“Love this place”

Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Ludington
“Love this place”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I have stayed here a few times and was very happy. The rooms are nicely appointed & decorated with plenty of space, and clean (a must for me)! The location is perfect if you are dining or attending attractions downtown. The pool was average but if you have kids they will be satisfied. My only complaint was the service in the restaurant was poor, however in their defense it was very busy that night and morning because of a concert at Van Andel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Indiana
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Very nice facility, walking distance to various downtown venues.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I was very disappointed in this hotel selection. I am a platinum member at Marriott and was not impressed. Not only was I not impressed, I was unhappy with my selection. The first room I was provided smelled like BO and i immediately asked for a room change. The second one I received smelled a little different but not as bad. When I returned home to go to bed i found my neighbor on his phone and could make out every single word....the walls are like paper. I am a light sleeper and knew this was not good. Needless to say, I will never stay here again. On the positive side, people were friendly and it is a great location to restaurants and bars.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank island30
plymouth, mi
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We've stayed at this hotel before and really enjoyed it. It's right in the heart of downtwn Grand Rapids within walking distance to one of our favorite restaurants (Bistro Bella Vita) and one of our favorite music venues (The Intersection) as well as other hotspots The Bob and Van Andel Arena. The rooms are big, clean, modern and comfortable. The views are nice. The pool is great. The Wi-fi works well and is free, and parking is convenient. It's not a cheap place to stay - but the ammenities are very nice and given the level of accomodations it is competitive for the price.

Check in was a breeze, the guy was nice enough. So far so good! However, when we got to our room we were disappointed to find that we had been placed in a disabled-access room. This presents a problem for us because there is no lip on the shower and the bathroom floor floods as a result, making preparations for a night out or a day at work very difficult. The mirror and sink are also lowered to accomodate weelchairs.

We called the front desk and politely asked to be relocated and were told "sorry, but there are no more rooms." Well, I could appreciate that if this were 9pm on a weekend night or there was some huge conference going on, but it was 5pm on a Tuesday. The parking lot was nearly empty. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have wrangled us a new room with a little effort. We expected more from the Marriot chain and were disappointed with their lack of effort in this matter. Such a shame because this hotel is a great spot when visiting this under-appreciated city center! Not sure if this was a deal breaker for us or not as we plan our next visit to Grand Rapids.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adavici
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The hotel was just average. The staff wasn't overly helpful. Rooms were clean and just a traditional room...nothin special. We paid almost $200.00 for one night with parking which was a little expensive in my opinion. I would probably check in to other hotels on my next stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Stayed overnight (Friday-Saturday). The Courtyard is located in Downtown Grand Rapids, convenient to the night life (however much of it is in GR). The building is a bit weird in that it shares the location with an apartment complex. The parking is pretty reasonable for a city hotel at $11/night. Big-screen LCD TV with the hookups for a laptop, Internet is free, but unreliable - the only ding on this place, really. GR isn't much of a vacation spot, but for business and a night stop-over can't beat it. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for this room, though. Oh yeah - my room's windows faced the street which made it a little loud.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Bronxville, New York, USA
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here for two nights. Excellent location and exactly what I expect from a no-frills hotel. Nice rooms, free wi-fi, fast check-in and check-out, helpful front desk. What more can you ask for? Excellent value, would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family