“Perfect Hotel Stay!!!”

Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Michigan
“Perfect Hotel Stay!!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a wonderful weekend in Grand Rapids at the Courtyard. We were greeted at the front desk by a very sweet clerk (I think her name was Jaclyn). Alexis helped to make our anniversary celebration very nice by accommodating our room request. The breakfast was good. The hot tub had way too much chlorine. We loved the hotel and would stay again. Thank you to all of the staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Carrie S, General Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire Courtyard Team, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the Downtown Grand Rapids area. Thank you as well for taking the time to acknowledge our fantastic team along with our wonderful breakfast offerings. I appreciate your feedback regarding the hot tub area as well, I will be sure to inspect and resolve this promptly. We are absolutely delighted that we had the opportunity to celebrate your special occasion with you. We certainly look forward to serving you again in the near future and want to wish you a very Happy Anniversary! Warm Regards, Jenifer Cutter-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great location , great staff , great rooms. Looking for a relaxing and tranquil experience we we headed to the pool area and that's where the disappointment began. When you enter the pool area you'll notice a mismatch of plants between fake plants that they look like they got from a yard sale and live plants that are near death. The white lining in the hot tubs looks like it has not been cleaned in quite a while and the foam floating in the hot tub we decided to pass on that, The pool itself is fine but the gray lining surrounding the pool looks like it need to be cleaned or replaced. The men's locker room does offer steam room which smells like it hasn't been cleaned in a while , mold growing on the wall where the water comes out ,on the dial setting someone wrote only works on setting two and four and very dirty and unclean locker room, My wife said the women's offered a sauna but the locker room was outdated. Managements need to take a good look at this area and if they're going to offer a pool and spa area it should batch the rest of the hotel . The only reason for my low rating was in fact at the pool ,spa and locker room area unclean ,outdated and rundown that it really needs immediate attention to match the rest of your property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony K
Dear Tony,

On behalf of the Downtown Grand Rapids Courtyard by Marriott Team, I would like to thank you for spending your recent visit to the Grand Rapids area with us. I was delighted to read your kind words regarding our great location, staff and guest rooms!

We pride ourselves on not only our level of service and accommodations but also the cleanliness of our public areas and amenities. Upon reading your feedback, I immediately touched base with our Property Manager who oversees the Pool/Fitness Center area that our guests have access to. I have looked into the situation and assure you we are taking immediate corrective steps to improve upon these areas. Again we certainly appreciate you alerting our team as it assists us in our constant strive for perfection!

Please feel free to personally contact me at jcutter@courtyardgr.com, when your travels bring you to the Downtown area again or if you would like to discuss your previous visit further. I would love to ensure your next stay is a superior one and regain your trust in our entire facility! We look forward to serving you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Jenifer
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just spent 6 days at the Grand Rapids Courtyard for a conference. The hotel is nice, has a modern lobby, a good bistro for breakfast, and a nice indoor pool with outdoor sportsplex on the roof. The pool was great for the kids, although I thought the hot tub was a bit too chlorinated, but maybe I'm just not used to it. The staff were all very pleasant, and I would have rated my experience highly except for one unfortunate instance.. .

Our room was nicely furnished, although you could tell it had been a while since it was last refurbished, and it was showing its age. Still, I wasn't too worried about letting the kids play with toys on the floor. Until my daughter found a used condom and part of a brownie just at the bedskirt on the third day. Missing some small things are excusable since the cleaning staff have to move very quickly to turn the room over between guests. However, a large white soggy latex condom is a bit of an oversight. After that our confidence in the establishment was lost.

Room Tip: I'll be looking my room over before settling in next time.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ftirduke
Alexis B, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Downtown Courtyard by Marriott Team, I would like to thank you for spending your recent visit to Grand Rapids with us. I appreciate your kind words in regards to our fantastic staff, Bistro restaurant and hotel amenities!

We pride ourselves on not only our level of service but the cleanliness of our rooms. Your comments regarding your guest room disappoint me and I want to sincerely apologize on behalf of our team. I have looked into the situation and assure you we have taken immediate corrective action to prevent this from happening again, and appreciate you alerting our team!

Please feel free to personally contact me at abaker@courtyardgr.com, should your travels bring you to the Downtown area, as I would love to ensure your next stay is a superior one! We look forward to serving you again soon!

Best Regards,

Alexis
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have stayed at this property numerous times in the past, and have usually enjoyed the additional amenities afforded to the Silver Elite members. This time we were on a multi-week trip and planned to leave most of our clothes (on hangars) in the car, and to bring in only what we needed one day at a time. No such luck, since now they have eliminated one of the parking garages in order to add valet service. Unfortunately, they did not add any other services and we were faced with the self-park full; consequently we had to load all of our things onto a valet dolly (all self-service) and schlep everything to our room. At $25/day plus the inconvenience, this is definitely not a property we will return to.

