“Great Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Traverse City, Michigan
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Great location, nice, clean rooms. Front desk is very helpful and pleasant. Pool is nice in tat it is a combination inside and outside pool. Meijers across the street is great for any items you may have forgotten to get. We stay here at least twice a year when we go shopping in Grand Rapids.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Barb R,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us was a great one. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of some of our amenities. Should you choose to stay with us during the summer, we do have both the indoor and outdoor portion of the pool open and available to guests. We appreciate your business and hope to serve you in the future.
Sales & Social Media Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is old and is not much different than the other Crowne Plaza's I have stayed at. I found a very good deal on Hotwire and is really the reason why I stayed here. My colleagues stayed at a different hotel, paid almost double the price, but also had much better breakfast buffet, coffee, warm cookies. I would stay here if I am traveling on budget. Otherwise I would consider something else for better services, hotel quality, etc.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear expedition17,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Unfortunately, this facility is a bit older than most, but we are constantly working towards maintaining and updating it. Please accept my apologies for the less than average service you received, and your low perception of hotel quality and cleanliness. If you ever have any problems, or concerns, please don't hesitate to let our staff know so that the situation may be corrected immediately. Once again thank you for your review. We hope to be able to serve you in the future.
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed here when needing to fly out from the GR airport. Everything was great from the room to the service. I think the reviewers are being a little harsh on here. I stay at many IHG hotels across the country and this one is more than accommodating and worth the money spent. We were able to leave our car at the hotel and a shuttle took us to the airport.

Thank you for a great stay!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear RDUHM,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us, and are planning to return in the future. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our parking and shuttle amenities. Once again we appreciate and thank you for your feedback. Have a wonderful weekend.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have stayed here for the last 6 years, when I visit Grand Rapids for work about once every 3 months. Yes, the hotel is old and dated, but the service kept me coming back. Overly friendly staff. Today, The staff has become below average at best. No Plat recognition, lines at check in, and check in agent was chewing candy or a gum ball or something huge, which made her talk funny, it was a the size of a huge gumball sticking out of her cheek. How about we stop eating when talking to guests.

This combined with No refrigerators in rooms, toliet that barely flushes, and the worn and datedness, I regret to say I will be trying the Holiday Inn Express that gets much better reviews across the street on my next visit. Crowne plaza is suppose to be higher class, but it no longer is at this location.

Room Tip: A Tip to choose a good room would be call a different hotel, this one needs to be put out to pasture...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Happyharvick,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for the "down hill" experience you endured during your recent stay with us. I have already forwarded your comments along to management. Rest assured, your review will be used to help us consider what improvements we need to make. If you would like to contact us directly, our front office manager's name is Chris Fuller. This is an older facility, but we are constantly striving to improve it to the best of our abilities. As far as the issue with the lady at the front desk eating/chewing something, I have addressed it to the appropriate manager. Thank you again for taking the time to write us a review. I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what improvements have been made on our end, during a future stay.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Having stayed with Crowne in other locations we thought we had chosen well. We were disappointed. We booked in advance for the room and were double charged. Hotel staff was less than helpful with resolving charges. The room we had was noisy from all sides, including hallway. Carpet dirty, bed uncomfortable, broken tiles. We will not be back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Bob H,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for poor service and lack of maintenance that you experienced during your recent stay with us. I have forwarded your comments along to the proper management. Your review will be used to help us consider what improvements we need to make. I hope you can give us a chance to show you what changes we have made during a future stay. If you have any issues with billing, or feel that you need to talk to management directly, our front desk manager's name is Chris Fuller. Once again I do apologize.
Michigan
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Everything about this hotel was just fine but it's just not quite to the standard that I would expect from the "Crowne Plaza" name. It's obvious that the hotel acquired an existing building and is trying to bring it up to "Crowne Plaza" status. The rooms are nicely furnished but little things like wear on the carpet, room layout, and the extremely small toilet/shower area (separate from the sink), mark it as a former "budget" property. There was no towel rack in either the sink or shower area. Wall insulation seems to vary by area; I had no problems but a colleague was kept awake most of the night by a neighbor's snoring. Sounds from the hall are quite loud. Quality of the bed also varies; my mattress was very soft (too soft for my liking) while another colleague said her bed was hard - "beyond firm, this was actually hard." The TV picture was fuzzy (no hi-def) and was stretched to match the width of the screen. I started to get a headache after about half an hour.

The good things: The food was excellent. I was attending a professional meeting and we had buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, each of which were delicious. The restaurant is also nice, with a good selection of reasonably-priced dishes. The staff are prompt, helpful and courteous. Connection to hotel wi-fi was simple and problem-free. There is a very small fitness center and a reasonably-sized pool.

The meeting rooms are convenient and well-equipped, although quite chilly. For our needs - a small group - it was perfect. Parking is ample and convenient. There are numerous restaurants and other stores within walking distance.

For our special "group" rate, it was just fine, but don't expect a typical "Crowne Plaza" property.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the end of a hallway, away from the elevators, south side of the property.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear SuisseGal,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us. I'm pleased to see that the hospitality and food/beverage part of your visit went well. I'm also happy that you were satisfied with some of our amenities, ie. pool, fitness center, wifi. If you have any issues during a future stay with us, for example the temperature of a room, please don't hesitate to let our staff know so that the situation can be corrected immediately. You are correct, this is an older building, however, we are constantly looking for ways to improve and update this facility. Your concerns have been forwarded along to management. Rest assured your review will be used to help us consider what improvements we need to make. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed for one night after booking a secret hotel on Priceline to get a lower rate. It said 3.5 star but it's no where near that. I've stayed at a few other local hotels in the past that were 2 or 2.5 stars and they were much nicer. First impression pulling in parking lot was that this was a old hotel. I checked in and as I walked into my building we were greeted with a very badly overflowing garbage can that was also laying on grass and sidewalk. I then went to my non smoking room was hit with a very strong smell of smoke so returned to the front desk for a different room and as I entered this one I found dirty socks from someone before us. I returned to desk to let them know and they said we will have someone come take care of it but hours later they were still there so I moved them to the hallway and 12 hours later they were still laying outside our door in the hallway. On a positive note they did clean up garbage by entrance right away after I let the front desk know and also they brought us a mini fridge to use for free which they normally charge for (not sure why). They also gave us free buffet breakfast after I complained to Priceline about the quality of the hotel. Everything about the hotel just feels and looks old. I was very disappointed with our stay and I expected WAY better from a Crowne Plaza hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Jason M,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for the bad experience during your recent stay with us.

I will be forwarding your concerns directly to our management. Rest assured your review will be used to help us consider what improvements need to be made, and to give praises where needed. If you feel that you need to contact a manager directly, our front desk manager's name is Chris Fuller. Once again I apologize for the poor experience and hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done, during a future stay.