“Great Downtown Hotel”

Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The boyfriend and I stayed here on our Western Michigan Beercation. It's right in downtown and you can walk anywhere from here.

I had initially booked it through the hotel website itself, but ended up getting a deal on Priceline for a WAY cheaper price.

The staff was very nice and helpful, parking was free and safe. We enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Erin H, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

SoCalC8,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay. Its great to hear that our staff was accommodating and you enjoyed all the amenities our property has to offer. We hope to see you again in the future for another great stay!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Checked in on August 10, 2014 and checked out August 11 (of the same year, obviously). Arrived at about 8:00 PM and quickly checked in without any hesitation. Asked some questions about what was around and was given all sorts of great information.

I asked for a late check out because I can't check into my next destination until 3:00 PM and Emily enrolled me in the rewards program and let me know that I was scheduled to have a 2:00 PM checkout. All in all it took about 5 minutes.

I should also note that Emily initiated conversation, was very welcoming, and was helpful with making change for $100. Coming from past hospitality experience I have to say that it's nice to be greeted with the same standard that I gave guests when I worked in the industry.

Later that evening we were starving and asked the front desk for suggestions on where to go. I apologize but I forget the girl's name. She was working with Emily at the front desk. I forget her name but want to make sure she gets credit if any management reads this! Anyhow, she asked us what we liked and since we were open minded, she grabbed a map and I asked her where she'd go. She suggested a place called Z's Sports Bar. It's across from the JW and it's really good so I definitely suggest it. Great food and a ton of beer. I like beer.

We came back from dinner and hit the pool (Open until 11:00). I will say that the pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned in quite a few hours. There were towels all over the place. I get that it can be busy in hotels so I didn't hold it against anybody. While I was in the hot tub engineering came in and checked the chlorine levels so it's not like the pool is neglected by any means.

The room was pretty solid. We got an executive king and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I come from the land of Starwood and I'm spoiled by Westin but this room was a nice treat. It had pretty much a fully functioning kitchen in it. Counter top, microwave, sink, refrigerator, coffee pot. Not bad!

Bathroom was small but that's only because I come from Westin and I'm used to huge bathrooms. It was a standard bathroom for a hotel and it was clean and in great shape.

The bed was huge and not that comfortable but I practice martial arts so I'm always sore.

The gym is in great shape but lacks anything work using. There s a bench and a few dumbells, a bosu ball, yoga mat, treadmill, eliptical, and some other cardio machine. I would have used it but there wasn't even a place to do pull ups so I opted out for working out in the hotel room. It was plenty big to do yoga, body weight exercises, and more.

All in all this is a really nice place, especially in regards to a Holiday Inn. They seem to have really changed their image which is nice.

I think the price was around $180 for the night (booked third party even though hotels hate that - sorry guys, I'm poor!). Anyway, I don't travel often but when I do I always make sure to leave a review if it was good or bad and I have to say that over all this place was pretty stellar for the price. If you're spoiled by four diamond places then you might not agree but if you are a budget traveller this will definitely be a higher class establishment!

Room Tip: Get an executive king away from the elevator. It's incredibly loud. I'm not a picky sleeper...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

ralph_bigglesworth,

Wow, thank you for your great comments on our property and staff. We love to hear comments about our service and amenities. We hope that you had a great time exploring the downtown area and hope to see you again in the future. On your next visit ask our desk about the YMCA that we partner with, maybe their day pass would have been more suited for your workout level as ours is somewhat limited. We will however pass on your comments to our front desk as we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here two nights, recently, for work. The location of this hotel is great, right near downtown Grand Rapids, but the same time, it's location is it's bane. The hotel is literally 200 feet from U.S. 131, which is a major thoroughfare through the area... you hear cars and semi trucks all night long.. not a good location for light sleepers.

Also, they're limiting towel cleaning under the guise of limiting energy consumption (more profit).

The hotel is okay, mainly due to downtown location.. has a small bar inside, and a grille that serves okay food.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Blakk,

Thank you for your comments. Our goal is always a restful nights sleep and we do apologize that is not what you experienced during your stay. We thank you for bringing it to our attention as we are always open for suggestions on way to improve our guest experience. In regard to your towel usage and cleaning, we do offer all our guests an option to reuse so as to lower our water usage. We implement green initiatives each quarter and that is one of our most supported ventures. As a green hotel partner we take every opportunity to preserve our environment!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

It was what you'd expect for a Holiday Inn. The room was clean and the hotel is within walking distance of things downtown. But I was here for a conference, so that stuff didn't matter that much. The problem I had was the noise. Noise inside the hotel wasn't really a problem but the outside noise was terrible. The hotel is next to a highway and I could hear the highway noise all night. (It was so bad that I've decided to download a white noise app for my iPad to see if it helps. Too late for this hotel, unfortunately.)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Erin H, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

CeliaArnaud,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. Let me take a moment to apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. As we are in the sleep business, uninterrupted sleep is the only kind we strive to provide. Your comments are greatly appreciated so we can address our problem areas and improve in the future. We hope that this does not discourage you from exploring our beautiful downtown area as we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel was in a great location. I got an amazing sleep in a quiet room, despite it being by the highway. The hotel also has free parking. I definitely recommend staying here if you are in downtown Grand Rapids.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Erin H, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

en i,

Thank you for your comments! We are pleased to hear about the great sleep you had during your recent stay. As we continue to be one of the only places in the downtown area to offer complimentary parking, we hope that we will see you again in the future for another good nights rest!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Its an average holiday inn. They keep the rooms very clean. Exceptional service from the people who work at this hotel. They also have a nice little bar downstairs

Its also within walking distance from anywhere you need to be downtown which is an added bonus.

Room Tip: East side you can see the museum and river.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Spencer B

Spencer B,

Thanks for your great comments on our property. We strive to give you the best guest experience possible and hope that with our high standards of cleanliness and service we will see you again in the near future for another downtown adventure!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Came to Grand Rapids for a bachelor party celebration. There was a mix up with reservations at the first hotel we stopped at. walked into the lobby of this hotel and immediately were set up into our rooms. The staff of this hotel was incredible. Would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone going to the Grand Rapids area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

DrewL,

Thank you for your amazing comments on our staff! Your kind words and continued business are the reason we strive to be better each day. Our team takes great pride in being a favorite property for guests such as you. We hope to see you and all your friends again soon for the next celebration!