I should add that, despite the fact that the hotel has a service elevator, we were faced with the added inconvenience of staff using the passenger elevators. The closet "poles" are actually racks on which they have supplied a number of wooden hangars with the tiny hooks (to deter theft), but the hangars are hung on the rungs of the racks, so a guest has to work past the extra pillows, blankets, etc. in order to get a hangar on/off the rung. Since we had real hangars with us, we hung our things on the wider outer rung of the rack, thereby blocking any chance of closing the closet door. What a travesty!

This morning, I needed to print a document and asked if I could bring my IPad and my own hotspot (I don't use public shared networks) to the business center to print from my email. No, not an option, since it is a wired printer and I would have to either plug in with my own laptop or use their public computers. To add insult to injury, I discovered a Kinko's literally around the corner to get the job done - why couldn't a hotel staffer direct me to Kinkos?

The good news? Since I was having a bad day, I stopped into the lobby Starbuck's for some nourishment and when the server asked me if I was having a good day so far, I simply replied that was not a good question to ask me and that I was not happy with the hotel....he did not charge me to brighten up my day! Wow! Where did he come from?

Except for pleasant housekeepers and a fabulous Starbucks experience, I would try the JW Marriott or the Amway Grand on my next visit to Grand Rapids.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Downtown Grand Rapids Courtyard by Marriott Team, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the Grand Rapids area. I was delighted to read your kind words regarding our pleasant Housekeeping team and fabulous Starbucks experience!

My deepest apologies for the inconveniences you suffered when parking your vehicle and utilizing our business center services. Upon receiving your feedback, I immediately contacted our Corporate IT team to advise them of the printing opportunity in order to look for ways to remedy this for future needs. I am also excited to mention that the renovation within our basement level parking garage is nearly complete and therefore additional self-parking spaces will certainly be available very shortly. We appreciate your patience while we work to improve and maintain our beautiful facilities. Our valet-parking will absolutely still be available as well and they would love to assist with transporting of luggage and materials throughout your stay.

Please feel free to personally contact me at jcutter@courtyardgr.com, when your travels bring you to the Downtown Grand Rapids area again or if you would like discuss your previous visit further. I would love to ensure your next stay is a superior one and regain your trust. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Jenifer
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is in the heart of the Grand Rapids business district with views of the city. The lobby also has great views overlooking the Grand River. I am guessing there are rooms with river views as well, but each time I have stayed I get a view of the city. The staff is professional and friendly and the rooms are clean. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance...many of them are excellent and are the go-to places for trendy locals to dine out on a Saturday night. There are also several museums within walking distance.
One word of caution to out-of-towners not familiar with Grand Rapids: it is an extremely safe city, but I would not walk across the river too late at night. There is a park nearby and several highway overpasses that are where some of the homeless sleep. The worst that usually happens is being asked for money, but if you would like to avoid that, stay on the hotel side of the river unless it is daytime. Otherwise, walking is the best way to sight see downtown as parking can get pricey and there a few one way only streets that complicate driving. Even after living in GR, I still get confused finding my way around by car.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I am in Grand Rapids frequently. My usual hotel was booked this trip, so I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. This hotel surprised me! It is very clean, modern, and good for business travelers. The lobby has a lot of seating and allows for unwinding in the Bistro. I love that this is also a Starbucks during the day. My room was clean, well appointed and comfortable. The only reason I did not rate this 5 stars is that my TV would just shut off at random times. This was annoying. Also, the minifridge was loud. I would have unplugged it, but could not easily get to the cord. These are not deal breakers I will stay here again. The staff was polite and helpful, and I could walk anywhere. All good points.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper levels have nice city views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jennifer v
Alexis B, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Downtown Courtyard by Marriott Team, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent business trip to Grand Rapids. It is always a delight to hear from our guests and am happy to hear you not only enjoyed our beautiful property, but our city as well! We love to hear positive comments in regards to our Bistro/Starbucks and could not agree more; it is always nice to unwind after a long day's work and recommend the next time you join us during our daily happy hour from 5-7pm!

Thank you for your feedback regarding our television and in-room refrigerator. I would love to ensure no other guest has to endure these inconveniences, so please feel free to reach out to me at: abaker@courtyardgr.com so I am able to look into the exact guest room you were staying in!

We look forward to serving you soon and wish you a pleasant evening!

Best Regards,
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, clean hotel. Staff was very friendly. Awesome location. We could walk everywhere! I had only 2 complaints. 1 was the a/c in the room was very loud. I have been advised they are working on replacing these! :) 2 was there are no MI beers being served in the hotel bar. It is in "Beer City" , I would expect a few local options in my hotel. All in all a great choice! Would stay there again!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple