“Great Location-Totally Disgusting hotel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Pingree Grove, Illinois, United States
“Great Location-Totally Disgusting hotel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I only stayed here because it was recommended for a work trip I was scheduled for and was going to provide a shuttle to the office I was working from. The initial impression was below average. The front desk person was sort of friendly when I checked in. I booked the room using a business account and she couldnt process it that way so I paid out of pocket.. Which was fine because I would be reimbursed from my company. She said "I'm not going to jail because you didn't book it correctly. That's on you." Ok...? I didn't even argue with her about it in the first place for her to say that to me. The hotel was dirty. The carpets were covered in powder or dust. It was hard to tell. The pool had scum and hair floating around in it. The walls were paper thin. There was stains on the walls in my room. It looked like blood. My sheets were stained as well. It looked as though they tried to update with paint and decor, but there was plastered areas on the walls that you could see the imperfections and it looked dirty in general. Also the shuttle driver was rude, and a terrible driver. He almost got into an accident because he was going to run a red light and at the last minute slammed on the brakes and everyone in the van went flying. He also didnt pick us up and we had to have someone from the location we were at drive us back to the hotel- both days. When we gave the front desk person our feedback we were not apologized to. We were told that the driver doesnt speak english and thats why he didnt say good morning or ask where we had to go. This location will not be utilized again for a work trip.- per our company.

Room Tip: Top floor so you dont hear everyone walking above you.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Westmont, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

This is a decent hotel, big comfortable bed, but unless you enjoy being woken up at 6 am by barking dogs that won't quiet down after repeated calls to the front desk, I wouldn't book a room at this place. I talked to the manager after he got in later in the day, and he said it was a pet-friendly hotel...apparently at the expense of being people-friendly. Would NOT stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

After staying here, it seems that many of the other reviewers are spot-on in their assessment about housekeeping. I'll take it a step farther and say that even though it's an older facility and the carpeting, walls and other fixtures are worn, a little more elbow grease and attention to housekeeping would improve the guest experience. There have been some updates to the room, and the bedding was clean and extremely comfortable (pillows and bed coverings). The shower head (Water-Pik) had extremely good water pressure and was one of the bigger showers we've had compared to other chains. New paint covered some of the worn spots and patching on the walls and there was a newer flat-screen TV (lower quality resolution than what we have at home but that didn't matter really). The breakfast was plentiful, though there is limited seating during the busy time and it seemed to be overwhelming for the staff member to keep up. The early morning desk clerk wasn't particularly cheerful (as stated in another review), but the young woman on staff at check-in and check-out was very pleasant and helpful. The swimming pool was dirty and the hot tub didn't work 100 percent - two things that really need to be in top working order for a hotel. It's doubtful we will return for a future stay, but if the management decides to put more emphasis on housekeeping - dusting, vacuuming (it's important to keep heavy traffic areas taken care of), cleaning the bathrooms (even in the corners) - then it has the potential to become a much better destination. The price is good, but when it's not clean it doesn't make it a good buy.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the second floor close to the stairs in case there is not sufficient breakfast seatin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Got in later then we planned, check in was normal,hotel seems to have been recently renovated and was in good shape .Hotel is in a commercial/retail area with a lot of car dealerships it is a bit hard to find so make sure you have a gps or printed directions, as we got in late we did not use pool or hot tub so I can't comment on them .Overall a good choice for a night or more.

• Stayed September 2013
Battle Creek, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

1st floor carpeting is BADLY worn & FILTHY! Shower floor slopes & is VERY slippery. Our showerdoor had mold, as did several places in pool/hot tub area. Pool & hot tub area have missing & cracked tiles. Hot tub does NOT shut off. Upon arrival, front desk person, dfritz.mi016, was very courteous, jovial and polite. The 6am desk person (trusers and shirt could have wash some soap & water and pressing) was TOTALLY opposite. Never greeted 1 person as they passed the desk, nor did he speak with 'A' individual when he came into breakfast area to make coffee (the mini trash can on coffee stand was still FULL from YESTERDAYS breakfast crowd, nor was the popcorn machine clean).

Room Tip: Room was very clean, the bed was VERY comfortable. Everything worked. Replace carpeting, remove mold...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Traverse City, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

When we first got there the hotel looked nice. We got our room amd when i went in the bathroom there was a pair of granny panties hanging on the wall. So we were moved our second room had hair in the shower. Im sorry but this hotel does NOT rate high on cleaness in my books. Then we went down to the pool and my husband realized he grabbed our debit card instead of our room key. I waited at the front desk for about 10 mins and then another guest let us in the pool so my husband went out there to wait. He waited for another 10 minutes before he realized she was sitting in back and tried calling her out. Very unprofessional, there were other guess who came there but decided not to wait. The only good thing about this hotel besides its location is the younger guy who checked us in on aug 31 and he also did the housekeepings job and grabbed the panties. I think they need new housekeepers

• Stayed August 2013
Grand Rapids
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Staff very friendly and room is clean & updated. The bathroom was kind of weird with a pocket door. The complimentary breakfast was a good plus to the room. Good value. I didn't like that I was overcharged by Easy to Book though. Charged me more than the hotel would have.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Cameron C, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
We would like to thank you for your recent stay and review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and the complimentary breakfast!