“Disappointing stay at the Courtyard Marriott”

Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Disappointing stay at the Courtyard Marriott”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have stayed at this property numerous times in the past, and have usually enjoyed the additional amenities afforded to the Silver Elite members. This time we were on a multi-week trip and planned to leave most of our clothes (on hangars) in the car, and to bring in only what we needed one day at a time. No such luck, since now they have eliminated one of the parking garages in order to add valet service. Unfortunately, they did not add any other services and we were faced with the self-park full; consequently we had to load all of our things onto a valet dolly (all self-service) and schlep everything to our room. At $25/day plus the inconvenience, this is definitely not a property we will return to.

I should add that, despite the fact that the hotel has a service elevator, we were faced with the added inconvenience of staff using the passenger elevators. The closet "poles" are actually racks on which they have supplied a number of wooden hangars with the tiny hooks (to deter theft), but the hangars are hung on the rungs of the racks, so a guest has to work past the extra pillows, blankets, etc. in order to get a hangar on/off the rung. Since we had real hangars with us, we hung our things on the wider outer rung of the rack, thereby blocking any chance of closing the closet door. What a travesty!

This morning, I needed to print a document and asked if I could bring my IPad and my own hotspot (I don't use public shared networks) to the business center to print from my email. No, not an option, since it is a wired printer and I would have to either plug in with my own laptop or use their public computers. To add insult to injury, I discovered a Kinko's literally around the corner to get the job done - why couldn't a hotel staffer direct me to Kinkos?

The good news? Since I was having a bad day, I stopped into the lobby Starbuck's for some nourishment and when the server asked me if I was having a good day so far, I simply replied that was not a good question to ask me and that I was not happy with the hotel....he did not charge me to brighten up my day! Wow! Where did he come from?

Except for pleasant housekeepers and a fabulous Starbucks experience, I would try the JW Marriott or the Amway Grand on my next visit to Grand Rapids.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Carrie S, General Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Downtown Grand Rapids Courtyard by Marriott Team, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the Grand Rapids area. I was delighted to read your kind words regarding our pleasant Housekeeping team and fabulous Starbucks experience!

My deepest apologies for the inconveniences you suffered when parking your vehicle and utilizing our business center services. Upon receiving your feedback, I immediately contacted our Corporate IT team to advise them of the printing opportunity in order to look for ways to remedy this for future needs. I am also excited to mention that the renovation within our basement level parking garage is nearly complete and therefore additional self-parking spaces will certainly be available very shortly. We appreciate your patience while we work to improve and maintain our beautiful facilities. Our valet-parking will absolutely still be available as well and they would love to assist with transporting of luggage and materials throughout your stay.

Please feel free to personally contact me at jcutter@courtyardgr.com, when your travels bring you to the Downtown Grand Rapids area again or if you would like discuss your previous visit further. I would love to ensure your next stay is a superior one and regain your trust. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Jenifer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is in the heart of the Grand Rapids business district with views of the city. The lobby also has great views overlooking the Grand River. I am guessing there are rooms with river views as well, but each time I have stayed I get a view of the city. The staff is professional and friendly and the rooms are clean. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance...many of them are excellent and are the go-to places for trendy locals to dine out on a Saturday night. There are also several museums within walking distance.
One word of caution to out-of-towners not familiar with Grand Rapids: it is an extremely safe city, but I would not walk across the river too late at night. There is a park nearby and several highway overpasses that are where some of the homeless sleep. The worst that usually happens is being asked for money, but if you would like to avoid that, stay on the hotel side of the river unless it is daytime. Otherwise, walking is the best way to sight see downtown as parking can get pricey and there a few one way only streets that complicate driving. Even after living in GR, I still get confused finding my way around by car.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I am in Grand Rapids frequently. My usual hotel was booked this trip, so I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. This hotel surprised me! It is very clean, modern, and good for business travelers. The lobby has a lot of seating and allows for unwinding in the Bistro. I love that this is also a Starbucks during the day. My room was clean, well appointed and comfortable. The only reason I did not rate this 5 stars is that my TV would just shut off at random times. This was annoying. Also, the minifridge was loud. I would have unplugged it, but could not easily get to the cord. These are not deal breakers I will stay here again. The staff was polite and helpful, and I could walk anywhere. All good points.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper levels have nice city views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jennifer v
Alexis B, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Downtown Courtyard by Marriott Team, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent business trip to Grand Rapids. It is always a delight to hear from our guests and am happy to hear you not only enjoyed our beautiful property, but our city as well! We love to hear positive comments in regards to our Bistro/Starbucks and could not agree more; it is always nice to unwind after a long day's work and recommend the next time you join us during our daily happy hour from 5-7pm!

