“Fairfield is cheap and for a reason.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 23 July 2012

No brochures on Gerald ford museum even though the site is only 15 minutes away from the hotel. Food was mediocre. Location was in poor section. Bad Internet service. Beds were uncomfortable. I would never stay at another Fairfield Marriott after this experience.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Mantle22
GrandRapidsFF_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize we did not provide you with the experience you were expecting while staying at our hotel. We are addressing these issues; updating our brochures for locations in the area, and ways to enhance our breakfast. We do hope you give us a chance to make things right and try the Grand Rapids Fairfield Inn next time you are in the area.

Jodi Beers

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend. Polite staff, quick check-in. We arrived early so we got to pick our room. Good sized room with plenty of towels and a comfy bed. Room had the usual shampoo, conditioner, soaps, hair dryer, alarm clock, iron and ironing board. Lacks a fridge and microwave. Lobby has hot coffee 24 hours. Breakfast was the usual at Fairfield, muffins, waffles, bagels, fruits, etc. Great location. One block from the main drag which has every chain store and restaurant you can think of and then some! Would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This was a better than average Fairfield Inn. The check in was very polite. A few extra amenities in the bathroom, sufficient towels, etc. Location was good in terms of nearby many restaurants and downtown. Bed was very soft. Internet (included in the room rate) was good. Decent value for the price paid. A solid hotel. No negatives other than a lack of a laundry facility onsite.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Typical Fairfield Inn with a slightly better than average location for this brand. Short walk to a number of common but decent chain options for dining, such as Applebees, but being a block off of 28th street has a quiet setting. Of note is the lack of a fitness center. This is the 2nd Fairfield Inn I've stayed at in the past 2 weeks that did not have one. Having access to a center located 4 blocks away is hardly convenient for a half hour on the treadmill at 5AM before breakfast.
My concern is the lack of consistency across the brand. I stay at Fairfield Inn's often (19 nights in 2012 so far) because I know they meet my basic needs at what I consider to be a good value. When some units fall below meeting my personal basic needs it puts me in a position of questioning the brand.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Stayed here to attend an event at University Motors which I discovered is very close to the airport. This Fairfield had a great location being just off 28th St SE where you have access to every chain store and restaurant you could imagine. However, being set back 1 block off of 28th you have a fairly quiet location – no high traffic noise passing by on either side of the hotel.

The hotel seems new/modern and presumably has been fairly recently updated. The rooms are fairly typical of Marriott chain but comfortable, clean and well maintained. I did get a slight musty odor in the bathroom when turning on taps/faucets in the sink but it might have been unique to my room. There’s also a fairly nice 32 or 40 inch flat screen TV and the desk had a good height adjustable chair to sit in and work on your laptop from. WiFi was good signal wise and straight forward to connect to – no charge. I also liked that you could indicate a number of days or length of time to be setup on the wireless. This meant you didn’t have to re-register every day/24 hours. I also managed to register multiple devices (laptop, work blackberry, personal Android) so all very convenient.

The lobby/breakfast area is well maintained and modern. The breakfast had a pretty good selection and each day there was someone constantly wiping/cleaning and checking on stocks of things.

I stayed using Marriott points and this is a category 1 hotel so very points effective. A great place to stay for what I needed and no doubt good if you need something close to the airport which is probably no more than 3 miles away. I’d certainly stay again and pick this over other Marriott brands as the quality was great and there’s no need to pick something up their brand scale when this one is so good.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I recently stayed here to be close to the airport for a 7am flight out. The hotel was clean, the front staff was fun (From Brooklyn NY), and I even got a cookie and cup of coffee.

The rooms are not as modern as the new Fairfields and the bed not as soft and just OK. The lobby had be redone and was very nice.

The nice part is that there are plenty of restaurant options around and it is 2 miles to the airport in the morning.

One big improvement would be a sign to where it is as it is behind the Target in the strip mall and you can't see it from the main road.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We travel to Grand Rapids often and have stayed at many hotels in the area. This is the first time staying at this Marriott near 28th street and the airport, more the north east area. It is off the main road, but very close. It is also close to the freeway, restaurants, 2 malls, many stores, and just about everything else you might want. Our main reason for this trip was to see a play downtown but staying downtown was too expensive and not close to the malls. This was a nice choice as it is a quick drive to downtown.

The room was clean and the beds were very comfy. It is a bit sparse for a Fairfield Inn and I was disappointed that we did not have a refrigerator. I should have looked closer at the hotel's website. Breakfast was fine, but nothing really to rave about. I am trying to watch both calories and cholesterol so I had oatmeal and yogurt both mornings and it was as expected. They did have some nice choices for fruit cups, yogurt, etc. My daughter loves doughnuts but none were available.

The best feature was the location coupled with the fact that I knew this brand would be clean and well maintained. It was a good choice and I would stay here again if needed. I do prefer to stay on the south west end of the city though.

Room Tip: I liked being on the 3rd (the top) floor as there were many families with young children so I did no...