“Ok room, poor service”

Econo Lodge & Suites
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure if I would recommend this place, but I wouldn't go back here. A worker got mad at me because I didn't know about the pet policy (only "some" rooms allow pets), but that wasn't printed anywhere. I was mildly scolded. Then I was told there were different prices for different weights of dogs, even though the paperwork only had one price. I negotiated it, but for $10, it was stressful. Another worker was annoyed when my wife asked for extra towels. We felt like an annoyance, which made our stay awkward and uncomfortable. Ironically, the guests were more hospitable -- opening the door for me and my baby as I was trying to carry multiple items. I had two truckers open doors for me, but the workers wouldn't even say hello. Odd. The room was good and an amazing price, but near a bar that had live music until midnight.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This place was well run, had friendly efficient staff and was an absolute bargain! We stayed for one night, the room was massive -fridge, microwave, great sitting area with comfy couch and chairs. Spotlessly clean! Would absolutely recommend this place.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loveUllapool
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We had the best experience here. Don't judge the book by it's cover. The staff is friendly, the rooms are well kept and it's quiet which is surprising because there is an airport and a highway right down the street. We arrived late but the staff saw us coming in and came right out to help, we stayed two glorious nights. The room was spacious, there was a fridge and sink/mini kitchen separating a front sitting room with pull out couch and flat screen and the bedroom/bathroom. The breakfast was a typical continental but we expected that and it was great. Sure the decor is a little out dated but because the overall experience of using the hotel, the sleep quality, the quiet, and peacefulness was wonderful it doesn't change my opinion. I highly recommend you stay here. It's relaxing and comforting to know there are still small places like this that value the customer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the restaurant next door, towards the back of the hotel. It's quiet and co...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah J
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Given than my room was about $60 a night, I was not expecting a large suite (separate "living room"). This is a very nice, clean hotel. I'm glad I made a reservation, because it was fully booked when I arrived. Looks like I'm not the only person who likes this place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank froggy123Michigan
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I don't know how this hotel got all the good ratings. When i first stepped in to the front door I can smell cigarette smoke. Then I was woken up at 5am from a constant knocking noise coming from the walls. Probably from the Water pipes due to other guess using the bathrooms all morning. Also the room was outdated. I had a horrible unpleasant stay. I stayed in room 117 so avoid if you have to stay there!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Vandamn
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Local meeting host recommended based on low price.
The suite was nice and quiet unless someone walked.down the hall or on the floor above. Wireless free and strong. Bed good.
Breakfast marginal with few options but free. Coffee was weak.
No exercise room but open space to walk.
Service and room what you expect for the brand.
Advise 2nd floor.room.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

This small hotel is a great spot in an excellent location. The hotel is less than a mile from the highway and 28th st. Just minutes away from everything you need.
The lobby was so beautiful and comfortable. I couldn't get over how clean it was. You could tell it was family run and they take great pride in this hotel. Everyone I met was so friendly and smiled.
The continental breakfast was good, it had all the essentials. Just wish they would have a few more Gluten free options.
Great price if you book online.

I would recommend this very clean hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013