“Exceptional Service for a budget”

Comfort Inn Airport
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
East Lansing, Michigan
“Exceptional Service for a budget”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed there overnight for a important seminar I had to attend and the hotel was everything to my needs. On a budget, free breakfast, free parking, near the airport, good staff. Forgot my hair-comb and they had one as a complement, so I did not have to run around. Only small downside was the bed was not that good. Had to toss and turn during the night. Maybe that was a one-off. Also the heater was not at its maximum. Other than these minor issues,, all went exteremly well. will book there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you mention to have a quieter room and a good bed. Had issues with that.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Lansing Visitor - on behalf of our entire team, we wanted to say, "Thank You," for taking time to review of property. We believe we are a great value and are pleased to know you were happy with your stay. We have shared your kind words with our staff. They are always encouraged by the positive feedback. We are sorry to hear about the problem with the mattress and heater. We will definitely have our maintenance staff follow-up on those issues. Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport in Grand Rapids for one night while on a road trip. I knew I was would be arriving late and leaving early, so I was not looking for more than a reasonably priced, clean and comfortable room that included breakfast. I was not disappointed in my choice. Despite being an older property, the ratings on Trip Advisor were generally positive, and in my opinion, accurate. The rooms have been updated with new furnishings, flat screen TVs, and beds. The only things in the room that didn't look newer were the bathtub, and the bathroom and room doors.

The provided breakfast was fairly typical of a good Comfort Inn. There were a few cereal choices, make-your-own waffles, a couple other hot items, as well as pastries, breads, and fruit. While it was not the best hotel breakfast I've had, it was fine and kept me satisfied until lunch time.

I only had one problem during this stay. As I mentioned above, I planned to arrive late. When I arrived, there were no parking spaces available. I ended up parking along the outer edge of the parking lot where a few others had parked. While I didn't mention this to anyone during my visit, I did mention it on a survey I was sent by Choice Hotels. The management of the hotel quickly responded and said they were working on their recent parking issues.

It is obvious that the management of the hotel cares about keeping their clients happy (the quick response to my survey comment, and many responses to Trip Advisor reviews). It has been my experience that establishments with this type of customer service oriented management are always a good bet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Traveling Friend - your review of our property was wonderful. We are always looking for ways to improve and your insights are the types of suggestions that help us to grow. We again apologize for the parking situation. We have been very blessed with strong occupancy this year and there were a few weekends with limited parking. We have made arrangements with one of our neighbors and we don't anticipate any problems moving forward. Thanks also for the tips on the room. As you note, we have been updating the rooms and will be continuing that effort throughout the winter and spring. We want to be the strongest property we can be and our owners are committed to our ongoing renovations. We have a capital improvement plan that will address many of the issues you commented on. Again, thank you so much for staying with us and for providing constructive insights. We hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Michigan
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Found using TA. Welcoming competent staff. Immaculate in and out. Comfortable bedding. Quiet heating system and good positioning of electronic outlets. Did not try WiFi so cannot comment. Good value booked directly with desk. They fed a cross country team plus us which included fresh grapefruit

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thankful68
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Michigan Traveler:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are so pleased you found everything at our hotel up to your standard. We are glad you found the staff to be competent and helpful. We take pride in our customer service and will be sure to pass your kind words to everyone involved. We are also glad you made use of our new electronic outlets! They are very convenient and practical. Lastly, we will tell our breakfast attendant how pleased you were with the service and the selection. Again, thank you for you kind words, and we look forward to being a part of your travel plans in the future.
MI
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Totally frustrating stay .. even after confirming my reservation & late check-in the day of my arrival. At 12:00 a.m the night clerk canceled my reservation along with several others !
I arrived @ 1:26 am & was told that ALL hotels cancel & charge everyone after 12:00 a.m.
I happen to know this is total BS! After a considerable amount of waiting for the clerk to RE-CHECK me & the people in front of me back in (also canceled) she finally gave me a lower rated room then the King I paid for! I really hope my Credit card was charged correctly!!
Now, I see my Choice reward points are missing (still) & I was put down as a no-show !
It really shouldn't matter whether or not I actually slept there, I PRE- PAID for the room & was charged for the room!
I have copied the ACTUAL agreement from The CHOICE & Comfort Inn web page !

Guarantee Policy
Your room will be held until 7:00 AM the morning following your scheduled arrival date. If you do not arrive and do not cancel your reservation by the cancellation deadline, your credit card will be charged 1 night's stay plus tax.
WTHeck ??!! I didn't write it but, I sure wish they'd fix it!

