“Pretty good place for type of hotel- tennis and basketball also”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
virginia
“Pretty good place for type of hotel- tennis and basketball also”
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This hotel surprised me in a good way. First the rooms are suites and that was really nice with a small kitchenette and seperate living area. Lobby has a breakfast buffet which was pleasant though nothing fancy. There is a large grocery store on this block so you could use the kitchenette if you wanted. There is a nice indoor pool. I am very allergic to mold and could not use the pool as I would have if I could have but the lack of ventilation and indoor pool made for a moldy mess. The upstairs exercise room had a few cardio machines and enough room to stretch and move which was nice. Beds were comfortable, seemed new, very clean and had an assortment of pillow styles which was also nice. The room was very clean, not dusty or musty with a window that opened. Out the back window was tennis courts and basketball court which was in use early evening and quiet at night. Pretty good place for the price, and current promotions allow points collectors to grab alot of extra points. Alot of hotels are in this area and so the competiton is good which is good for hotel consumers to find what they are looking for.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Hiexgrmi, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, 15 November 2009
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your July visit with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Grand Rapids Airport. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I am sorry to hear about your allergies and your inability to utilize our indoor pool. It's a great advantage to have an indoor swimming pool during the winter months here in Michigan, and we do our best to exceed standards of cleanliness and keep the chemicals balanced all throughout the year. I would like to thank you for your sincere compliments regarding the rest of your stay and I hope you will continue to choose The InterContinental Hotels Group as your lodging of choice.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Scottville, MI
Reviewed 26 June 2009

While the gps could not find it and Google Maps and Mapquest have it in the wrong place, this property was worth the search. Clean and quiet, friendly staff, a comfy bed and a nice breakfast made this a worthwhile stay. I got a night here through Hotwire and it was really affordable. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Thailand
Reviewed 17 March 2009

This holiday inn express is very nice.
I got a suite room with 2 TVs, minibar, large bathroom, a comfort couch, microwave, refridgerater and secure box.
They even provide paper towel, plastic utensils in case you buy food from somewhere.
Hotel is right next to 28th and I - 196 and also next to Meijer.
Pool looked nice and clean but I didn't have time to try it.
It's just a huge room even for a couple or family.
I stayed at Sleep Inns the night before and for $10 different.
I would rather stay at Holiday Inn for better experience.
Breakfast was okay not great but not bad either.

My friend stayed at Radisson in Downtown GR and it's just a dark tiny room compared to Holiday Inn Airport.

And Free WiFi!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
It is delightful to recieve such a positive review from a guest! Although your stay was a while ago, I wanted to contact you to let you know how much we truly value and appreciate the reviews that our guests take the time to post. I realize what busy lifestyles many of us lead, and am very appreciative that you chose our hotel to share your Grand Rapids experience with. If you are ever in the Great Lakes State again, we would be honored to be a part of your lodging needs.
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Booked this hotel very late in the day for that same night, as I had an emergency flight out of GRR the following morning. Although the $110 rate wasn't bad, I've had much nicer HIX hotels for that money. (I'm not overly complaining, I spend $200-$300/night in NYC, Hong Kong, London, etc).

I arrived close to midnight and left the hotel at 7 the next morning. As a Priority Club Platinum member, I was given an 'upgraded' room that had a full-on Jacuzzi in the room. It looked nice and inviting, but I was too tired and needed sleep. The room itself was clean and comfortable. I skipped the breakfast the next morning, but it appeared to be an average/above average HIX 'free breakfast'. Check in seemed to take FOREVER (compounded because I was so tired and desperate to get to sleep)...But their computer was acting up, I'll forgive them for that.

On the plus side, there was no charge for parking--I left my car there for the 2 days I was gone, and upon my return to GRR, I called the hotel from the plane when we landed, and they were waiting for me when I exited the terminal 10 minutes later. They dropped me right at my car and I was on my way.

I will say it's a stretch to call it an 'Airport Hotel' , as the airport is 10-15 minutes away, and is set behind a Meijer (shopping center)...Seems atypical for a small airport like GRR--when I booked the hotel, I figured it was closer to the airport.

All in all, I'd probably book the same hotel again if the situation presented itself, but in 20-30 air trips a year, this was my first time flying out of GRR--hopefully, will be my last (only because of the 2-hour drive, but United out of Saginaw, Lansing or Detroit wanted $1200 MORE for the last-minute ticket. Worth the drive in that case.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank MichWorldTraveler
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 December 2007

We stayed here a few years ago when it was called Amerisuites and liked it very much. Had forgotten we liked it so much. The suite configuration allows one person to stay up and watch tv late and not disturb the other one. The bathroom and mini-kitchen divide the bedroom area and small sitting room area. Breakfast was very good. I understand the hotel was remodeled in summer 2007. Amenities in room were very nice also.

• Liked — Room configuration
  • Disliked — warmth of room
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crosstchr
ringwood
Reviewed 20 September 2007

Very pleasant staff at this hotel. Clean rooms, standard HIEXPRESS breakfast but weekdays from 5-7 a complimentary small salad bar is offered with ham / turkey / chicken salad/ veggies and cheese. Small excercise area and midsize warm pool and hot tub. Convenient to the main highway and many restaurants with just a quick walk to the Macaroni Grill. There is a Maiers across the lot with food / clothing / pharmacy / household goods, etc. if you need something in a pinch. Downtown Grand Rapids is only a 10-15 minute drive.

• Liked — Friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — no electrical outlets on the walls next to the bed
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank lhs1
Whitmore Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 22 August 2006

Our family stayed two nights at this location which consisted of myself, my wife and our two children aged 3 and 5. We found the staff very pleasant and the property clean and in order. For the price we would rate it above average. The hotel has a good “Hot” breakfast buffet with a wide assortment including; yogurt, hard boiled eggs, sausage, scrambled eggs, fruit, English muffins, danish, muffins, apple & orange juice, coffee, 4 types of cereal, and a make it yourself waffle station. In the afternoon they provide popcorn in the lobby where they have a large screen TV. Our room was clean and appeared to be newly furnished. The fitness center has two treadmills and two elliptical machines, but no weights. The pool and hot tub is typical, although on weekends it can get a bit crowded, the hours of operation for the pool seem to be only a loose guideline. The property is well occupied on the weekends, although there was little or no noise from either the hallway or the exterior. The location is tucked behind and to the side of a large grocery/department store (Meijer), which is within walking distance, with plenty of restaurants within an easy 2 to 5 minute drive. All and all we would gladly stay there again.

• Liked — “Hot” breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — Crowded pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Try Branns Steakhouse across the street for dinner