“Great Place - Elevator Broken????”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Crown Plaza was the selected hotel for our baseball team over the weekend. The hotel looks like a Cold War relic. However, the rooms were nice, beds were comfortable and the kids enjoyed the pool. It has both an indoor pool (very hot inside) and an outdoor pool with a Tiki Bar. The manager and bartender were very nice and we were even able to get a few photos on the group behind the bar. The outdoor area more than makes up for a very stuffy indoor pool.

The food was ok but I expect better pankcakes for $8.95! They were a bit cold and doughy. The most disappointing part of the stay was the elevator was out of order so I had to make several long walks. Staying on the 4th floor was a challenge!

Hopefully they have corrected this problem. Other than that for $89.00 per night as a group rate it was a great choice for our team. I wish our team could have played a little better!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear bhoke,
Thank you for your candid review. Yes, we are an older hotel, but we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, beds, pool area, tiki hut, staff, and room rate. We apologize that our breakfast did not meet your standards. We have forwarded your comments to our Food and Beverage Director Jayson Dilts so we can consider improvements in the near future.

Thank you again for reviewing your stay. It is our pleasure to serve you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Crown Plaza was an excellent choice for our weekend in the Grand Rapids. Located very close to I-96 and most major shopping locations it was perfect to access anything. The hotel was clean and very sharp looking. The front desk staff were pleasant and friendly when checking in. The layout of the hotel was very cool with an indoor and swim outdoor pool. A nice outdoor patio with a little tiki bar serving cool drinks and snacks. Our room was very nice and clean. We had a walkout second floor patio that overlooked the pool area. The bed was comfortable and had a good amount of fluffy pillows. The hotel and stay we're perfect!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Photofox88,
Thank you so much for your generous review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, staff, pool area, tiki hut, and rooms. We will certainly forward your compliments to the proper management so we can give praise where needed.

Thank you again for your candid review. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My room at the Crowne Plaza was booked for me by someone else and I didn't see the numerous negative reviews until after it was too late. As a result, I was pleasantly surprised.

Yes, it's a long walk from the lobby to the elevators. It's inconvenient if you're tired or have chosen your shoes poorly, but it's not the end of the world, is it? That's the risk you run if you want to stay in a larger hotel. The front desk staff were uniformly pleasant and polite, which previous reviews suggested was unlikely.

I had a second floor room and it was great. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the TV was newish (and had guest-accessible HDMI inputs, which made my life easier), the AC worked and wasn't deafening. There were a few scuff marks on the walls in the entryway -- normal wear and tear, in my opinion, and I had to look for them. And the bathroom was pretty small, but spotlessly cleaned. I'll take a small but clean bathroom over a palatial but half-heartedly cleaned one (yes, Bellagio, I'm talking about you) any day.

The Internet access worked; it was fast enough for my needs, and getting online was simple and did not require multiple reauthentications over the course of my stay. The furniture was comfortable but the room didn't feel cluttered... Well, OK, there was a round occasional table sitting against the back wall that seemed to be there solely as a way to showcase the obligatory Grand Rapids Tourism magazine, but hey, why not? It wasn't in the way.

As an adult male with no particular interest in personal hygiene products, I need to mention that I really appreciated the in-room toiletries. The lemon-lime bar soap smelled fantastic, as did the shampoo and conditioner. On the strength of the hand soap, I actually opened the little complimentary Aromatherapy packet that was sitting on the bed -- a nice touch -- and used some of that stuff. Apparently you aren't supposed to eat the lotions -- like I said, I'm not really tuned into this stuff, so mea culpa -- but two days later I've suffered no ill effects, and that little room spray thing was great.

Downsides? The cavernous restaurant/bar space feels pretty dated... but it's an airport hotel restaurant/bar in Grand Rapids, so what were you expecting? And the food... well, the food was competently prepared but not at all inspired. Again, this should come as no surprise. If you have access to transportation, as I did, and you choose to go to the hotel restaurant because you're tired and/or lazy, as I was, that's what you get. The employees were all friendly and attentive, so it wasn't a negative experience.

