Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Chicago, IL
“Comfortable Rooms”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I recently spent a week at this hotel while in the area for business and would recommend it to others.

The room I had was very comfortable, and consisted of a sitting room with sofa and work desk, a washroom, kitchenette area and bedroom. The heat worked well, and the refrigerator and microwave were nice features. The hot water in the shower was abundant.

The breakfast was always good and plentiful, but having stayed for so many days I did get a bit tired of the same two breakfast menus. Because of this, one day I skipped the free breakfast and went out to eat for a bit of variety. Despite the lack of variety from day to day, the food quality and freshness was very good. Although the seating was right in the lobby, making it cold when people were coming and going, there was never a problem finding a seat and the breakfast host was great--keeping everything clean and replenished.

I didn't experience any 'problems' while there, but did have a few hiccups. Due to my specific circumstances, I was unable to book online and had to call the property. The person with whom I booked was not pleasant and seemed unfamiliar with the booking system. No big deal overall, but it didn't really give a good first impression.

One of the days housekeeping didn't come at all. I left the room around 8 for work and returned around 4 to find it exactly how I had left it. To be clear, I did NOT leave my do not disturb sign out. On another day I kept a similar schedule and returned to find that housekeeping had been there, but did not make the bed or replenish the coffee supplies. Again, not a huge problem, but unfortunate nonetheless.

The area is fine for business purposes. Although it's a hike to 'downtown,' the hotel is very near all sorts of restaurants, retail and major roads.The fitness facility was basic but functional, and the pool/hot tub area was great, if underutilized.

I had a difficult time finding the hotel the first time, given it was behind a Meijer's. Although it is right off the expressway, I didn't notice any 'road' noise. Thankfully, though, I always travel with a white noise machine and needed it to muffle the hallway noise at night. The other guests weren't overly noisy, but you could easily hear almost everything between the rooms and from the hallway.

Overall, I'd choose this property again if being right downtown wasn't important to me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Monika H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Your comments were received and reviewed with our goal of striving to have our team perform at its peak performance. While there is never an excuse for not delivering exceptional service, we take a great deal of pride in our hotel. When we do not meet or exceed your expectations we certainly appreciate our guests letting us know. Thank you for giving us the opportunity for improvement.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 58 times over the last few years. I keep coming back. There is a number of reasons.

First. Check in is always fast and easy. The rooms are suites and that makes them larger. I always get a very clean and comfortable room. The room has a safe, small frig and micro wave. Two TV's and a desk that I can work at.

But the most important asset any company can have is the people that work for them. Everyone here is very nice and if I ever need anything or help with something, they are always quick to help.

I have gotten to know a few of the people who work here. Some have moved on but have been replaced by equally nice people. I am going to give a shout out for Kira Edwards. She works at the front desk. She is "The Best". Always nice with a beautiful smile as she greets you when you check in. I really hope the Holiday Inn Express realizes the wonderful asset they have in here. She is a GREAT employee.

