“adequate”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Room was ok, service left a lot to be desired. Go for the discount rate, never pay more than 50 bucks. The service was very disappointing. Either at the desk or in the restaurant, I must have been see thru. The room was ok. Bathroom typical for an old hotel, lousy shower, bad drain, The heater could wake the dead when it kicked in, so it was a long night. Have stayed here before, will try someplace else next time.

Room Tip: get off the ground floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear CW:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I appreciate that you have stayed here before. Please accept my apologies for the service issues and items in the rooms. This is not indicative of the service I wish to provide, I appreciate your candid and frank feedback and will share this with my staff to improve our service and product. I hope you will look at this as a one-time situation and give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Kind regards

J. Lagazo

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

My son and I were staying at the Crowne Plaza in Grand Rapids for a hockey tournament in which we were participating. My son has a habit of leaving his retainer on the counter, and Sunday, the 19th of January was no exception. I put his retainer in a tissue and set it in a glass I had been using for water (my mistake). When we were packing to leave the next day, my son asks me where is his retainer? I immediately guessed what had happened, and you can probably guess too. The ladies who cleaned our rooms threw the tissue and the retainer away, and after several phone calls on my part they were unable to find it. While all of this was going on, and to make matters worse, I left a clear bag of toiletries on the bed, also which they were also unable to find.
My last conversation was with the manager Chris. He said that they can't be held responsible and there is nothing he can do. I will take my share of the responsibility, but after replacing everything, I'll be out almost $500.00. Chris either thinks I made the whole thing up, or maybe he just doesn't give a damn! That's customer service for you!!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear: Ronald K,

I’m certainly very sorry about what happened, and I apologize that we were not able to find any of your items.

Customer service is very important to me, and I understand your frustration. I take your comments very seriously, as Chris and I don’t think that you made this up. The Housekeeping Manager and her staff did all they could to locate your items—again I apologize that we were not able to find your items.

Sincerely

J. Lagazo

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I've stayed at many hotels from a variety of different price levels. My husband and I went on a quick little get-away from wherevwe live in Chicago to Frankenmuth, MI. We decided to break the drive up and make the trip last longer by using priceline.com to negotiate a 4-4.5 star room at about the half way point. I choose grand rapids because it looked like there was a lot of nice restaurants and a few things to do. Upon arrival 2 ladies were stumbling drunk into the lobby, yelling loudly and making a scene.

This hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. Grand Rapids "downtown" area is 15 minutes away. I was absolutely shocked to see small time middle America. My husband asked at the desk where we could at least get dinner and he recommended ihop, mcdonald, $ steak n shake. Hubby got back in the car and we used our phones to figure out where everything was... Like I said theres a nice downtown area about 15 min away with bars, dueling pianos, a massive tire swing, frank loyd wrights prarie style refurbished house and many many restaurants. We have no clue what the hotel staff was talking about. The room was okay. Looks newly renovated. No water, fridg, minibar, microwave etc. etc. There also isnt a proper closet to hang your clothes in. It was very small and as I use a wheelchair I was in the handicapped room. Another thing was that therevwas no toilet seat cover. YUCK!!

Overall, I just wanted to go home the entire time. If we hadnt had prepaid and not been able to get another hotel that night I would have left. I was on the verge of it all night.

I plan on talking to priceline about the low quality of this hotel.

Room Tip: I thinkmthe handicapped rooms are newer. Our looked to have been a little bit updated. Try another h...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda W
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Amanda M,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Please accept my apologies for the poor experience during your most recent stay with us. I have forwarded your comments and concerns along to management. Yes, there are more things to do downtown Grand Rapids, ie. entertainment and restaurants. However, there are a number of restaurants and bars near the hotel as well. We do have fridges and microwaves available upon request, for a small fee. Once again I do apologize and if you have any concerns that you feel you need to address directly, our guest service manager's name is Chris Fuller.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights. Suitably located on the exit off of I-96 in Grand Rapids. Plenty of restaurants and Grills on either side of the hotel. Staff at Reception desk was welcoming and courteous.

Comfortable beds(a bit firm - to my liking). carpetted floors and a good sized window. Plenty of space in the room to move about, I prefer not stumbling on furniture while moving in the room.
Clean basic washroom. Standard equipment in the room. A second power outlet on the desk would be more convenient. Housekeeping can improve a bit on the attention to detail. Overall - a bit old but fairly acceptable. Very well priced.

Room numbers beyond the first 20 on each floor are a long walk, long hallways. So is the elevator from the Reception Desk. Personally, did feel a heads up that it is a long walk would have made the journey to my room less miserable. Good thing is that there is an additional elevator for rooms 20 + on each floor and it conveniently opens up to a secondary exit.

Room Tip: If parked in front of reception, try for rooms 1-25 on any floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Achint S,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us was a nice one. I have forwarded your concerns along to the proper management. On your next visit with us, please feel free to request a room that is closer to the front desk, and if available, we are always more than willing to accommodate. We appreciate your business, and hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked this hotel based on its star rating. It was not 3-1/2 stars. Maybe 2 stars. It was in need of a remodel job for sure. It was clean and quiet though. The carpeting was so old that it looked dirty from stains. The staff was fine, but the parking lot was a wreck. It had snowed recently and apparently no one that works there knows how to run a shovel. Every time I left I had to wade through the snow and when I came back it was always the same.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Tracy S,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for the poor experience you endured upon your most recent visit. with us. While this building is a bit older, we are constantly working at maintaining and updating it. Please do not hesitate to let our staff know of any concerns or issues you may have, so that we can work at correcting the problem immediately.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at the Crown Plaza Grand Rapids Airport on New Year's eve. The staff was courteous and prompt. We asked for a quiet room, away from the noise. The original room we were put in was next to what appeared to be party central. When I brought this to their attention they promptly moved us to a room that was incredibly quiet for New Year's eve. The rooms were clean but quite dated. There were stains on the carpet in front of the sink. The sheets and blankets were clean but old and should have been retired months before our arrival.

Overall, the experience was acceptable, highlight was the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear David D,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to hear that your most recent stay with us was acceptable, but would like to know what could have made it better. I do apologize for the dated look. We are constantly working at updating and maintaining this facility, as it is an older one. I have forwarded your concerns along to the proper management. On your next visit with us, if you'd prefer a quieter area, or have any other requests, we are always more than willing to accommodate you. I'm happy to hear that the highlight of your stay was our staff. We are always willing to go above and beyond for our guests. Once again thank you for the review. We appreciate your business & hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Great location, nice, clean rooms. Front desk is very helpful and pleasant. Pool is nice in tat it is a combination inside and outside pool. Meijers across the street is great for any items you may have forgotten to get. We stay here at least twice a year when we go shopping in Grand Rapids.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Barb R,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us was a great one. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of some of our amenities. Should you choose to stay with us during the summer, we do have both the indoor and outdoor portion of the pool open and available to guests. We appreciate your business and hope to serve you in the future.