“Outstanding experience”

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Chicago, Illinois
“Outstanding experience”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Thanks much to Trip Advisor members for the reviews of this hotel- we had a wonderful stay!

We came in for a weekend from Chicago to see a band playing at one of the clubs in town. I hadn't been to Grand Rapids in years, and I was anxious to see what the town was like. The hotel is situated ideally in the middle of downtown, a stones throw to just about anything you could possibly need or want to do in the downtown area. Parking is definitely steep at $18/night, but knowing my car was safe and secure was worth the expense.

The room we had was very pleasant- I think we were in 505, which was a corner unit. We had views of both the downtown and a bit of the river from our room. The room was a nice size, and the amenities were great. Bed was exceptional and would be a welcome place to sleep for a week if needed.

The 3rd floor of the hotel houses the pool, spa, and steam rooms. The pool is small but adequate enough to do some laps in if you wish. There's a nice hot tub that seats about 10 people, and there are 2 steam rooms. The workout area is good-sized for a hotel and the equipment is modern and well maintained.

Staff were polite and expedient. I left my phone on the front desk when we checked in, and I had to go down 15 minutes later to get it. I found it somewhat odd that the clerk said "I figured you'd be coming back for that".... why not just send it up to my room if you knew it was mine? Really a super minor thing, and it won't keep me from giving them 5 stars for being not just a great Grand Rapids hotel, but one of the better hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Elida O, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Warriors Fan,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and got to see all that our city and hotel has to offer. Our pool and steam rooms are one of my favorites, along with the beautiful views of the river, especially during the sunset. I hope you got to tour some of the breweries and try a few of the new restaurants downtown! Thank you for all of your kind words about our staff as we are so fortunate to have them with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Elida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Korean first
Oakland, Michigan
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed here over July 4th weekend, we had a high floor river front room with terrific view of the July 4th fireworks right in front of us. The staff is very friendly and the hotel accommodations are great. Enjoyed drinks in late afternoon outside along the river walk, 616 was great for dinner. The downtown location is great and the hotel is only 45 minutes from Oval Beach in Saugatuck, a terrific beach. We will definitely go back for western Michigan adventures.

Room Tip: High floors have great views, especially river front
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Elida O, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hello Rich,

Thank you for spending your 4th of July weekend with us! I am so glad that you got to enjoy our fabulous location,our beautiful views, and a couple of cocktails on our jdek. We just launched a new menu in six.one.six; hopefully you're able to come see us again soon! Thank you for all of the kind words, and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Michigan
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed on night to attend a concert at the Van Andel Arena and could not have been more satisfied. The location was perfect within walking distance to everything downtown, and only 5 minutes from the Arena. The staff was very nice and the Hotel was well appointed and had great views. I would not consider any other hotel when I visit Grand Rapids again.

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms have amazing views of the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank firestalker
Elida O, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I am so glad that you got to enjoy our fabulous location in close proximity to the Van Andel Arena! When it rains or snows, I like to take advantage of the skywalk that the JW Marriott is connected to – it's super convenient. We appreciate your loyalty, and we look forward to your next stay with us.

US
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed in one of the gorgeous Executive Suites. This is the nicest suite that I have ever stayed in! I especially liked the two work desks- one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The soaking tub was also nice and amazing. I also appreciated the rain shower head in the walk- in shower. The bed and pillows were very comfy. The service was also wonderful. I wanted to recognize Brian Behler, Elizabeth Bergsma, Kate Kleve, Stacee Gadea, Allison at the front desk, and Cleo in the concierge lounge for their wonderful hospitality. These staff members really made my visit to Grand Rapids memorable, and they are true exemplars of the JW experience. I am already planning on a return trip!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on high floors are nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Jericho, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful , wonderful hotel !! Clean, modern with very accommodating staff. Can't say enough great things. Breakfast in restaurant 616 was great and chef Elvis is terrific ! Keep up the great work -- this is our second visit in two years and quality is consistent .

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Neil B
Reviewed 4 July 2014

When I travel to Grand Rapids for business, this is definitely my favorite place to stay. It's clean, modern, and chic. I was even there during ArtPrize last year. I love that there is so much within walking distance to eat, see, and do. I appreciate the Starbucks in the lobby (as well as the ample lobby space to work), and the bar and restaurant are great. I feel very safe here on my own as a solo female traveler. Room service is also quick and delicious for when I don't want to go out!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My family and I have had the pleasure of staying at the JW four wonderful times. It is has been perfect every time and we can't wait for another trip back. If you want wonderful service, great atmosphere, close walking proximity to wonderful downtown Grand Rapids, you can't go wrong with the JW. My sons (11 and ()LOVE staying and the staff is just wonderful with them. You won't be sorry for staying. It's that great. We have stayed in the summer, spring and winter. Make sure you eat dinner at 616. Excellent!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Carrie S, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Lucy G,

Thank you so much for your loyalty and repeated stays with us, and for sharing about your experiences in this review! I am so glad to hear that you and your family - including your children - enjoy our hotel and its offerings so much. We are fortunate to have a dedicated staff who sincerely cares about our guests. We hope to see you again many times in the future.

Carrie S