“Great experience! ”

Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Windsor, Canada
“Great experience! ”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend for our anniversary trip to Grand Rapids and it was great! Our room was huge and clean with a whole wall of windows!!! Very comfortable bed. The staff gave a us hand written card for our anniversary along with 2 entrees and drinks! It was so nice and unexpected! We used the pool and gym which were very clean! It was in a great location. With-in walking distance to all the brew pubs and restaurants downtown! Great experience! We will defiantly go back :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Alexis B, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Christine L.,

On behalf of our entire team, I could not be happier to hear that your stay with us was a superior one! It sounds as though your Anniversary getaway was a success and I am honored that you chose our city as your destination. We pride ourselves on the level of customer service we provide for our guests and I will be sure to pass along your stellar review to our team! Please feel free to reach out to me the next time your travels bring you to our area, as I would love to ensure once again that you have an excellent stay! Happy Anniversary and best wishes for many years to come!

Warm Regards,

Alexis B.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Room was dirty. Mold in bathroom shower. Maid didn't even clean out the fridge from probably 3-5 weeks prior when some guest left a "leftover" sandwich in it that had literally turned into a "science project" due to how long it had been there. Worst experience EVER in 35 years of traveling. It's not worth a single star. Stay away! Management (Alexis) needs SERIOUS customer service training. She has no clue.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Carrie S, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Carx123,

Thank you for staying with us for your visit to the city, and please accept my apologies for your experience. We take your feedback seriously and will use it to continually improve our execution in cleanliness and customer service, as the experience you are describing is far below our standards. Thank you again for choosing us and sharing your review.

At your service,

Carrie S
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

After reserving the room on Priceline and it stating the hotel was pet friendly,after checking In and returning from dinner, we were literally accosted in the elevator with the front desk attendant sticking her foot in the door and yelling at us that we have a dog. Our dog is a 4 lb maltese...A big scene was made right there in the lobby elevator on the ground floor. We were told we needed to leave... And that we would be fined $250...per night, we had already prepaid for the room and after taking dog to a friends for the night we checked out in the morning. We had gone to dinner with said dog and the entire city is not dog friendly, we had to beg a restaurant owner to sit on the patio for dinner, and he only agreed if we tied the dog up outside the gate....our 4 lb dog...so word to anyone traveling with pets, stay away from Grand Rapids.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Barb K
Dear Barb K,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your visit to Grand Rapids, and I apologize for your disappointment with your experience with us. We strive to have the highest of standards in both service and facilities for our guests, and wish we could have provided you with an outstanding experience. Since it is indeed our policy not to host pets, we recommend the Residence Inn West and Residence Inn Airport as other Marriott options in Grand Rapids that are pet friendly.

At your service,

Carrie S
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Since our favorite hotel, the Amway, was fully booked, we stayed here overnight. It was okay, but no 'wow' factors.
The beds were comfy, but I felt short-sheeted. The room was quite warm and the AC was very loud. So loud I hesitated turning the thermostat cooler because it would go on more.
We used room service for dinner. That was fine.
The breakfast was good, albeit a bit slow.
Liked having the 24-hour market. Came in handy when daughter realized she forgot to pack toothbrush.
My tip to travelers: try to avoid the room near the elevator. Even with our loud AC, I could hear everyone getting on and off.

• Stayed August 2014
Alexis B, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to give us valuable feedback regarding our guest rooms! We are happy to hear you treated yourself to Room Service during your stay, as it is always fun to dine in! We would love to have our Engineering Team look into your guest room HVAC unit, however, will need to know which room you stayed in. Please feel free to reach out to guestservices@courtyardgr.com. We look forward to serving you the next time your travels bring you to Grand Rapids!

Best Regards,
Michigan
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a wonderful weekend in Grand Rapids at the Courtyard. We were greeted at the front desk by a very sweet clerk (I think her name was Jaclyn). Alexis helped to make our anniversary celebration very nice by accommodating our room request. The breakfast was good. The hot tub had way too much chlorine. We loved the hotel and would stay again. Thank you to all of the staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Carrie S, General Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire Courtyard Team, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the Downtown Grand Rapids area. Thank you as well for taking the time to acknowledge our fantastic team along with our wonderful breakfast offerings. I appreciate your feedback regarding the hot tub area as well, I will be sure to inspect and resolve this promptly. We are absolutely delighted that we had the opportunity to celebrate your special occasion with you. We certainly look forward to serving you again in the near future and want to wish you a very Happy Anniversary! Warm Regards, Jenifer Cutter-General Manager
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great location , great staff , great rooms. Looking for a relaxing and tranquil experience we we headed to the pool area and that's where the disappointment began. When you enter the pool area you'll notice a mismatch of plants between fake plants that they look like they got from a yard sale and live plants that are near death. The white lining in the hot tubs looks like it has not been cleaned in quite a while and the foam floating in the hot tub we decided to pass on that, The pool itself is fine but the gray lining surrounding the pool looks like it need to be cleaned or replaced. The men's locker room does offer steam room which smells like it hasn't been cleaned in a while , mold growing on the wall where the water comes out ,on the dial setting someone wrote only works on setting two and four and very dirty and unclean locker room, My wife said the women's offered a sauna but the locker room was outdated. Managements need to take a good look at this area and if they're going to offer a pool and spa area it should batch the rest of the hotel . The only reason for my low rating was in fact at the pool ,spa and locker room area unclean ,outdated and rundown that it really needs immediate attention to match the rest of your property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony K
Dear Tony,

On behalf of the Downtown Grand Rapids Courtyard by Marriott Team, I would like to thank you for spending your recent visit to the Grand Rapids area with us. I was delighted to read your kind words regarding our great location, staff and guest rooms!

We pride ourselves on not only our level of service and accommodations but also the cleanliness of our public areas and amenities. Upon reading your feedback, I immediately touched base with our Property Manager who oversees the Pool/Fitness Center area that our guests have access to. I have looked into the situation and assure you we are taking immediate corrective steps to improve upon these areas. Again we certainly appreciate you alerting our team as it assists us in our constant strive for perfection!

Please feel free to personally contact me at jcutter@courtyardgr.com, when your travels bring you to the Downtown area again or if you would like to discuss your previous visit further. I would love to ensure your next stay is a superior one and regain your trust in our entire facility! We look forward to serving you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Jenifer
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just spent 6 days at the Grand Rapids Courtyard for a conference. The hotel is nice, has a modern lobby, a good bistro for breakfast, and a nice indoor pool with outdoor sportsplex on the roof. The pool was great for the kids, although I thought the hot tub was a bit too chlorinated, but maybe I'm just not used to it. The staff were all very pleasant, and I would have rated my experience highly except for one unfortunate instance.. .

Our room was nicely furnished, although you could tell it had been a while since it was last refurbished, and it was showing its age. Still, I wasn't too worried about letting the kids play with toys on the floor. Until my daughter found a used condom and part of a brownie just at the bedskirt on the third day. Missing some small things are excusable since the cleaning staff have to move very quickly to turn the room over between guests. However, a large white soggy latex condom is a bit of an oversight. After that our confidence in the establishment was lost.

Room Tip: I'll be looking my room over before settling in next time.