“Dirty and Shady”

Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
“Dirty and Shady”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here a week ago and at a glance it looks ok, but a closer look proves wrong. The bedding was dirty when the covers were pulled back and there was crusty stuff on the throw pillows and bed skirt. The window and slider tracks looked like they hadn't been cleaned in forever and it seemed as though it never gets vacuumed. Our shower was dingy and so were all the walls. At night it's pretty shady, people coming and going and the smell of marijuana was everywhere. It was poorly lit outside and if my husband wasn't with me I would of left because it just didn't seem safe. I won't be staying here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Ami T, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. I regret you were not able to enjoy a positive experience with us. We do enforce a "no party" policy and hope that all of our guest trust in our ability to handle such situations immediately once reported. I will speak with the housekeepers to ensure that our standards of ultra clean rooms are being met and hope that you will give us another opportunity to accommodate you and show you what we have to offer. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 616.957.811, if you would like to share details of your stay, your comments will be used for training purposes.

Ami Tricomo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
Lansing
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Wow this place was perfect for traveling with children for multiple days, we had the 2 bedroom suite, two story, with fireplace and full kitchen, two full bathrooms, 3 tv's, also small patio outdoors which we brought fold up chairs and sat outdoors, the beds were very comfortable, room was very clean and smelled fresh, the tkitchen was fully stocked pots/pans, dishes, utensils, neven a dish washer and dish soap, pool and hot tub were nclean and a great bonus for kids, breakfast was good, I must say I was very impressed with the housekeeping staff, they were so friendly and greeted me with a smile and hello each morning while I was sitting outdoors, they were very welcoming, we had an issue with our tv and maintenance guy came within 5 min. He was very nice and fixed the issue with a smile on his face, I will most definitely stay here again, such a unique place, thank you hawthorn suites for your great hospitality and service:)

• Stayed June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are delighted to hear that our facility was the prefect accommodation for you and your family. Your review is a great source of pride and encouragement for our team and we appreciate your taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Don't be fooled by the less than pretty exterior. Our suite was huge (2 beds, 2 baths, kitchen, and a living room w/ working fireplace) and very clean. Breakfast was good and dinner is served most week nights (although with a fully outfitted kitchen one could cook wonderful meals in your own room). Although there are 4 apartments per unit, we couldn't hear our neighbors and got a wonderful night's sleep. They are currently painting the exterior. Hopefully they will work on the woeful landscaping next. Once in your room - heaven. Be sure to book online, the online price was a full $100 less than what the front desk quoted. 1 hour from the beach, 1 hour from the slopes, 5 min from the mall and restaurants, this is a good place to park your family.

Room Tip: Book online!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Ami T, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review. We do tend to agree that we are a perfect jumping off point for vacationing families to explore the numerous attractions available in Grand Rapids and greater surrounding area. We also want to assure all of our guests that we are still working on completing the repainting of the exterior facility and once completed, we are planning to revamp the courtyards and landscaping. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy a restful stay with us and hope to see you again next time you are in the area!

Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We chose this hotel while visiting Grand Rapids to go to Meijer Gardens & the Meyer May house. The hotel was a pleasant surprise. The outside doesn't look very good, but inside, our room was a fully equipped studio apartment. It would have been great for an extended stay. Since we were only there for 1 night, we couldn't really take full advantage of all it had to offer. We did spend time in the outdoor hottub which worked well. The pool area was cluttered with odds and ends of equipment, which wasn't very attractive, but was easily ignored. With small children, it might have required more supervision to make sure they didn't get into anything. Outside the registation area, there was an outdoor sitting area that was a pleasant place to sit, although a bit noisy because it's close to the main road.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of our property! We are delighted to hear that we were able to provide an overall positive hotel experience during your recent stay at our property. Thank you for mentioning the issues regarding the clutter around the pool area. We will have maintenance take care of the issue straightaway. The exterior facility is undergoing some renovations and we are certain that once completed the courtyards and walkways will reflect the same high standards we hold for all aspects of our facility and services. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back next time you are in town!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My stay was 13 nights. The stay was excellent. The front desk encounters were always pleasant and productive. In general I felt safe. When I did have a problem it was handled with a measure of concern and follow up. The first weekend there were "party people" above me. My thanks to maria at the desk for following through with a police escort for the partiers to leave. The next night also was handled with a warning from front desk.
My cleaning needs were met. The maintenance folks were helpful when there was a bird in the chimney. They listened to me and rescued the bird, which made me very happy. The managing company should be proud today of their team. Thank you to all for your help in assuring a safe stay for me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your glowing review of our property! I appreciate your compliments to our team here at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham in Grand Rapids. Your review is a great source of encouragement for our team and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do pride ourselves on the level of service we are able to provide our guests and relish each and every opportunity to let our property and staff shine.

Warm wishes,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed at this facility for about 20 years, since it was the Residence Inn of Marriott. I wrote a bad review one year ago based on lack of adequate WIFI and the deteriorated condition of the facility. The manager at that time responded by assuring me that these issues had been addressed and improvements were being made. I took her at her word and booked myself there again for my annual trip to Michigan. There have been no improvements to the weak WIFI and, although some painting activity is taking place, it is still in a deteriorated condition. Also, when I went to use the common use computers to get my boarding pass, both systems were inoperable. The young lady on duty at the time used the hotel's computer to accommodate me. I will say, however, that they still serve a great breakfast and the staff members are polite and professional. I will not be staying there in future trips to Michigan.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank Konagil .
Ami T, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review. I regret that your experience with us has been less than stellar these past few years and hope that this apology will in some way renew your faith in our brand. We do appreciate your compliments to our staff. I want to assure you that we are in the midst of exterior renovations and painting and have a targeted end date of the first week in July. We have switched over internet providers this past year in an effort to provide our guests with stronger WIFI signals. We have also installed several hubs throughout the facility to further boost the signal. Please do not hesitate to contact the front desk to have these routers reset if you are experiencing issues getting connected. Our business center does have two operable computers for guest use but currently they are not able to print. Our guest service representatives at the desk are always willing and able to assist in printing any documents for you. We are sorry to see you go and hope to have another opportunity exceed your expectations next time around!