Thank you for your feedback regarding our television and in-room refrigerator. I would love to ensure no other guest has to endure these inconveniences, so please feel free to reach out to me at: abaker@courtyardgr.com so I am able to look into the exact guest room you were staying in!

We look forward to serving you soon and wish you a pleasant evening!

Best Regards,
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, clean hotel. Staff was very friendly. Awesome location. We could walk everywhere! I had only 2 complaints. 1 was the a/c in the room was very loud. I have been advised they are working on replacing these! :) 2 was there are no MI beers being served in the hotel bar. It is in "Beer City" , I would expect a few local options in my hotel. All in all a great choice! Would stay there again!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 23 July 2014

For us the hotel's location was perfect, walking distance to several great restaurants, breweries, and attractions. Overall the accommodations were clean and comfortable,as would be expected, and the staff was pleasant. Two things would have bumped this review up a notch. First, the air conditioning unit in the room. It turned on and off loudly nearly every fifteen minutes all night log making it annoyingly difficult to sleep. Had it just stayed on, it may not have been so annoying, but the short and loud on/off cycle was difficult to ignore. Second, is the cost for guest parking -- $19/$16 per day valet/self. As someone already paying to stay as a guest in the hotel, I would expect the cost of parking to be included, or at least significantly discounted. These two things aside though, this location did work out perfectly for our weekend get away.

One additional thing. The pool was closed for repairs while we were there (hot tub was open). They did make us aware of this in advance. Just know if that's important to you and you're going soon, you may want to ask.

Room Tip: I recommend asking if there are rooms available with less AC noise, also away from other guests if y...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neovox
Carrie S, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Downtown Courtyard by Marriott, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Grand Rapids! We are delighted to hear that your weekend getaway with us was enjoyable and that you were able to explore our beautiful city!

We sincerely apologize for the level of noise you encountered from your air-conditioning unit and have immediately reached out to our Engineering Team to ensure this issue is corrected. In regards to our parking price; we as a downtown property are challenged with limited parking, and want to ensure we always have parking available for all guests, therefore a minimal fee has been implemented.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our excellent staff and facility. We are excited to announce that our pool is re-opened as of July 22nd and all guests are now able to relax and cool down during these warm summer days!

We look forward to serving you again soon!

At your service,
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

In an effort to just "get away" for the night, we decided to get a hotel room and pretend we were on Vacation. Excellent choice with the Downtown Courtyard Marriott.

From the time Valet took the car to when we got back in it, the staff was very friendly and professional. Not only treating us as "customers" but more as a "guest".

Front desk staff was very informative and helpful - even at 2 am when we returned for the evening. They advised us where the Bistro was, when it was open, and even offered us restaurant choices when we were looking for a new place to try for dinner. We had a room on the 6th floor that was just what was needed to make the get-away perfect. Two double beds were very comfortable and room was spotless.

Since we were in full Vacation mode, we did Valet parking for the first time ever at a hotel. Staff was there when we pulled in and directed us on how to proceed and retrieve our car when we needed it. Once again, very friendly and everything went as smoothly as expected.

We didn't use the spa/pool or have breakfast but everything else I can say was excellent. Next time we need an in-town get-away, it will definitely be here. Worth the money for the recharge we needed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 28 June 2014

While there are more expensive options in downtown Grand Rapids, the Courtyard offers very comfortable rooms in a convenient location. While walking on street level or using the elevated walkway, you are close to where you may need to be. Parking is easy in, easy out if you need to drive. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business