One last point. The lobby is bright and clean, but the vibe is a little off. I don't know why, but there's a sense of impermanence in the air, as if the employees are surprised every single morning that corporate hasn't sent orders to turn everything off and go home. For my part, I hope they don't. I had a good experience and plan to return.

Room Tip: I gleaned from other TripAdvisor reviews that rooms on the second floor might be nicer, so I request...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Zedcon1,
Thank you very much for your detailed review. Our guests' feedback allow us to give praise where needed and for us to consider future improvement. That being said, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, complementary wi-fi, room amenities, and staff. On behalf of the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids, I apologize that our restaurant did not exceed your expectations. If you could give us more information about how we could have improved your experience, please do not hesitate to contact me at cvo@crowneplazagr.com. We would love to forward your suggestions to our Food and Beverage Director.

Thank you again for your detailed review. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My daughters and I spent a lovely night here. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and faced the patio, which we enjoyed. The pool was a hit with my kids, we loved that you could swim from the inside section to the outside. It was a great stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear JennN884,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are happy to hear that our staff, rooms, pool area, and price made your stay enjoyable. We will be sure to pass on your compliments to the proper management.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Lobby is 50 yards from elevators. Nice design. Breakfast buffet $11 okay. Burned my hand on metal cover over eggs. Breakfast buffet Presentation is awful. Bar is old. Air is very loud. Bathroom is Small with sink outside of shower. Good price but I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Ravensfan113,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. On behalf of the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids, I apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay. We have forwarded your concerns to the proper management and will use it to consider future improvements. Thank you again for your candid feedback. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us another chance to replace your recent experience with one more in par of our standards.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel is older, but has been updated (probably several years ago). None of the staff makes eye contact or acknowledges your presence when you approach. The concierge clerk and the shuttle driver don't seem too happy to be there either. Upon check-in, I requested a microwave and mini frig. I had to ask 3 times and it took 2 hours to be delivered. First only a microwave was delivered, and then the frig with a 2nd microwave. The front desk clerk did try to help me obtain the appliances and then waived the fee due to my inconvenience. (I had already bought groceries and had no where to put them. I was about to get ice to put in the bags.) Housekeeping did not replenish my supplies the 2nd day, and did not leave a bath mat. The toilet runs, and the closet door and dresser drawers were difficult to open. There are long hallways, but elevators are at each end and there is easy access to parking. The rooms seem quiet. The fitness center is decent and open 24 hours. The concierge is open for a continental breakfast 6:30-10 AM and snacks with beer and wine 6-10 PM. The hotel is in a great location - close to I-96, airport, shopping and restaurants. Everything you could need is on 28th St.

Room Tip: The pool and fitness center is off the lobby away from guest rooms. Rooms ending in 01 and 71 are c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear DeeDee134,
Thank you for your candid feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed our convenient location, parking, fitness center, and concierge lounge.

On behalf of the staff, I apologize for the issues you experienced with our guest services and housekeeping. I have forwarded your concerns to our Guest Services Managers, Nicki Kindt, and Director of Housekeeping, Elsa Colby.

Your feedback allows us to target areas for improvement. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back in the near future to show you what we have done since your stay.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This has been the second time I've stayed at this hotel during visits to family who live in the area. This is a very large hotel, obviously used for seminars and business meetings. There is a nice pool area, exercise/fitness center, lobby bar/restaurant and I understand another restaurant, although I did not see it.
My only negative comment is the elevator close to our room was out of service and we were on the 4th floor. Our options were to walk quite a way to another elevator or take the stairs (which we did)
We also heard some very loud music (next door/nearby) and didn't know if the walls just weren't very well insulated or if the music was very loud. This just lasted for a short period, so it wasn't a major problem.
We will return to this hotel when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Harrisgumby,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our many amenities. On behalf of the staff, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with our elevator during your time with us. Rest assured, we have now fixed the issue.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon for a future stay.