“Home away from Home”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I was in the Grand Rapids area for 12 days. When first greeted at the desk began my positive experience for this hotel. The staff was very helpful. There was a problem with my refrigerator and within minutes it was addressed I needed extra hanger and again they were delivered within minutes. Being there so long, it was nice to have more than a room. The extra space was good for the length of time I was there. The pool and hot tube were nice after a long day at work. If I could have got my room temperature a little cooler for sleeping, I would have been all set. This is not a luxury hotel but was more than comfortable for my 12 nights. It is convenient to both the airport and express way which made it very convenient. All the restaurents, and mall were within minutes from the hotel. I was on the third floor and it was very quiet.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport

Reviewed 9 October 2010

My young daughter and I stayed here on our way to a festival. The hotel was right off the highway, close to great shopping and was inexpensive. We booked our room off of a third party site and got a great deal. The pool was open late, the rooms were super clean, the front desk ladies were great, and the breakfast was hot and delicious. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, we look forward to staying there again next year.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2010

But I shouldn't hear the neighbors do it....

Before I start complaining about that, however, I would like to say that this is basically a nice hotel, especially for the price. The rooms have a modern design, with a great little kitchenette area (microwave, fridge and sink with a granite countertop). The sitting area is quite separate from the bedroom, unlike some suites, which are often just slightly larger rooms. We used the pool with our kids and didn't think it was too small -- actually larger than many we have seen lately. And they had the good sense to make it rectangular instead of some funky shape that makes you worry about the kids banging their heads into the sides. The water was also warm, for which I am always grateful.

Every member of the staff that I dealt with was genuinely nice and helpful. I think that they are doing their very best to keep this hotel running well.

The location next to a mall area with many restaurants is not gorgeous, but it's perfect if you are traveling with children. You can walk to Meijer to pick up anything you may have forgotten.

Now, about that first comment. Ahem. This was the least sound-proofed hotel that I can recall visiting. I imagined that the builders left out the insulation between the drywall to make up for the nice granite countertop in the kitchenette. Not only could I hear entire conversations in the neighboring room (possibly word-for-word if I had tried harder), their extra-curricular activities actually WOKE ME UP. I admit, I'm a light sleeper, and my husband remained sound asleep next to me, but STILL. This was a first. You could also hear water running in the bathroom, and a friend who traveled with us and stayed in another room said that he couldn't fall sleep because he could actually hear the bathtub sloshing around in the room above.

Our other complaint was breakfast. Usually these chains have a pretty predictable breakfast set-up that makes it fairly easy to access. This was the smallest breakfast buffet I have seen in a while, and the breakfast area is simply too small to handle the weekend crowd (I can't speak for M-F, but Saturday and Sunday were crazy). There were never enough tables or chairs and people got a wee bit cranky about saving seats, understandably.

All in all, not a bad place. It's just too bad they can't retrofit sound-proofing because that seems like it would be a big problem. I can't imagine being in a room next to my own extended family at that hotel, as we like to play cards and have a sip or two of kiddy cocktails after most people are tucked into bed. If you need silence to sleep, or if you plan on partying just a bit, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Unter4Augen
Reviewed 14 July 2010

The day staff there were really helpful to me during my stay. I found myself unexpectedly without a rental car and all rental agencies were sold out. The two front desk staff and the manager all worked until finding me a rental car, thus saving me some serious embarrassment.

Even the owner offered to drive me to a city an hour away before the car rental dilemma was resolved finally. How often does the owner of a property make a selfless offer like that??

I'd heartily recommend to anyone to stay in this clean hotel with its friendly staff.

Michael R., Portland, Oregon

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael51963
Reviewed 7 July 2010

The staff went out of their way to make sure everything was taken care of. And are first rate and helpful people. After staying here on business, I would stay here for personal.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Our group was very pleased with the location, breakfast, and service from this hotel. Our group services contact, Michelle B., helped us coordinate everything!
Thank you for everything!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Salud_10
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Upon arriving, I walked up to the front desk and Lori Hulsman greeted me with a warm, personal smile. I entered my room, 305, and felt welcomed. Instead of walking into a dark, warm room, the tv was on and the room was cooled with a light on. It was as if someone had been expecting me. Every phone call I made to the front desk was answered with a friendly greeting. Even the cleaning staff smiled at me with cheery eyes. Lori Hulsman is the definition of "good ol' fashioned" customer service and will go above and beyond to successfully meet your customer service needs while upholding company standards.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business