Spoke with a day clerk who pretty much said the same thing & acted like it was my fault for not calling & saying I was going to be after 12:00 am !
If I have to do this with all my stays @ these hotels, they WILL NO LONGER be a first choice of mine!
But, hey the room was nice...lol !

Room Tip: Double check & then re-check your reservations for late check-ins, especially for check-ins afte...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank gypsyjo13
Hotelmanagergr, General Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Traveler:
First of all, we want to thank you for providing such a detailed report of your experience. On behalf of the entire staff, we want to sincerely apologize for the miss-handling of your reservation. You are exactly right about our “no-show” policy. When a guest is “no-show” charged, the room will be held until 7:00 am, just in case the guest does come in very early in the morning. Your experience should not have occurred and we have reviewed the proper steps with our night auditor. Additionally, we want to do everything we can to remedy your negative experience, so we hope you will give us a call and ask to speak with me, the General Manager or with our Front Desk Manager. Again, we want to apologize for this negative experience, and we to work with you on a positive course of action. 616-957-2080
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed here 2 nights for our anniversary and got the room for a good price. After asking a couple questions when we checked in, Erin bumped us up to the executive suite with a king bed.....very nice bonus!! The room was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was nice and had a pretty good variety. All of the staff are extremely nice and accommodating. The only bad was that the walls are thin...could hear the tv and the other guests from the other room (but that is pretty typical with many hotels these days), The bathroom in the suite was very small and the location for the tv did not work well for watching from the bed. Except for the couple of not so bad things, the stay was relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sonja C
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Sonja:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. First of all, we want to again wish you a happy anniversary! We appreciate you spending such a special time with us! We are glad you met Erin upon check-in. We love her inquisitive spirit, especially when it leads to our guests receiving an upgrade to a spacious Jacuzzi suite. We are also pleased you found the breakfast full of options, and the staff accommodating (we will be sure to pass your praise to everyone here). Lastly, we appreciate your suggestion about the television; we will discuss your recommendation during our staff meeting. Again, thank you for your review, and we hope to welcome you back again to celebrate another year of marriage!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

The wifi speeds make it impossible to work online. The service is so slow that 'speedtest.com' can't even determine a speed. The breakfast was free, yet they were scrapping the bottom of the bucket at 0830. If you like carbs and sugar then you'll fill up. The refrigerator was cooling butter and that was it, the fruit was not appealing in the least bit. The eggs and sausage were cold. The woman sitting next to me told her husband the sausage was "freezing"... for a Saturday morning I am shocked at the quality of the breakfast.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Seth B
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Aaron:
Thank you for your honest and constructive review of our property. We want to sincerely apologize for the status of the internet during your stay. We know internet connection is a top priority. That particular night we were having a problem with the internet servers, and the next morning we had a service tech out to fix the connection problem. Likewise, we take great pride in our breakfast. We usually receive rave reviews, but we apologize as the service that morning was unacceptable. We will be sure to investigate the situation further, and take extra steps to ensure this mistake remains and anomaly. Thank you again for the review, and we hope you have a great week!
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed here to do some research at nearby Calvin College for three nights. Plus points first, the hotel is well located, and is affordable, the rooms and hotel are clean and tidy, mattresses were fine and the choice of pillows was nice, firm or soft. The free breakfast and coffee station downstairs are good, though its the same every day. Wifi is quick to get onto, and was a reasonable speed. Downsides, the walls are pretty thin, my first night was interrupted by screaming baby, front desk kindly moved me to another room after I complained, but next door's TV can still be heard through the walls, so much so I had to keep the AC on to drown it out. Because of room changes many keys had to be cut and inevitably they didn't work first time so I had to go back and forth to the front desk to get it fixed. The bane of modern hotels - the key card. The lift also smelt bad every time I went in it, had a diesel-smokey smell.

Overall, its not bad hotel, its looking its age, but the beds are comfy, the price point is fine, and you get breakfast, if only the walls were thicker and guests were quieter!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
UK Visitor:
First and foremost, if we did not tell you enough before, thank you so much for staying at our property. We love interacting with international guests and it was a pleasure to have you visit our hotel. We have a wonderful rapport with Calvin College and trust that everything turned out well with your research. Second, thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We do everything we can to provide the best accommodations possible and were pleased to hear about your breakfast experience and interaction with our staff. In terms of the noise, we definitely apologize. We know how important a good night's sleep can be. We were glad to hear that they were able to move you to another spot. Again, thank you so much for your feedback. We hope everything is going well across the pond. Take Care