“Perfect example of you get what you pay for - average”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Oviedo, Florida
“Perfect example of you get what you pay for - average”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is an example of you get what you pay for. I was surprised that this hotel was cheaper than the Courtyard Marriott which is where I was originally booked. Check in was a long process and the front desk staff was not polished. Certainly didn't feel valued or given any special attention. I watched as the person checking me answered a call from an internal staff member where he needed an answer from his peers who were busy checking in other guests. So he put the phone down (not on hold) waiting for someone to help. One staff member walked over by the phone knowing they were waiting and ignored it. I finally said something to my person checking me in and he was like oh no there are still waiting? Very unprofessional.

I went to my room and quickly realized it was certainly no frills. In fact it felt kind of dirty. I was also frustrated as there was only one plug by the desk. I needed one by the bed and ideally three at the desk. Hotels never have enough or convenient plugs.

I had dinner and room service at the hotel. Dinner service was excellent. Food was surprisingly good. Only feedback would have been to have it hotter. Steak was coolish and potato was cold. Bread and butter would have been nice but overall well done.

I used room service for breakfast. Prices were very reasonable for a hotel. I ordered the Eggs Benedict and a pot of coffee. The eggs were perfect. However what was surprising was that they were served absolutely plain. It did not make for the presentation it could have with the perfect eggs because it was SO white. No potatoes, no tomatoes...not even a speckle of parsley to have some green! I couldn't believe even a cook did not see that as beyond barren.

I likely would avoid this hotel next time. Prices are great but I would rather get a room that feels clean, a bathroom that is bigger and hopefully a room that was more business friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear dianegooslin,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have stayed here a couple of times over the past year. It is an older property, but clean and super comfy beds. Noise level always seems high as we can hear the neighboring rooms. Front desk staff never seems very happy here. Both times I have felt like I was bothering them to check in. But that's only 5 minutes and I never see them again. Cable was out when we were there. We really only tried to turn it on late night and it wasn't worth calling about. We stay here when we can get a discounted room rate. Average pool area. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either. I am pretty picky about cleanliness, sheets and beds and those were all better than average.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear debntodd,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. I am glad you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. However, it is disappointing to know that you were dissatisfied with the level of service received from our staff. Please be assured that your comments will be addressed with them to consider for improvements needed in what they can offer.

Again, thank you for your time in writing us a review.

Best Regards,

Pam G
East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I am a visitor here from Georgia , I arrived at this hotel which was booked through my employer 2 weeks prior through a company credit card. Once I got here to check in the supervisor Laurie advised me that I needed to have someone fill out an authorization card to approve charging the card tht was set up through my company. Of course it is 6:30pm and I can not get a hold of any one. I tried to use my own debit card which would not validate because I'm in a differnt state. I called my supervisor, manager as well as my company's travel unit in front of Laurie to insure I did work for "this company" as well as her show her my employee badge. I stayed in the lobby for over an hour after 10-15 other customers were helped and i had no options. I finally had my manager contact her to confirm tht she could charge the card, once this was done Laurie came back again to verify the type of card I had to charge the room to and to check see if I could validate it which had already been confirmed I could not. No exceptions were followed up on to accommodate me after just landing here from Georgia. The main focus was to make sure the room would be paid for which she did prior with my manager but still requested to charge the amount to a valid card tht she was aware I did not have. Ultimately, my manager called back spoke with someone in accounting and used his own card. I was never asked once if I was ok. Could they call anyone for me due to my cell phone losing power, if I needed water or anything. I was not kept informed of what was going on behind the scene while she was speaking with my manager. It appears every other party that came into this hotel was greeted and showed respect as well as kindness except for myself, I will refrain from pretty the reasoning why in my opinion. After being emotionally and physically drained from this horrific experience and horrible customer service I finally broke and cried. Laurie did finally come out to the lobby with my key and invoice to sign, I was so upset I couldn't say anything. I am literally in this room typing this up because this is how upset I still am. I arrived at the crowne plaza at 6:35pm I walked into my room at 7:55pm after staying in the lobby with luggage that whole time. It is now 9:45pm and no one from the front desk has called to check on me just based off of courtesy. I am very disappointed and unhappy with this hotel and the service i received. The only good thing was the shuttle ride from the airport and the employee who drove that vehicle. I have made a complaint to be forwarded to the general manager regarding my stay.

• Stayed February 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Shaylawilliams,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We are confident the hotel will continue working with their staff to improve the level of service offered for future guests or your next visit. We would like to address your experience further, and have sent you an email with additional details.

Connie D
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Room was ok, service left a lot to be desired. Go for the discount rate, never pay more than 50 bucks. The service was very disappointing. Either at the desk or in the restaurant, I must have been see thru. The room was ok. Bathroom typical for an old hotel, lousy shower, bad drain, The heater could wake the dead when it kicked in, so it was a long night. Have stayed here before, will try someplace else next time.

