“need updated hotel”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Cincinnati, Ohio
“need updated hotel”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

In the 1980's hotel was most likely top notch. Now a little run down. Rooms very small. We were one off about 8 people staying there. Price was right and room was clean. Pool and Hot Tub were dirty.

Room Tip: inner room would have been much better.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I bid on a 3-Star hotel on Priceline for a business trip to Grand Rapids, and won a room at this hotel. After seeing several negative reviews, I must counter with positive feedback: This is a fabulous business hotel, and well worth the price I bid. While several reviewers commented negatively on the decor, I enjoyed the atmosphere and furnishings in this hotel. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and the shower was one of the best I have experienced, at any hotel. Most importantly, both the room and public areas were exceptionally clean. The staff were friendly, efficient and professional. The flatscreen TV provided a variety of channels. The wireless internet password was provided to me upon check-in, it worked immediately, and was incredibly fast. The only negatives I can provide are that the fan in the bathroom was a bit noisy, and that the main entrance to the property was hard to find from the street.

While neither the architecture or the decor may be the most 'contemporary', don't let this dissuade you from staying at this property. I have stayed at newer properties classified by Priceline as 3-Star which were dirty, poorly staffed, and poorly maintained. I would without question prefer to stay at an older property which displays exceptional maintenance and service, which the Crowne Plaza certainly did.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed at the hotel several times in the past 2 weeks as I used it as a stop off as I vacationed in Traverse City. I have read several negative reviews but since I've always had a good experience at this hotel I decided to stay. My experience was very pleasant. The room wap updated, clean and the bedding superb. The staff was very helpful including the courtesy shuttle to and from the airport. In all fairness to the hotel, it is obvious they have taken on a major renovation which appears nearly completed and perhaps they have stumbled a time or two. The restaurant/bar was excellent and I was pleased with the entire experience. I would stay there again!!

Room Tip: Ask up front if your room is in an area where the renovation has been completed.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property online. It sounds like you have a good idea of our property as you have stayed before and continue to return. We appreciate all honest feedback and strive to improve our operations every day. Thank you for continuing to stay with the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids!

Andrea Johnston
Front Office Manager
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

We are at the hotel now. We booked two rooms. One king bed room and the second room with two double beds. The first room as for two nights and the second room was for my sister arriving the second night.... When my sister arrived the second night the check in person was so baffled. I told him that she needed and I paid for 2 double beds for her and her family. He nodded and gave her the key. Well he gave her a one double bed room. When I went go back to change the room and he admitted he gave her a one bed because that's all he had. From reading other reviews, this is normal for them to not care and just give any room ready.

The hotel is very old and way overpriced. it should be $70 a night at the most. We have mold on the ceiling of the bathroom. A chipped off piece of marble in the shower. The shower is gross. there is not a fridge. you have to rent one for $10 a day, dumb. For Internet access you have to call the front desk for a password, stupid. The carpeting throughout the whole facility is awful, gross, and outdated. Stay somewhere else. I wish we would have stayed at the Hampton Inn by Target.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank travelbird813
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Travelbird813,

First, I would like to apologize for you not receiving the room type that you requested. We do a lot of family business on the weekends and have connecting room and two queen bed requests often. I thought we did a great job of ensuring those requests were met 100% of the time and it sounds like that is not the case. We will definitely work to improve this area so that it does not happen again. We value our family and sport business and our ultimate goal is to exceed all expectations. We also should be handing out our internet password at check in, so that our guests do not have to call the front desk. I will ensure this is being done more consistently as well. As far as the specific room issues, I would like the opportunity to address those in that specific room. Please contact me so that I can find out more details and I can compensate you for your disappointment. I appreciate your feedback and the time you spent reviewing our property. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Andrea Johnston
Front Office Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2012

As a platinum club member, they offer a executive lounge, for evening snacks and drinks. And in the morning continental breakfast. Otherwise you have to pay for breakfast at the restaurant. Is the hotel decor out of date? Yes. Is the staff pretty good? Yes. Room is clean, nice bedding,

Room Tip: If your a smoker, request a balcony room so you don't have to go down 4 stories to go outside. A...
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I visited this hotel for business. My company held an onsite event in one of the meeting rooms. My colleagues and I stayed for just one night. I am mostly disappointed in how outdated and in need of repair my room looked. For example, my bathroom had wallpaper that literally looked like it was from the 70s and the back of the bathroom door had strips of the wood peeling (or peeled off). Just awful! Also, I feel like the photo of the hotel restaurant looks nothing like it actually appears. We observed wires hanging from the ceiling, duct tape over what must have been a hole in the carpet. Just not what I would've expected from a Crowne Plaza and from the presentation of the hotel on its website. Our event was okay; the meeting room again was worn, but functional. The staff has been very friendly and helpful. But, I would hesitate to hold a business event here again because of the appearance and condition of much of the facility.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Cheerleader62,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are glad you liked the location of our hotel and our friendly staff. We are deeply sorry you found your room accommodations less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Trenton, Michigan
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Big facility that can handle a convention, a conference, hundreds of soccer players & their families in a week-end...They have sufficient help, adequate common areas, and enough things for adults and children to do. And, you can get a good nights rest (if you chose) besides. Very nice room and
nice updates. Good value.

Room Tip: Single cup coffee maker.... hmmm. Also, no in room safe. But, I still enjoyed my week-end.