“WOW!! Amazing Hotel, Great Location, 1st Class Staff”

JW Marriott Grand Rapids
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Sandestin, Florida
“WOW!! Amazing Hotel, Great Location, 1st Class Staff”
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I travel often and I rarely am amazed by a hotel. The JW in Grand Rapids may be one of the top hotels I have stayed in. From the second you pull up to the valet you know you are in for a treat. The hotel looks amazing at night. Once inside the front desk staff is friendly and helpful. We checked in swiftly and headed to the room. The front lobby is very modern, has a hip feel, and overlooks the river. One of the nights we stayed there was even a DJ...In the lobby! We had a room on the 17th floor with a city view. We live on the beach in Florida so the river is really not that exciting to look at. I was in town for my brother's wedding and we had to shower quickly and head to the rehearsal. When I went to shower I noticed the faucet was missing. I called the front desk and almost immediately someone was there to inspect. They took a look and had a bell boy there to help us move in less than 2 minutes! After the wedding we had a chance to hit the pool. The pool is indoor and a little on the shallow end. It does have windows with a view of downtown. There is a decent size hot tub and 2 steam rooms with one being a eucalyptuses bath. I think I really enjoyed the steam rooms more than anything else. They do have a Spa and Gym…neither which I used. I did grab a free apple from the gym which is a nice touch. The following morning we enjoyed a free breakfast at the onsite restaurant. It featured all local produce and the food was great. I booked a package that included breakfast so make sure you look for that option. We stayed a couple more nights and everything was perfect till the end. I came to Grand Rapids not knowing what to expect. I was blown away with the city and the JW Marriott. I am looking for a reason to go back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
Terre Haute
Reviewed 27 June 2009

MY wife and 2 young children stayed on Thursday and Friday in last week of June. We were struck by the Modern interior and excellent accommodations, but put off by the Phone system. we are members of Marriott club? so we got a free upgrade to nicer river front room. My kids loved the pool and the fitness center and spa looked great but we did not partake. There were plenty of nice towels at the pools and two types of Steam rooms and a hot tub. The hotels was extremely busy with a religious conference in town. The check in staff was a bit overwhelmed but friendly none the less. We had a hotel block rate for a wedding group but the AAA rate was just as good.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Mentor, OH
Reviewed 28 May 2009

This hotel is new within the past couple of years and lives up to the "JW" experience. It is ultra modern and during the week, has mostly young, business travelers, from what I could see. The facility is very clean and the staff are exceptional. We used the lobby for internet access, as it was free there, instead of paying for it in the room (just a tip).

Mixology, the bar/lounge, is wonderful with everything to choose from. The restaurant, Six One Six is pricey and not really worth what you get... My hubby had the scallops and I had the NY Strip, and we left hungry. The food was VERY average, and what I didn't like about the steak was that it was fatty and came out looking charred after having ordered it "medium." The nice waitress said it was the spices that were charred and not the meat, but still, it did not look appetizing. I ate lunch there the following day, and was still unimpressed with the food and its prices. Again, the staff was extraordinary, but they need to work on their "eats." We had dinner at the Bulls Head nearby the following evening and it was good, pub food, and was reasonably priced. Overall, it was very much worth the stay as everything else is truly fabulous. We had the "spa" experience as well... Caitlin and Dana were wonderful! So, treat yourself!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Traveled from Chicago to Grand Rapids for a concert. I made reservations online, requested early check in. We arrived at 12:00. Our room was available. The staff was very nice. We stayed on the concierge floors.
Room:
Trendy Modern, a little bit small, but overall very comfortable beds, awesome view,
flat screen tv, hook up for computer, video, etc near the desk in room. Bathroom with tub and separate shower. Shower was heaven. Great shower head.
Everything you need is in the room, iron, coffee maker, full size hair dryer- located below the sink, bathrobes, sample size hair care products.
Concierge lounge: quiet and relaxing with leather couches and pillows. Flat screen Tv's and radio for your enjoyment, computer internet access(was not working when there) Guests staying in concierge rooms have 24 access to the lounge. There are complementary drinks in the fridge that you have access to 24 hrs.
Snacks at 5 and later in the evening. Complementary wine and beer during snack time.

Buffet breakfast: We had complementary breakfast included in our rate downstairs in the restaurant. Absolutely the best breakfast I have ever eaten. Omlettes are heaven. So is the homemade granola vanilla yogurt. Food is fresh and tastes homemade. Definitely does not taste like standard hotel food. If you don't have vouchers. Breakfast is about $18 a person- which is a priced way over the top for a hotel in Grand Rapids MI. If it was Chicago or NY you could justify it. Not in Grand Rapids.

Parking: Self parking garage directly across the circular driveway of hotel is $16.00 a day. Valet is $25. Go with the self park. Save some money.

Overall this is a wonderful and beautiful hotel. Awesome staff and accomodations.
But the prices for the rooms and breakfast etc needs to come down in price. You cannot justify the prices for the location. It's in the middle of Michigan.
Beware: downtown Grand Rapids has much to be desired in terms of afforable restaurant eating. You are better locating restaurants in the surrounding suburbs for a meal. There is a trendy italian place 2 blocks from the hotel that has outrageous prices.
$25-29 for pasta dinners. These prices are more inline with NY and Las Vegas, not the midwest.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Windycity21
Portage, MI
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Stayed overnight for a birthday celebration. Very happy with everything and they gave me some nice b-day gifts unexpectedly. Not cheap but you certainly get your money's worth when staying here. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
daninthecity
Reviewed 9 March 2009

This hotel was beautiful! Rooms and bathrooms were spacious and very clean. Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank daninthecity
Michigan
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Stayed here for a leisure weekend stay with my husband and 2 children (ages 6 and 4). This is a wonderful hotel! We ugraded to a river view and it was worth while. Our room was on the 17th floor and the view was amazing. (my kids commented that it felt like we were on a ship because we were so close to the river). Our room had many windows and everything was in immaculate condition and stylish. The bathroom was large and very luxurious. We enjoyed the indoor pool and steam rooms. Valet service was great and so was the front desk. Very friendly staff. Overall, loved the hotel and downtown Grand Rapids.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family