Room Tip: get off the ground floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear CW:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I appreciate that you have stayed here before. Please accept my apologies for the service issues and items in the rooms. This is not indicative of the service I wish to provide, I appreciate your candid and frank feedback and will share this with my staff to improve our service and product. I hope you will look at this as a one-time situation and give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Kind regards

J. Lagazo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My son and I were staying at the Crowne Plaza in Grand Rapids for a hockey tournament in which we were participating. My son has a habit of leaving his retainer on the counter, and Sunday, the 19th of January was no exception. I put his retainer in a tissue and set it in a glass I had been using for water (my mistake). When we were packing to leave the next day, my son asks me where is his retainer? I immediately guessed what had happened, and you can probably guess too. The ladies who cleaned our rooms threw the tissue and the retainer away, and after several phone calls on my part they were unable to find it. While all of this was going on, and to make matters worse, I left a clear bag of toiletries on the bed, also which they were also unable to find.
My last conversation was with the manager Chris. He said that they can't be held responsible and there is nothing he can do. I will take my share of the responsibility, but after replacing everything, I'll be out almost $500.00. Chris either thinks I made the whole thing up, or maybe he just doesn't give a damn! That's customer service for you!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear: Ronald K,

I’m certainly very sorry about what happened, and I apologize that we were not able to find any of your items.

Customer service is very important to me, and I understand your frustration. I take your comments very seriously, as Chris and I don’t think that you made this up. The Housekeeping Manager and her staff did all they could to locate your items—again I apologize that we were not able to find your items.

Sincerely

J. Lagazo
Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I've stayed at many hotels from a variety of different price levels. My husband and I went on a quick little get-away from wherevwe live in Chicago to Frankenmuth, MI. We decided to break the drive up and make the trip last longer by using priceline.com to negotiate a 4-4.5 star room at about the half way point. I choose grand rapids because it looked like there was a lot of nice restaurants and a few things to do. Upon arrival 2 ladies were stumbling drunk into the lobby, yelling loudly and making a scene.

This hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. Grand Rapids "downtown" area is 15 minutes away. I was absolutely shocked to see small time middle America. My husband asked at the desk where we could at least get dinner and he recommended ihop, mcdonald, $ steak n shake. Hubby got back in the car and we used our phones to figure out where everything was... Like I said theres a nice downtown area about 15 min away with bars, dueling pianos, a massive tire swing, frank loyd wrights prarie style refurbished house and many many restaurants. We have no clue what the hotel staff was talking about. The room was okay. Looks newly renovated. No water, fridg, minibar, microwave etc. etc. There also isnt a proper closet to hang your clothes in. It was very small and as I use a wheelchair I was in the handicapped room. Another thing was that therevwas no toilet seat cover. YUCK!!

Overall, I just wanted to go home the entire time. If we hadnt had prepaid and not been able to get another hotel that night I would have left. I was on the verge of it all night.

I plan on talking to priceline about the low quality of this hotel.

Room Tip: I thinkmthe handicapped rooms are newer. Our looked to have been a little bit updated. Try another h...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda W
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Amanda M,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Please accept my apologies for the poor experience during your most recent stay with us. I have forwarded your comments and concerns along to management. Yes, there are more things to do downtown Grand Rapids, ie. entertainment and restaurants. However, there are a number of restaurants and bars near the hotel as well. We do have fridges and microwaves available upon request, for a small fee. Once again I do apologize and if you have any concerns that you feel you need to address directly, our guest service manager's name is Chris Fuller.
Jaimee Kasperlik
Sales & Social Media Coordinator
Brampton
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights. Suitably located on the exit off of I-96 in Grand Rapids. Plenty of restaurants and Grills on either side of the hotel. Staff at Reception desk was welcoming and courteous.

Comfortable beds(a bit firm - to my liking). carpetted floors and a good sized window. Plenty of space in the room to move about, I prefer not stumbling on furniture while moving in the room.
Clean basic washroom. Standard equipment in the room. A second power outlet on the desk would be more convenient. Housekeeping can improve a bit on the attention to detail. Overall - a bit old but fairly acceptable. Very well priced.

Room numbers beyond the first 20 on each floor are a long walk, long hallways. So is the elevator from the Reception Desk. Personally, did feel a heads up that it is a long walk would have made the journey to my room less miserable. Good thing is that there is an additional elevator for rooms 20 + on each floor and it conveniently opens up to a secondary exit.

Room Tip: If parked in front of reception, try for rooms 1-25 on any floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Achint S,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us was a nice one. I have forwarded your concerns along to the proper management. On your next visit with us, please feel free to request a room that is closer to the front desk, and if available, we are always more than willing to accommodate. We appreciate your business, and hope to be able to serve you in the future.
Jaimee Kasperlik