“Not what is advertised”

Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Not what is advertised”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night and it was not at all what we expected. The staff is fine (thought we did run into some language barriers) but the building and rooms leave a lot to be desired. The decor is stuck in the 80s, even thought it says it has been remodeled. The first thing I noticed when we got outside our room is that the wood molding on the door was wearing off. When we opened the door we immediately regretted making a reservation as the smell of stale smoke overwhelmed us. All of our clothes smell like the room now. We would have gone to another hotel had they not all been sold out. The light in the entryway was burned out. Everything was worn and a litle dirty. There was no fan in the bathroom. As our room was on the end, we could hear doors slamming all night long from people coming and going at all hours. Also, make sure to note that it has an outdoor pool, not an indoor one. Not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jlllzhed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bath, Michigan
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I was in Gramd Rapids for my grandson's high school football game. It was late, I was tired and I stopped at one hotel which was full and was told I would not be able to get a room on the entire 28th street corridor. I saw the Clarion and stopped in just to see if there was a possibility that the informattion I received was wrong. I was met with a beautiful smile from Front Desk Clerk Sarah Bowman who made me feel like I was the only guest in the hotel. Ms. Bowman not only found me a room, I got a great rate and an upgrade. Ms. Bowman has a great attitude, is very efficient and relates to each individual guest like they are the only guest in the hotel. She appears to have great enthusiasm for her job and her exemplary skills and abilities are only exceeded professionalism. Ms Bowman is a credit to Clarion and herself. I would stay at this hotel again as their personnel are exceptional...especially Ms. Bowman.....Bill Howe, Bath, MI

Room Tip: They are near the airport and have a shuttle.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Moret-sur-Loing, France
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I stayed here as a last minute booking with an online website, and had generally good reviews. I have to say that most of what's written is true.

Here's the highs/lows of this property:

Pros:
1. Good location for travelers who need to be close to the airport.
2. Many options for food around.
3. Rooms are very spacious for its price and range.
4. Love the bed.

Cons:
1. The internet is patchy in the rooms and don't reach upto the desk, which might be important when you have to do some work.
2. There is this faint smell of dried water on the hallways of the second floor. You'll get used to it.
3. Breakfast is so-so.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I have stayed at this hotel several times. The hotel is always clean and comfortable with great work areas plus a small business center.

I have stayed in every type of room from a 2 room suite to room with just a double bed. But they are always very clean and well-kept.

If you are traveling for pleasure or business, this would be an excellent choice!

Room Tip: If internet service is important please let the front desk know so that can get you in a room!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
mich
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I stay here regularly for business. It's close to the I-96 28th street exit. Sarah is at the front desk (Hi Sarah) and checks me in quickly. Most rooms are fine.

There is one room- on the second floor, about fourth from the west end, north side, that had a dented door frame. It would be nice if they repaired that dented door frame. (hint hint). I have been assigned that room several times.

Breakfast is ok- not great. Note to hotel- buy a loaf of bread so people can make toast in the morning.

Room is comfortable. Price is reasonable. I will stay there again. And again. And again. I'm a platinum member, so why not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Onekama, Michigan
Reviewed 25 September 2011

After a terrible night at the days inn and sweets, we arrived here on a whim. Could not have been happier! The prices were amazing, the rooms were immaculate, and the service went above and beyond. We arrived to the front desk and they had a bag of treats and drinks ready for our children (we had called and told them before hand what had happened at other hotel). We got to our room and it was wonderful. The rooms were large and comfortable. There is nothing bad to say what so ever about this place. Sarah at the front desk is one of the most sweet and caring persons i have met. Especially at a hotel. She made our stay feel like home. Everyone there seemed to be friendly, and there to make the guests happy and comfortable. We will be staying here anytime we are in the Grand Rapids area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The most outstanding setting and services for the price we've ever experienced. Two full baths, separate living area that would accommodate family, and private bedroom and bath. Beautiful, spotless, and courteous and respectful service.

Microwave and refrigerator and separate TV in bedroom and living areas.

We will definitely visit Clarion Suites again.

Room Tip: A Choice Hotel - quick simple reservationsand room selection