“I'm Sorry! Am I distracting you from your phone?”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Grand Haven, Michigan
“I'm Sorry! Am I distracting you from your phone?”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Good stuff:
Really nice rooms. Meijer in the parking lot (if you need anything--out of state folks, I mean ANYTHING). Microwave and fridge in the room. Separate sitting and sleeping rooms, each with TV's.

Negative stuff:
I stay at a lot of hotels, and I have one big pet peeve developing, and it was intensified during this stay. If you work at the front desk, put away your damn cell phone whenever guests are around.

When we checked in, all three front desk clerks had phones out and were discussing something. I clearly interrupted some major issue, although parsing through the news, I can not figure out that that was. The two clerks not interacting with me continued their conversation, and the clerk checking me in (I think the manager on duty?) kept one ear in both conversations.

I went down later to let them know that there were no more towels in the pool area. Again, the entire front desk had phones out and seemed annoyed by the distraction. It is worth noting that they did address that there were no clean towels in the pool.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jay B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Jay B,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Originating from Hawaii and never traveling farther than Nevada, we were nervous about where to stay for 7 nights in non-tourist destination. The staff was very helpful prior to our arrival about the hotel facilities and location from the airport, and pleasant during our stay with recommendations on local eateries and places to visit. The room was clean and spacious enough for 3 adults, especially with the sofa bed in the sitting room. Having two TV's were nice along with a HBO channel. Microwave and mini refrigerator with a bar sink was a nice surprise. Free Wi-Fi was great and even though we didn't partake in the free breakfast, the spread/variety looked good. Having access to the exercise room 24/7 was wonderful! There were a lot of different groups coming in and out of the hotel during our week stay, but it didn't cause any inconvenience. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend the property.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Roxane K
Monika H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. Reading your review about your stay made us all smile. We hope to have you come back to our great city and have you stay with us again! Monika Harris-General Manager
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel is nice. Rooms are large, have a frig and a microwave. The courtyard area by the parking lot out back has basketball hoops and a picnic area with a BBQ. Free Wi-Fi and free breakfast which is the standard HIE breakfast (pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, yogurt, cereal... pretty substantial) The staff at the front desk are all nice and very helpful. The rest of the staff just seemed sad or something. Even when I smiled or spoke to them they barely ever said a word and I never saw any of the housekeeping staff smile even once (and we were here for 4 nights). If you are in the area, this hotel is a good value for the money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank J D
Thank you for staying with us for your extended stay to Grand Rapids and for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I appreciate your honesty regarding hotel staff that you encountered during your stay. If you decide to stay with us again, we hope you will find great changes have been made! Thank you again-Monika Harris, General Manager
Saranac, Michigan
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed there about six months ago and I STILL remember how great it was. Amazing staff and comfortable rooms. Had a clean pool for the kids, and a nice, relaxing whirlpool for the adults. Great Breakfast too. I HIGHLY reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher Rooms have less noise from the A/C.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Hannah B
Seeing your review of our hotel 6 months later is a great compliment! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I did see your mention of the AC noise. If you experienced this, I apologize and wish to find out more about your stay. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience. Thank you again, Monika Harris, General Manager
Polk City, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

First time at an Express and I was pleasantly surprised. Nice clean room and great service. Location is good, although the entry is kind of tricky. The breakfast was good and always ready on time. I had an issue with the safe, but they came up right away and fixed it. Recommend for a short stay. Very nice pool and exercise area as we'll.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review of our hotel. I am pleased we were able to get your issue fixed immediately. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future! Safe travels-Monika Harris, General Manager
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This HOTEL is the best I've ever seen. My Family Traveled 2 Hrs for A DR APP. Unknown to us, WE HAD ANOUTHER APP. THE NEXT MORNING. JOHN not only had rooms nest to each other BUT made sure we had everything From TOOTH BRUCHES to COMBS. THANK YOU JOHN AND THE ENTIRE STAFF!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Monika H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
I am so pleased that we were able to make your experience fantastic. Having appointments and dealing with a stressful day, we are very pleased to know we could make a difference on how it ended! I will pass on your compliments to John, who is invaluable to our hotel (you can see why!) Our entire staff look forward to having you back soon. Monika Harris, General Manager
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Easy and fast check in with Dave, who offered us any room for our 2 day stay. He gave us a room overlooking the woods (ask for an odd number room) instead of the parking lot.

We had a two room suite with a small kitchen: refrigerator, microwave, kitchen sink and counter. The cupboards had sturdy paper plates, napkins and plasticware. Also they will have dish soap if you request it.

The hotel was convient to the expressway and walking distance to Meijer Market (like a Wal Mart and Target combined). Love this store!

The pool was a sad disappointment. As soon as we walked into the indoor pool area, our eyes started to burn. It felt like someone put "burn out" into the pool and did not close it down until it did its job. We tried the pool but it burned our skin. There were some kids in the pool but the parents stayed in the hot tub. The pool was also cloudy, which indicates that it is not good to swim in.

We complained to man who checked us in and he called the manager to let her know. She came in the next day and asked the maintenance man to correct it but it still was not balanced the next day, so we never did enjoy our pool time during our 2 day stay.

I also asked for a refund so we could stay at another hotel with an indoor heated pools but they refused. To be fair, they did offer to transport us to another hotel property they owned, for pool time, but we were not prepared to spend the time or energy to do this.

It is also interesting that they treated me like it was all me and no one else complained so therefore it was not a problem! I watched as two other guests walked into the pool area only to walk right back out again. They also agreed that the pool was not balanced and decided not to use it, but sadly did not bother to tell the management!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a hotel with an indoor pool for your kiddos to have fun, do not use this hote...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel on your recent stay with us. I would like to again apologize regarding your experience with our pool and that we could not meet the standards you expected. We did have the water tested several times during and after your stay to ensure the water and the PH was balanced. We appreciate it when guests bring their concerns to our attention. I will pass on your compliment to John at the front desk for the great check in. Thank you again for your patronage and we do hope you will change your mind and stay with us again. -Monika Harris, General Manager