“Renovated, but not keeping up”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Renovated, but not keeping up”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

It is true they recently renovated this property, but it feels to me they are not keeping up with the renovations. I just finished a 4-night stay at this hotel, and felt it was mediocre at best. The chair/ottoman in my room had spots/stains on it. The mini fridge was badly dented and scratched. The bathroom still had a very "old hotel" feel to it. And of course, there's the outlet situation that plagues so many older hotels - one that can be so easily remedied by using lamps that have additional plug outlets at the base. They did this with the desk lamp, adding one additional plug, but that plug was being used by the dented mini-fridge. Seriously? There are so few outlets you have to plug the fridge in to the desk lamp? Sigh. The breakfast area was clean and well stocked and the food was pretty good overall. I did not utilize the pool or fitness room this trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Beth K,
Thank you for reviewing the Fairfield Inn Grand Rapids. I'm glad that our complimentary breakfast was well stocked. I apologize we did not provide you with the experience you expected while staying with us. It is my hope that you will offer us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next trip to the area.

Joe H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
san francisco
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I've stayed at this location several times and so happy that they finally renovated. Nice cheerful colors creating a welcome retreat. Large size executive suite with separate area with a large sofa, TV and desk area. Micro/fridge makes it "homey" for a long term stay. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor over the swimming pool - not a good thing on the weekends.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Hi Larry W,
Thank you so much for the kind review! We are absolutely in love with our renovations, and are so glad that you like them too! Our brand new suites are super comfortable and roomy, and are a wonderful addition to our room selection! We would love to see you again when you return to Grand Rapids.

Warm regards,
Cassaundra Hickok
Director of Sales
Fairfield Inn by Marriott-Grand Rapids
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Beds were comfy, loved the modern, trendy decor. Nice widescreen tvs, but no HD. What's the point? Wonderful breakfast with lots of options: sausage, scrambled eggs, bagels, english muffins, coffee, waffles and more! I was very pleased with it!! You could constantly hear people talking in the halls as the walked by and the doors shut very loudly. It's the type of door, not that people were slamming them. You could also hear the creaking and thumping of people walking around above, which I hate! Being a light sleeper, I always bring my ear plugs and had a very nice nights sleep. It was a nice, clean hotel, and a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Choose the 3rd floor if noise from above bothers you.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Heyemilie,
Thank you for your review of the Fairfield Inn Grand Rapids. I'm so happy that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and a good nights sleep. I want to apologize for any noise that disturbed you. We hope to see you again the next time your business brings you to Grand Rapids.

Lapeer, Michigan
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We booked this hotel for ourselves and our family for a wedding in the area and were very pleased with the property. Every staff member from the maintenance staff to front desk were very friendly, always said hello and asked if we needed any help. The property was clean inside and outside. Rooms were nicely decorated, clean and appropriately sized. Beds were super comfy. We did not feel cramped in the room as we had to put up a pack n play for our grandson to sleep in. Breakfast each morning was hot, tasted good, plenty of options and well stocked and maintained by the breakfast staff. Pool area clean and family enjoyed swimming. We would definitely stay here again when in the area and need a place to stay. We booked a total of 8 rooms and all family members were pleased with their stay. Thank you for helping us make our son's wedding weekend enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Hi Sissybabe,
Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel and staff. We love getting such great feedback from our guests! We strive to provide exceptional service and accommodations to all of our guests and it is wonderful to hear that we made your weekend wedding trip a pleasurable experience. We love that you took advantage of our amenities and enjoyed a nice swim and great meal with us. Thank you so much for choosing the Fairfield Inn-Grand Rapids. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Grand Rapids.

Warm thanks,
Cassaundra Hickok
Director of Sales
Oregon
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Easy location to get to the airport.

The second floor was being painted during my stay, but luckily my room had no fume smell, nor did the lobby.

This hotel was okay. It seemed like it could have been an old Super 8 that was trying to appear like it was upgraded.

Breakfast had a great selection.

Room Tip: Make sure your floor's hallway isn't being painted.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Fourknees,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on the Fairfield Inn Grand Rapids. I'm so happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and location. I apologize if the painting of the hallway interfered with your stay in any way. We do our best to minimize the impact to our guests. Please come see us again the next time you are in the area.

Kind thanks,
Garden City, Michigan
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed while on a quick trip to Grand Rapids. Location was good, many choices for food and shopping. Room was clean and well kept and breakfast had plenty of choices. Easy to get to and we would definately stay again. Only suggestion would be a fridge for all rooms and for them to carry milk in their Marketplace area. We were traveling with a toddler and had to go out for a small container of milk.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
home
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I've rarely met a friendlier staff, housekeeper named Renee met me in the hall and asked about my stay. Very unusual. I would have rated the hotel excellent had it not been for the under powered a/c, and the wall-papering in process.

The 2nd floor was still undergoing a bit of remodeling; they were wall-papering during my visit. Some may not have a problem with the chemical smell, but I do unfortunately. Had to change to the 3rd floor, the chemical smell on 2 was too much! Even on the other floors the smell could be detected, but wasn't as intense.

Was a little apprehensive when I sat on the bed and it sank quite a bit, but the bed slept great for me, might not be as good for everyone. Sure glad Marriott changed their bed ensemble, like this coverlet much better.

The only other complaint is the above referenced a/c in adequacy. The highs during my visit were low 80's, so I would expect the units to keep up, but they had difficulty.

Cleanliness is very good, room otherwise pretty standard for a Fairfield Inn. At this hotel, the staff makes the difference.

Room Tip: Get an east facing room to minimize any a/c inadequacies.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Fabthunder,
Thank you for your review of the Fairfield Inn Grand Rapids. I appreciate the kind words regarding our staff and especially Renee. I will be sure to pass on your kind words. I am sorry that our renovation kept you from fully enjoying your stay. I also want to apologize that your A/C wasn't functioning properly. I will address this issue with my maintenance team. We hope to see you back after our renovation is completed so you can see the brand new hotel.

Joe H