“Birthday Splurge!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We celebrated two birthdays tonight. We had called ahead and were seated within 5 minutes of the last of our party's arrival. Everyone enjoyed the experience with our entertaining hibachi chef. We had fried rice, noodles, shrimp, chicken, filet mignon and veggies...all fabulous! Four of us tried a hot saki sampler...surprisingly tasty. Each birthday celebrant had a complimentary slice of very tasty cheesecake, along with a Japanese tribute from several staff. This was a splurge for us and well worth it!

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Almost everyone who goes to Kobe goes for the hibachi grill, while dining area was a ghost town in comparison. In addition, there was another large open area that just seemed to be a waste of space. Recently, they re-purposed that underutilized space, moving the dining area into the former open space and added Korean BBQ and new Korean entrees to the menu. This review will focus on the Korean aspect, as the hibachi has already been heavily reviewed.

As far as I know, Korean BBQ is new to the Grand Rapids (and probably west Michigan) area and offers a alternative to hibachi that has some similarities, yet is a completely different experience. With Korean BBQ, you are seated at a table with a grill in the middle. You get 5 or 6 different kinds of meat options (beef, pork or chicken) to choose from, where you can order one or more for your group, or a combination special that comes with four options at a discounted price.

Normally with Korea BBQ, you grill the food. That is part of the Korea BBQ experience, although it can take away from conversation since unless you are a multitasker. At Kobe, perhaps because this is a new thing for the area, they will normally assign someone to place the meat properly on the grill and monitor it for a while to get you started. I'm sure if you want, you can ask to do it all yourself once you become comfortable.

For the first time, if in a group of 4-6, I would recommend the combination choosing four of the beef/pork options. If it's smaller group, then the bulgogi (grilled, marinated beef.. slightly sweet flavored) is a good intro to Korean.

Kobe also offers other Korean dishes, which are cooked in the kitchen. Since I am a big fan of bibimbap, that is the only Korean dish I have ordered aside from the Korean BBQ. Their bibimbap is quite good, much better than what I got at a couple of other restaurants in the area.

With the Korean meals, you get miso soup and a number of small vegetable side dishes. You can get refills on these side dishes at no extra charge, which is just great. While I do enjoy almost all of the side dishes, some will not like the Korean flavor/spice. For those who do not like the side dishes, you will probably want to order an appetizer or other entree if you go with the Korean BBQ. (Otherwise, you will basically just be eating meat and rice).

To recap, the dining area now w/Korea BBQ and dishes provides a strong alternative and contrast to the hibachi side. The hibachi side is the more flashy, Westernized part of the restaurant, while the dining area is a more intimate setting with more traditional Japanese/Korean dishes. The dining area also offers more affordable options, unless you start ordering sushi. One drawback is the statement on the menu that you cannot order hibachi from the dining area, and you cannot order the non-hibachi entrees in the hibachi area. I can understand the latter, but from a business standpoint ordering hibachi from the dining area should be a great thing for the restaurant, since you are paying a premium for the dish, but without the entertainment. I will say that at least you can order the Kobe fried rice with yum yum sauce from the dining area. This is what our kids like, whereas my wife and I greatly enjoy the Korean BBQ, bibimbap and the side dishes that accompany the meal.

In the past, I have been greatly disappointed with the few Korean options in the area. In my opinion, Kobe is now the best Korean option and I believe it is the only option for Korean BBQ. Now they just need to figure out what to do about their bar and their sushi.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stopped on a Saturday for lunch. We were seated at the hibachi table. The restaurant has a large menu, with hibachi items, items from their kitchen, sushi and korean bbq. If you are seated at the hibachi table, you are not allowed to get things from the other menu. After we were seated and served our drinks, we were told they don't have lunch on Saturday. This would have been really helpful to know before we were seated and before we had ordered drinks. We paid our tab and left. I love hibachi, but there are certainly other placees with more reasonable prices and friendlier staff to patronize

1  Thank L A
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The last time we went to Kobe, it was because our grandchildren (11 and 13) had requested it. They enjoyed the food and having the meal prepared in front of them. We all had the scallop dinner. Some chefs we have had at Kobe and other similar restaurants have been better but the food was good.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Have been here a few times food is ok, slow to get a table. If you get the right Chief it’s lot’s of fun. Not sure I would suggest children. If you want to talk within a large group, forget it. Grill is in the middle of the table. Although you can been entertained watching them cook in front of you. Most meals around $30 not including drinks. Sometimes you can find a coupon.