fine but after unpacking and returning from dinner and a movie my wife and I found that the toilet was leaking and would turn on the water every five minutes to fill back up. It was to late to move that night and we figured the staff could fix the problem the next day. We tried to turn in early but that wasn't happening as the was a baseball team staying in the hotel and little kids were running in the hallway and shouting till almost 11pm. The staff didn't seem to care that other guests were being troubled by all the noise and commotion. The next morning I attempted to use the safety deposit box at the front desk to secure some valuables while we were at the beach in neighboring holland MI, after looking in several boxes the desk clerk found an empty one. I put in my valuables and waited for the key but was told they the hotel keeps both keys at the desk! I refused to leave my valuables where anyone behind the desk could reach in a grab them. This hotel is surely setting themselves up for a major lawsuit if anything ever is rooted missing! I did have an apology message waiting for me on voice mail after we returned later that night but I was not in a forgiving mood since the toilet we asked to have fixed WAS NOT FIXED! The hotel was very full from the parking lot that night and that made morning FREE breakfast impossible to get or enjoy as there was a 30 minute wait for toast or a waffle! The breakfast area is inadequate to handle the guests if the hotel is anywhere close to full!
The room was decent except for the toilet running all night. The staff seemed to try and be nice even though they need more training in my opinion. The ill fitting blue sport jackets that all the male staff wore, the ones kept in the closet behind the desk made me embarrassed for them having to wear clothes that don't fit or look nice. A simple button down shirt and tie would look more professional then those jackets.
If given a choice I will never stay here again, I have stayed at other spring hill suites in other towns and enjoyed then but given all the issues with this hotel I will not be back.
Andrew R
Stayed 7/25/14-7/27/14

Room Tip: Ask for a room where all the lights work, the refrigerator works and the toilet don't run all ni...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Andrew177 -

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the SpringHill Suites. Honest opinions such as yours allow us to see where we can better serve our guests or problems that we need to rectify.

I want to personally apologize for the numerous issues you encountered during your stay. I fully understand your frustration and can understand why you would question staying with us again in the future. I do want you to know that each of the issues you spoke of have been addressed by myself to work to prevent any of them from happening again.

We value you as a guest and will work to earn your business back. If possible, I would like to speak with you personally so that we can come to a resolution on your specific matters.

Mike McWilliams
Mike.McWilliams@Marriott.com
616-464-1130

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here for one night July 15 in room 316. The room itself was very nice and the location is quiet which make for good sleeping. Even the a/c was quiet which is rare, even in very high end hotels.

However, the bathroom wasn't cleaned well. Hair on the toliet (not just one piece, I mean all over, and sticky floor in the bathroom. Ick! It was late so I just wiped around with a towel and it was fine for the night.

When I see properties like this that are really well designed, comfortable and offer great value - I hate to see the rooms not maintained properly resulting in a black eye to the Brand. I realize cleaning staff has only so much time to devote to each room but it can be done better than this. Especially considering this is part of the Marriott family.

Room Tip: top floor is best. Back of property faces a pond
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SueC456

SueC456 -

I first want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. Without honest accounts of guest experiences we are unable to identify areas of growth for our hotel and staff.
I want to apologize that your room was less than perfect during your stay. It is unacceptable that your room was not completely cleaned prior to your arrival. We pride ourselves on offering a clean comfortable hotel to our guests and incidents like yours are not tolerated. Your incident has been used a training tool for our entire staff to stress the importance of maintaining a clean hotel at all times.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you as a guest in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally handle your reservations.

Mike McWilliams
Mike.McWilliams@Marriott.com
616-464-1130

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here last year during a soccer tournament weekend and was less than impressed. Gave the hotel another shot when we needed a place to stay at on short notice for the night. Much more impressed this time. Room was spacious and beds were fine. Hotel staff was very friendly and courteous. Breakfast was good enough since it is free and pool area was clean. Would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank dgprouty

dgprouty -
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at the SpringHill Suites. I am very pleased to learn that although you may have had a less than perfect stay initially, you came back and left impressed.
I am pleased to say that our hotel went through a comprehensive renovation which was completed in January of this year resulting in a much more contemporary look.
We look forward to having you stay with us for your next soccer tournament as well.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel is great overall, the room is very big and have very comfortable working desk. I have a king size room and the desk and the bed is in two different room so I would not disturb my girlfriend if I get up early.
The location is very good close to mall and restaurant, but it is really hard to find. My GPS can not find the hotel, but I finally find the place using Google map. anyway the room is a little bit outdated, like it still has clock and speaker for iphone 4s not iphone 5.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Micro-Young

Micro-Young -

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences during your recent stay at the SpringHill Suites. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our spaciaious guest rooms and had a great stay. I look forward to you staying us again soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is pretty great overall. I bid on another website (price line) and got it for fifty dollars a night. I typed in the address, but my GPS didn't take me to the right location. It took me near there, but the hotel's address is 28th street...the hotel, however, is a half mile or so away from where the GPS address is.

My advice is to google the address ahead of time, then look at where the hotel is. Basically, look for the Target (Staples, Aldis, & Dicks signs), and turn there. Drive around, and the hotel is behind Target. It's really remote.

Their management needs to read these reviews and instead of just commenting on all the reviews, they need to actually CHANGE THE SIGNS!! Do they even want customers?? It's a joke! Their sign is so tiny, and impossible to find. I'm attaching a photo of the hotel's sign

One problem with the hotel is that you can hear through the walls and the ceilings. I was on 2nd floor and I could hear the people in the room above me constantly, and I kept hearing kids in the room next door. My room was attached to a room with a baby and toddler. It was awful most of the night.

I would suggest getting a room on 3rd floor. I think hotels like this (with thin walls & ceilings) should put people with small children near other people with small children. If they kept families on the first floor, and people who were couples or solo travelers on the 2nd & 3rd floors, it would help a lot with the noise level. This hotel would’ve been perfect if it weren’t for the noise & the stupid small signs :-) Did I mention it's hard to find the hotel?

Overall, once you find it, it's a great hotel. There's a free breakfast. The rooms are nice. There's an indoor pool and hot tub. There is an exercise room. It's all pretty clean. The staff are great. Would stay there again for sure, but I would not stay on 1st or 2nd floors.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank OpinionExpert

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport. I appreciate your thorough comments about the hotel.

I can understand your frustration regarding the GPS placement of our hotel. Since we are unable to place a large sign along 28th Street we have worked with several online map websites to change our placement market to indicate our location which is tucked alongside a pond behind Target. In addition we try to communicate our unique location on our website as well.

I am glad to learn that once you did arrive you found our hotel to be great and were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast as well as our indoor pool and whirlpool.

I look forward to you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hotel is situated between GR airport and the city center. Rooms are large, confortable and clean. I arrived there around midnight on a saturday evening and was happily welcomed at the front desk :-)
A bit difficult to find, so better to review before how to get there (GPS got lost, but not google maps).
WIFI : working on my PC, not on my Iphone.
Did not try the breakfast.
A good hotel if you wanna stay in GR area!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Seb8975 -

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our large, clean, comfortable rooms. I also want to thank you for your comment about GPS. We do as much as we can to inform guest of our location and appreciate you mentioning it as well to assist any future guests.