“Just fine but not quite to "Crowne Plaza" standards”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Michigan
“Just fine but not quite to "Crowne Plaza" standards”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Everything about this hotel was just fine but it's just not quite to the standard that I would expect from the "Crowne Plaza" name. It's obvious that the hotel acquired an existing building and is trying to bring it up to "Crowne Plaza" status. The rooms are nicely furnished but little things like wear on the carpet, room layout, and the extremely small toilet/shower area (separate from the sink), mark it as a former "budget" property. There was no towel rack in either the sink or shower area. Wall insulation seems to vary by area; I had no problems but a colleague was kept awake most of the night by a neighbor's snoring. Sounds from the hall are quite loud. Quality of the bed also varies; my mattress was very soft (too soft for my liking) while another colleague said her bed was hard - "beyond firm, this was actually hard." The TV picture was fuzzy (no hi-def) and was stretched to match the width of the screen. I started to get a headache after about half an hour.

The good things: The food was excellent. I was attending a professional meeting and we had buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, each of which were delicious. The restaurant is also nice, with a good selection of reasonably-priced dishes. The staff are prompt, helpful and courteous. Connection to hotel wi-fi was simple and problem-free. There is a very small fitness center and a reasonably-sized pool.

The meeting rooms are convenient and well-equipped, although quite chilly. For our needs - a small group - it was perfect. Parking is ample and convenient. There are numerous restaurants and other stores within walking distance.

For our special "group" rate, it was just fine, but don't expect a typical "Crowne Plaza" property.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the end of a hallway, away from the elevators, south side of the property.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear SuisseGal,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us. I'm pleased to see that the hospitality and food/beverage part of your visit went well. I'm also happy that you were satisfied with some of our amenities, ie. pool, fitness center, wifi. If you have any issues during a future stay with us, for example the temperature of a room, please don't hesitate to let our staff know so that the situation can be corrected immediately. You are correct, this is an older building, however, we are constantly looking for ways to improve and update this facility. Your concerns have been forwarded along to management. Rest assured your review will be used to help us consider what improvements we need to make. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Sales & Social Media Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed for one night after booking a secret hotel on Priceline to get a lower rate. It said 3.5 star but it's no where near that. I've stayed at a few other local hotels in the past that were 2 or 2.5 stars and they were much nicer. First impression pulling in parking lot was that this was a old hotel. I checked in and as I walked into my building we were greeted with a very badly overflowing garbage can that was also laying on grass and sidewalk. I then went to my non smoking room was hit with a very strong smell of smoke so returned to the front desk for a different room and as I entered this one I found dirty socks from someone before us. I returned to desk to let them know and they said we will have someone come take care of it but hours later they were still there so I moved them to the hallway and 12 hours later they were still laying outside our door in the hallway. On a positive note they did clean up garbage by entrance right away after I let the front desk know and also they brought us a mini fridge to use for free which they normally charge for (not sure why). They also gave us free buffet breakfast after I complained to Priceline about the quality of the hotel. Everything about the hotel just feels and looks old. I was very disappointed with our stay and I expected WAY better from a Crowne Plaza hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Jason M,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for the bad experience during your recent stay with us.

I will be forwarding your concerns directly to our management. Rest assured your review will be used to help us consider what improvements need to be made, and to give praises where needed. If you feel that you need to contact a manager directly, our front desk manager's name is Chris Fuller. Once again I apologize for the poor experience and hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done, during a future stay.

Lake City, Michigan
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Good customer service, tastefully decorated room with comfortable beds and good quality bedding. We were given late checkout for free until 2 pm, which is an added bonus! The only thing that would make it even better is I wIsh they provide free breakfast, but Tim Horton's is just across the street.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Joanna,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased to hear that your most recent stay with us went very well. We appreciate your business and hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel is nice enough, but it was what I expect from a Holiday Inn, not a Crowne Plaza and that makes sense since the hotel is priced as a Holiday Inn. (I knew the great price was too good to be true!). Carpet wasn't the cleanest and while the bed was comfortable, the pillows were small. We were given the handicap room so had a walk in shower which didn't have shelves for soap, shampoo, etc. The buffet breakfast was delicious with many choices and we were able to add it on during booking for $5 each. That was a great price giving us the choice of the buffet or ordering anything from the menu. Every worker at the front desk, the bar and the restaurant was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear wayfairers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that the hospitality/service part of your visit was great. However, I do apologize for less than average room experience. I have passed your concerns along to management. Your review will be used to help us consider what improvements need to be made, and to give praises where needed. We appreciate your business, and hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Check in staff clearly hated their job. Surly, snappy, unfriendly. Rooms were dark. Dire warnings about smoking convince you they have a problem with smoking in the rooms and they do! Breakfast was included but we didn't chance it. Sundance Grill was across the street.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Earl H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the substandard room and experience. I have passed your concerns along to the proper management, as we do take our guest comments seriously. Please be assured that these issues will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to provide a better experience for you in the future.

Haslett, Michigan
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This hotel is ok, nothing great but no real complaints. The carpet in our room was dated and ugly and the pool area was overrun with loud children. The beds were comfortable with nice pillows, staff was friendly, plenty of free parking. I had a room with 2 queen beds on the third floor. Very clean room and bathroom. There was a nice balcony overlooking a quiet area. Several restaurants and bars within walking distance, although it is safer to travel by car if you're not drinking due to the dark and busy street. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, ask for a third floor room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Erinb,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your most recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that your trip was not bad. However, I would like your next trip to be a Great one. :-) I have forwarded your comments along, as we do take guest reviews seriously. On your next visit, feel free to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle (within 3 miles), 24/7. Also, if you enjoyed your room's location, feel free to request the same room/one in the same area, and if available, we are always more than willing to accommodate. Thank you again, and we appreciate your business.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I reserved a suite for a wedding weekend. Arrived at the hotel at 5 pm. Check in is at 4 pm. No suites available. Front desk lady offers to put me in a king room and "bring me up a microwave to the room". She appears to be serious. What a joke. So much for their advertised check in time. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear weldon79,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for no suites being available. Your review will be used to consider improvements and give praises where needed. I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done during a future stay.