“Rustic old resort, convenient location”

Boyne Highlands Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Harbor Springs
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The resort property is well maintained, but the actual rooms are old and out dated. If you have a need to stay on property for golf, then this is a convenient location. However, I'd recommend looking into other locations, especially in the summer where you may want more time on the beaches.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank waterskifamilymi

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I had been wanting to go to Boyne for a golf get-away for a few years, as I had seen their ads and the package price always sounded really good. We stayed in the Main Lodge at Boyne Highlands in a king suite. It was very spacious, quite nice and very clean. The "Boyne Bed" is fantasticly comfortable. The bathroom is stocked with high-end travel-size shampoo, etc. The towels were high quality. The only breakfast option is at the main lodge dining room, where the only choice is the breakfast buffet for $15 per person. However, it is quick if you need to get to a tee-time, and there are some good selections. Be sure to get an omlet and a waffle specially made for you at the omlet bar....really good. Some of the other food at the breakfast buffet wasn't as good but was plentiful and more than adequate. The coffee was really good, too. We also ate dinner one night in the main dining room. It, too, was adequate and pretty tasty, but not as high quality as at local restaurants in the surrounding towns. One evening, we had a great dinner at Villa Ristorante Italiano in Petoskey. I highly recommend it. Golf is all fantastic at Boyne. You choose from 11 different courses, some with an upcharge and/or surcharge. I played Bay Harbor Links and Quarry (a must-play though expensive), Arthur Hills (really nice - upcharge) and Hidden River Golf and Casting Club (in great condition and fun, but I don't need to play it again in the future before I try some of the other courses). We were treated extremely well by all Boyne staff at the lodge, dining room, and golf courses. One great thing about Boyne is that you can choose from MANY different lodging types and many different golf courses. You can save some money by staying in 2 star lodging and playing golf courses without a surcharge, or you can upgrade and pay a little more and get a little more. That flexability is really appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed at the townhouse as a result of a timeshare trade, but they are available for rent. There are a couple different styles available and we stayed at a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom side by side duplex model, closest to the golf course. After a long drive I pulled up and it was pouring rain outside and was really dreading the unloading of the car- but no problem. There is an attached garage to this model, so I could unload easily. Very favorable first impression.
Once I got inside, the townhouse pictures online did not lie- this place is clean, spacious and very homey. The master has a king bed and attached batroom with a whirlpool, the front bedroom has a full size bed with a bath around the corner. Upstairs is the 3rd bedroom with with twin beds and another bathroom. Plenty of soft towels and toiletries are provided.
The kitchen has everything you need- it was extrememely well stocked with all utensils, glassware, plates, pots and pans. There is also a laundry room with a washer and dryer and a nice touch was the one load size of laundry soap that was provided.
The living area was confortable and there was a gas fireplace and cable TV with plenty of channel choices. There is also a small concrete patio, with a Weber charcoal grill for any cook outs you may want to have. There are stores nearby to pick up anything you may need.
I was very happy with the townhouse and the resort itself. The only downside- no cell service in the townhouse unless your carrier is ATT. Can you hear me now? No, I can't- I could get cell in the parking lot of the main hotel. Also the internet connection was totally unreliable as far as my laptop was concerned, but I was able to connect with an ipod touch. So if you need to work on a laptop -good luck with that, But as I was told- this IS northern Michigan and internet stops working.

Room Tip: Unit 3 is what this review is based on.
Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2012

The resort is in a beautiful area. We walked around, saw deer and a family of racoon. It's very wooded, very quiet and peaceful. My husband was there on business so I enjoyed the day at the pool. On the negative side: I ate lunch one day at the Slopeside. My lunch was good but
many of the employees were eating lunch as well. They were very loud and yelling across the
restaurant at each other. I was very surprised as to what they were saying since there were paying customers eating lunch as well. The same goes at the pool. When employees have
the day off they obviously can use the pool and the language is quite something.

Friendly people in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This has been our 20th golf trip to Boyne. It is absolutely the best golf package for the price. We play unlimited golf at 9 Championship courses that are in wonderful condition and quite beautiful.
The accommodations, food, and overall service is excellent. Highly recommend! Dr. James Yeager, Duluth, Minnesota

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We booked a last-minute room at Boyne for the Zoo-de-Mack bike ride, so we knew we would be overpaying some. What I did not expect was an $80 room for that price (we were in the main lodge - Camelot room, I think). The carpet was old. The bathroom fan cover had a gap in the drywall indicating shoddy construction. The king bed was clean and comfortable, but tucked into a "cute" alcove with a low ceiling. Both my husband and I bumped our heads badly despite being careful. The room was small. The bathroom fan went on when the lights did and was loud enough to be annoying. While we are not television watchers, we noticed that the TV is one of the old-school cathode ray tube TVs. The overall room gave the impression of being cheap and outdated. And when we saw the $5 bottle of water on the dresser, that just added to our feeling of being ripped off, big time.

I want to be fair - we did book at the last minute, and the room was clean. But seriously, we booked last minute at the Mission Point hotel on Mackinac Island, which is known to be pricey, and we got a much nicer room for $40 less (and on Mackinac Island!) than what we paid at Boyne.

Room Tip: Make sure your bed is not tucked into a cutsie alcove. What a stupid design.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cassieopia
Reviewed 1 May 2012

everything was clean, nice, the scenery was awesome, loved every minute of our time there, and would highly recommend

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 15 in Petoskey
Hampton Inn & Suites Petoskey

Been to Boyne Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!