Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
JW Marriott Grand Rapids(Grand Rapids)
  • Breakfast included
CityFlatsHotel(Grand Rapids)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
131 Hotel-Plaza(Grand Rapids)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pearl street grillford museumroad noisewithin walking distancepublic museumacross the riverbars and restaurantssmall bathroomlobby barconvenient locationroom was clean and comfortableart prizepool and hot tubchecking invan andel arenadefinitely stay here againparking lot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel is a 5-minute walk across the bridge to downtown Grand Rapids, which probably accounts for why it's a little more expensive than the other Holiday Inns in town. It's much more reasonable than the Courtyard, the JW or the Amway Grand.

It was nearly empty when we stayed over Christmas. Got upstairs and hauled all of our bags only to realize we'd been given a room with a single bed instead of two. Back downstairs to the desk, and the second room was a winner. Paige at the front desk was very apologetic and helpful.

A few things about the room design were just a little off -- surprising for such a new hotel. For starters, I couldn't get the door open even though the key was working. A helpful maintenance staffer suggested I try lifting the handle up instead of pushing it down, which worked. The beds jutted out into the common area of the room. The cabinet containing the refrigerator opened one way, while the fridge inside opened the other way. But these are little things.

My wife and daughter enjoyed the pool. We didn't use the restaurant. Friendly staff, a well-stocked and inexpensive full bar, and convenient and free parking help make this a worthwhile place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank childbride84
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear childbride84,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note your positive feedback on our hotel staff, pool facility, well-stocked bar and complimentary parking. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests just a good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced in your room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Because of contractural restrictions, sometimes when I travel I don't have the broadest of choices in hotel accomodations to choose from. I decided on this hotel for proximity and was very pleased with my stay here. It appeared that the property had been renovated recently (?) because it didn't have the 'standard' Holiday Inn look or feel. The rooms were what I expected and the staff was very informative and friendly. The adjoining restaurant was nice and the staff very quick and courteous. If coming back to the Grand Rapids downtown area, I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Mrluthor,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that our hotel was able to meet the qualifications for your travel restrictions. Our goal is to continually upgrade the hotel to provide a consistent Holiday Inn style accommodations with a little twist. We look forward to your return visit to Grand Rapids and our hotel. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel very nice from outside arrived to room which was small but comfortable. Things seemed fine until they closed the pool before scheduled time. Just wanted to sit in the hot tub for 10 min after along day of shopping with the kids and found it closed early called the front desk and they said it shuts down automatically. Will not stay again because of this

Stayed: December 2013
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Fearghost,

I have to apologize for your disappointment with not being able to access the whirlpool. It is true that the keycard assess to the pool area is on an automatic timer. However, that does not excuse the fact that the timer is obviously not at the proper time. I thank you for bringing that to my attention and will have the timing issue corrected immediately. While we do try to adhere to the posted hours for the consistency each of our guests can expect, I would have much preferred that we had manually opened the door for you at least for a few minutes of relaxation. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide excellent service on your next stay. Thanks again for your candid comments.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed at this location for one night during the Wine and Beer Festival. Great location, as we only had to walk a couple of blocks to the event. Easy to find, clean rooms, great restaurant with great prices, nice bar, welcoming staff. I would suggest that if you have a room next to the elevator (and are a light sleeper) that you switch rooms. The noise of the motors woke me up numerous times....my husband, not at all. That being said, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

SusanC,

We are so excited that you were able to experience the International Wine, Beer and Food Show. It event gets bigger every year and is a great opportunity to do some taste testing. Thank you for choosing our hotel as your home base for the evening as well. Shall we make your reservation for next year? Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Rather than stay at the designated conference hotel in Grand Rapids, I decided to stay at the nearby Holiday Inn to keep my cost down, which is a short walk from the conference center. It was an excellent selection for my 2-night stay. The hotel has been renovated, the bed was very comfortable, and the free Internet connection was fast and reliable, which is a very important thing for me because of my business needs.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

jwaymoo,

Thank you so much for your comments. The Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown does provide for a great value in the downtown area. Our location to DeVos Place and many other downtown venues is a great advantage that we don't take for granted. We hope you will be back in Grand Rapids soon on business or better yet when you have free time to explore the city. There is always something interesting taking place. See you again soon!