“Very nice stay - recommend it to others”

Econo Lodge & Suites
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have stayed here in the past, this may be my 3rd or 4th time staying here. From my previous stays in the years past, I can say that EconoLodge has been improving alot! The room conditions are excellent! New carpet, new floors, new tvs, new bedding. Breakfast wasnt as expected (hot breakfast but there was enough to fill me up) but I cannot blame EconoLodge, after all the average rating for Econolodge in the world is 2 star hotel. But this EconoLodge is above 2 star, more liek 5 to me! Its a really quiet place and I like it, peaceful and lively. Staff is nice. Room service is excellent!

Room Tip: choose the room in the middle of the hallway
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gina M

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Room smells strongly of smoke. Sheets and curtains are stained. TV does not work. Afraid of what the continental breakfast may be :-(

They do seem to be in the midst of remodeling. Wifi works. There are 2 Tvs in room, one for each bed area, but only one works. There is a large rusty stain on the curtains and dirty looking streaks on the sheets. Beds, fixtures and TVs are old and outdated.

Lobby area seems updated and new.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank CateDf
Reviewed 3 September 2013

As a budget minded traveler when not on vacation, I have stayed at quite a few Econo Lodge's in several different states and this one is BY FAR the best one I have been to. I think that perhaps this used to be an Embassy Suites or something? The rate was low though, in line with the other Econo Lodge motels I have stay at perviously.

My room had a living room with a pull-out sofa and a bedroom with a very comfortable queen size bed. (I doubt the pullout was as comfortable, but my 3 1/2 year old didn't mind - she loved having her "own room".) There was a TV in each room. The room had a nice new refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom was nice.

The staff (I think it's a family and perhaps they live on site?) was very, very friendly to me every time I saw them. Also, I arrived very early, as my child was having a temper tantrum and I needed to get her out of the car after a long drive for a little bit. They gave me a room so she could go eat and rest for a little bit about 4 hours before my check-in time. Very nice!

The breakfast was really exceptional for Econo Lodge! 3 types of cereal, fruit, waffles, yogurt, 2 types of donuts and 4 or 5 different types of pastries, milk, juice, coffee, etc. Nice eating area. Everything was very clean.

There are only 2 drawbacks to the whole place. There is no pool, but I was fine with that with our very short stay and i the room, the hairdryer was out by the 2nd sink insetad of in the bathroom. Not a huge deal, due to an early flight, I showered the night before and the hairdyer kept my daughter up later than I would have liked.

Overall though, an excellent motel and value. Close to the airport, shopping and restaurants (right off 28th Street) and I highly recommend. Will stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: Given the choice, I would ask for a 2nd floor room so you won't hear the person above you. But...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Denvergal1234
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed here for my business trip. I made a reservation direct to hotel and he gave me a great price, when I checked in the man in front desk gave me a very good service , very nice and clean room,comfortable bed, I have a quite sleep and breakfast is also good. Will stay here again when I had a trip at Grand Rapids.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Don L
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure if I would recommend this place, but I wouldn't go back here. A worker got mad at me because I didn't know about the pet policy (only "some" rooms allow pets), but that wasn't printed anywhere. I was mildly scolded. Then I was told there were different prices for different weights of dogs, even though the paperwork only had one price. I negotiated it, but for $10, it was stressful. Another worker was annoyed when my wife asked for extra towels. We felt like an annoyance, which made our stay awkward and uncomfortable. Ironically, the guests were more hospitable -- opening the door for me and my baby as I was trying to carry multiple items. I had two truckers open doors for me, but the workers wouldn't even say hello. Odd. The room was good and an amazing price, but near a bar that had live music until midnight.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This place was well run, had friendly efficient staff and was an absolute bargain! We stayed for one night, the room was massive -fridge, microwave, great sitting area with comfy couch and chairs. Spotlessly clean! Would absolutely recommend this place.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loveUllapool
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We had the best experience here. Don't judge the book by it's cover. The staff is friendly, the rooms are well kept and it's quiet which is surprising because there is an airport and a highway right down the street. We arrived late but the staff saw us coming in and came right out to help, we stayed two glorious nights. The room was spacious, there was a fridge and sink/mini kitchen separating a front sitting room with pull out couch and flat screen and the bedroom/bathroom. The breakfast was a typical continental but we expected that and it was great. Sure the decor is a little out dated but because the overall experience of using the hotel, the sleep quality, the quiet, and peacefulness was wonderful it doesn't change my opinion. I highly recommend you stay here. It's relaxing and comforting to know there are still small places like this that value the customer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the restaurant next door, towards the back of the hotel. It's quiet and co...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple