“Great Location-Needs Updating”

Birchwood Inn
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
“Great Location-Needs Updating”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Nice view, clean room and friendly staff. The property has been well kept, but you can only "band aid" maintance items and furnishings for so long. Decent place to stay if you are in a bind, but would not be high on my list to reccomend to friends and family. Most of the reviews are very accurate on the condition of the property.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sault
Reviewed 26 January 2013

First, the good points. It was clean.

Now, on to the negatives. I booked this place via Hotwire, and my experience has always been, if I stayed to 3* and above, I'm always happy. This stay broke that streak. It is obvious that this property flew under the radar and was inappropriately rated. Hotwire lists comparable properties as being Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn, and DoubleTree. Let's just say that there were not warm cookies waiting for me when I checked in here. Haha. I've never stayed at a Hotwire 3* Motor Inn, you know the kind of place you drive up to the door of your room...until now.

Walls: 1970's paneling and paper thin. I could hear conversations from adjacent rooms, and someone pounding on the far wall in the opposite room, apparently trying to coax their neighbors into letting them sleep.

Bathroom: Tile, like 1960's style. The bath is a stand up shower, with a 6 inch bathtub type of standing area. Not horrible, but clearly outdated and very 'campy' feeling.

Ceiling: Water damaged and wood strapping is screwed in to keep the ceiling from falling in.

Amenities: Hotwire lists this property as being a 'condo' and including a 'full kitchen'. Not exactly...not even close. A bathroom sink and an ice bucket is as close as you get. Two full size beds. 15" CRT tv that is starting to appreciate in value, due it is rarity. Early 1970's furnishings. None of the electrical outlets have 'ground' aka all 2 prong style. Not good for charging your laptop.

This biggest complaint I have is the inaccuracy of the Hotwire listing, which the owner blames Hotwire, but the property owner is the one who reports what amenities are offered...not Hotwire. Hotwire did offer to move us to a new property, but it was late and as this is a remote area, I'm sure we would've had to drive back into Petoskey and it just wasn't worth all that. Hotwire did give me $25 credit, or 'Hotbucks', because of the inconvenience. They also assured me that the star rating will be investigated and likely dropped, and the amenities will be updated to prevent this from continuing to happen.

If you're just looking for a place to crash, in a beautiful area of the state, this is fine. Just don't make much noise or the neighbors will get mad. If you require privacy, updated furnishings, or a hotel rather than a motel, then stay away from the 3* Hotwire listing for Harbor Springs that shows a full kitchen and 24 hour front desk, which happens to close at 11 until 8.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CoffeeNate
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Hotwire could not have screwed us more. We go ahead and spring for the 3 star hotel bracket on Hotwire and they put us at the birchwood inn. We pull up after a long day of driving and the first thing we see is a run down single level motel. With dents and holes in the front doors. We check in and they say we are the only guests staying here. We get the room and there is paint peeling from the ceiling and rips in the sheets on the bed, and the bathroom is still yellow due to has not been updated for over 20 years. They put us in a different room it is a little better but I would still call it a grade under motel 6.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Scottcsl
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Please do not waste your money here. If hotwire puts you here try all you can to cancel. Paper thin walls somehow the neighbors called in a noise complaint at 10 am on us. We could hear them on the phone complaining about us. Beds were extremely small I'm only 5'9 and my feet hung off the edge. The bagels in the morning were still frozen.

By the way we were promised a kitchen by hotwire and there was NO kitchen trust me.

Seriously this place is awful.

If I could give it zeros I would. Especially for the price.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank pacemd01
Schererville, Indiana
Reviewed 16 November 2012

While older the rooms were clean and it was a unique blast from the past resort layout. Enjoyed our stay and we were glad that we stumbled off the road to find it. It was further from town than we realized. Beautiful location, northern Michigan non chain charm but it did have limited breakfast choices.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Ye, this place is old and I must say, run down. It was clean. The room where the breakfast was served was pretty nice. Very clean. This is an "up north" type inn. Our room was very spacious. We even had a small kitchenette. Our beds were comfortable. We went here because they accepted dogs, but then our dog didn't go. Anyways....we stayed on a top floor. When we got there it seemed as though we were the only people there, kinda sketchy. But it filled up quite a bit for a rainy fall weekend. The chairs in the roon need new cushions. The roof needs to be repaired along with the windows. It had boiler heat (says husband) so we didn't have to mess with one of those blower types of heaters that never work well. When people arrived, we could hear them, but when they went into thier rooms-you could not hear themn-very quiet. It really needs maintenence-roofs, posts, paint, etc. But I imagine that would cost a bundle. But with a influx of cash and talent, this place could really be something (but then we probably couldn't afford it). So, I would probably stay again. It is pretty country as others have mentioned. Very pricey area tho.

Room Tip: Top floor, 2nd door to the right.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kathryn747
Milford, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I just stayed at the Birchwood this past weekend for a fall color tour - took advantage of their Tunnel of Trees package for $80/night, which came with assorted dining and wine tasting discounts. Yes, the establishment is old; it's like walking into your up north family cabin. Scrupulously clean, comfortable, warm and inviting, but not flashy and brand spankin' new. Every staff person I dealt with was pleasant and kind. The Continental breakfast provides PLENTY; I believe some people need to research and educate themselves on what a Continental Breakfast IS. My stay was during a chilly northern Michigan weekend and I was cozy and warm in my room the entire time. I also had PLENTY of hot water for my shower, and so did my roommate, who showered after me. I believe there was only one unoccupied room in the place, so it was pretty booked up.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn & Suites Petoskey
@ Michigan Inn & Lodge
@ Michigan Inn & Lodge
#6 of 15 in Petoskey

Been to Birchwood Inn? Share your experiences!