I hope to stay here another 58 times. I will continue to return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JeffreyTravel
Thank you for your review JeffreyTravel. We do like hearing how we are doing. Your praise of my staff has been passed on to them. Reviews help shape what guest needs are and where we can improve a well as continue with what works! We look forward to having you come again soon.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I booked the big suite at this hotel for my son's 3rd birthday party a full MONTH in advance. He had his 1st birthday at this location and it was so spacious, thats what brought me back. Everything was fine, I recieved a email a few days before the actual check in date "Everything you will need for you stay" so I was certain was sure that everything would be perfect. The day before check in I call to make sure everything is a go and to request a early check-in. The woman I spoke to granted me early check in and told me we were all good. My family arrives on our check in date (3 hours before my son's birthday party!) only to be told that the room I reserved a MONTH before is occupied and has been for almost 2 MONTHS!!!! Needless to say I was not happy. I sent out invites that had this place as the location AND there was family coming in from out of town that now had no where to go for a birthday party. I recieved no apology, no alternative to the problem THEY created...nothing. I emailed to manager several times and called several times and recieved no response. It makes me mad I ever gave them any of my money before. Such a sorry excuse for a businesss. Also they make it impossible to post reviews on their own website. My guess is that they are trying to hide the ugly truth about the unprofessional bs that goes on there. I definitely DO NOT recommend this as a choice to anyone who values customer service because these ppl have NONE!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NeicyB
Monika H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. We are disappointed that your stay was not to your expectations. Please contact me so we can discuss your stay further.
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The WORST experience I have ever had while staying a hotel. Talk about lack of accountability and lack of customer service skills. I stayed at this hotel for just one day when I checked in at 3 pm and changed out of my clothes to go to a wedding. I came back to the hotel at midnight to checkout and leave however I could not locate my jeans. Seeing as how there had been no activity or guests in my room it was clear someone from housekeeping had either picked them up in the sheets by mistake or had picked them up intentionally as much as I didn't want to believe that. I checked and re-checked every corner of the hotel room and they were nowhere to be found. Since I was in a rush I had to leave the hotel anyway and was told by the guy at the front desk to check in tomorrow with housekeeping. I called back the following morning to check in with the front desk person Kira and housekeeping only to be informed that the jeans were definitely not in the room. I was offered no help, no solution, nothing at all. Just a cold response that they were not there. When I demanded to talk to someone who could offer some sort of compensation,solution or help I was told noone was on site and I had to talk to the general manager the next day. I explained I still had friends who were at the hotel who could pick up the jeans for me if found and could bring it back to Chicago with them. The front desk and housekeeping insisted the jeans were not there. Then I demand to talk to the housekeeping supervisor who said she would check with laundry to see if they had turned up (not sure why they didn't do this earlier given my complain about missing jeans??!?!?) and she came back after a while and said she had found them and that they were stuck under the TV stand in the room. Two things to note here: They had told me they checked the room and it wasnt there this morning. So how did it magically turn up stuck under the TV stand? And if it truly was there, shouldn't they have checked better that morning before telling me they werent there?? Secondly, they put me in an inconvenient place by not being thorough enough with their check and in the meantime my friends had all left the hotel already and I had no option but to have them ship it. Instead of offering to cover for their sloppy services by offering to cover the charges for shipping they asked me for a credit card they could charge it to. When I explained to them that I should not have to cover the charges to pay for shipping because it was THEIR service that was sloppy they said they cant do anything and I'll have to wait to talk to the general manager. I cannot emphasize the absolute lack of customer service skills at the front desk, and the housekeeping supervisor. A complete lack of resonsibility, accountability and willingness to help. I still do not believe the jeans were stuck under the TV stand, I checked the place thoroughly the previous night so they definitely had to have been taken by someone and returned later on. Absolutely horrific experience and they did NOTHING to help out. I have never had this happen at a hotel stay and I'm appalled at the lack of accountability displayed on all ends. Save yourself the hassle and stay at a better place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank vandanalaclair
Pamela M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear vandanalaclair
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and I do apologize that making contact with you within 24 hours was not acceptable. I thought we had resolved this issue to your satisfaction and I deeply regret that I did not meet your expectations.
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I chose Holiday Inn Express near the airport based on good TripAdvisor reviews and the good weekend rate. The hotel is evidently highly used by business travelers during the week, and we found a very reasonable rate on the weekend. The late afternoon/evening front desk staff is courteous and helpful. They made sure to assign us to a quiet room away from the highway and elevator. When we asked the location of a nearby Smokey Bones barbeque restaurant, one of the staff even found us a $5 off coupon for the restaurant -- service beyond our expectation.

The suites are very spacious. The bedroom and sitting area are not separated by walls and door, but they are separated by the kitchenette and bathroom. We liked having a refrigerator, microwave, and sink where we could prepare a light meal one evening. Two TVs are a convenience in the bedroom and sitting area. The room was clean and comfortable, but the entire hotel could use some touchups.

We find it best to eat breakfast early when complimentary breakfasts are provided. Like similar hotels, the seating space is limited. The food and variety of options was good. The only problem was the second morning when no signature cinnamon rolls were available -- huge disappointment.

Our only other disappointment was that our room was not serviced on the second day. Housekeeping staff were just down the hall when we left for our day's activities, but when we returned, we found that the room had not been cleaned. The trash cans were still full, bed was unmade, and no fresh towels left. When I mentioned this at the front desk, they were most apologetic.

We found this hotel to be convenient for our stay in Grand Rapids, and we would consider staying again, especially if maintenance or upgrades are done.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here overnight and had been to this hotel last year as well. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but there are some definite selling points about this hotel. It's in a good location, lots of shopping and restaurants surrounding it and it's only about ten minutes from downtown. The rooms were great for our situation-I was traveling with my two teenage nieces so each of us got our own bed (there is a sofabed in the other room) and a tv in both rooms. There is a microwave, refrigerator, sink and cupboards. The hotel needs some updating in the sense of aesthetic repairs particularly in the bathroom but nothing that was a big deal. I didn't check the pool so I can't review it. Biggest complaint would be the breakfast-the breakfast itself was fine-good variety and included hot food as well. The problem is the location and size of the area. Apparently everyone decided to go at once so there was no seating and you are right in the hotel lobby which is just annoying. Overall this hotel would only be my first choice if I was traveling in a similar situation where we would need to spread out a little.

Room Tip: I will mention that we were on the first floor and I woke up in the middle of the night to the peopl...