“Charming hotel in perfect location”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Harbor Springs
Detroit, Michigan
“Charming hotel in perfect location”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Colonial Inn recently. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Harbor Springs area. The hotel staff, including the front desk attendant, housekeeping and the adorable young bell hop were all very friendly and accommodating. The check in/check out process was very easy. Our rental unit was clean. The unit was very roomy and included a flat panel tv and gas fireplace. I was pleasantly surprised. You cannot beat the location. The waterfront is at the end of the short street. It is also a short walk away from town.
We look forward to visiting the area again and will look to stay at the Colonial Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chymba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We were very disappointed, have spent less & gotten a better! Quaint Inn but you stay on out lying buildings. NO HOT WATER, BARELY ANY HEAT IN ROOM, NO COFFEE POT IN ROOM, POOL COLD & DIRTY, SAME FOR HOT TUB, CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST IS JOKE WITH WEAK COFFEE! Best things about the place is location, harbor springs atmosphere, nice looking grounds, fireplace in room (but gives no warmth). With some improvements they can do better.. Sorry I had to review obvious!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Judy R
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were at the Colonial for a soccer tournament weekend with our family and many more families from our same club. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
Our room was a king/double suite, and it was very spacious...terrific for a family of four and probably could have fit 2 more people.
The pool was nearby, as well as the bay and dock
The woman on duty was helpful when available
The price for the space we had was very good

Cons:
I got a parking ticket for parking on the street, right where the front desk told me to park!
Our room was right off the lobby...and it was somewhat loud the first night in the lobby...the third night it was very loud on the front porch, also right outside our room, and with no one at the desk to ask folks to keep the noise down. I asked the kids to quiet down because my kids needed sleep, but it shouldn't be the guests job to conduct crowd control.
The rooms smelled of mildew. It's clearly an old property and with that comes charm, but unfortunately, it also came with smells. We had to wash all of our clean clothes when we got home because of the smell.
The hot tub was in operation for only 1 of 3 days we visited.

We probably won't be staying again. It's disappointing because this place has great potential, but there are just too many warts. I'm more than a little upset that I'll need to pay $20 for a parking ticket for parking where the desk told me to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank garci1r
Plainwell, Michigan
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had to unexpectedly stay overnight on a business trip and found this little gem online. I arrived late and my key was left in an envelope on the desk (very quaint). The room was exactly what I needed, clean, good nights sleep and a quick bite to eat in the morning. I got a really good last minute deal, so I'm not sure what prices they charge during tourist season, so this may not be the best cost vs. value review in the history of hotel reviews.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rharlow
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is a quaint inn, almost B&B in its feel. The inn was built in the lTe 1890's, but is pretty well maintained. Relaxing atmosphere, nice & comfortable rooms, but the room we had was rather sparse: two beds (a king & a double), a table, and a mini fridge. Rates are quite reasonable for a tourist area; continental breakfast is included (cereal, coffee, juice, toast , & a waffle maker). I'd recommend paying the few extra dollars for a balcony room - very pleasant to sit on the balcony with cheese & crackers and a nice bottle of wine, watching the sunset. Really nice feature is that downtown Harbor Springs is about a 10 minute stroll down the road. The inn is located in a quiet neighborhood on a side street (your GPS nav system will help you get there on the first pass). The down sides: the walls are thin (I could hear the next door guest in the shower, even with my bathroom door closed), I've faucets in the tub took some getting used to, and there were two outlets for my chargers (one next to the bed& one in the bath). Otherwise, a nice experience & I will gladly stay there again. Note of caution, the inn is only open during the summer season, so call ahead to be sure they are open.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room - relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bill W
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great quiet place with large room. Very clean and staff is friendly. The continental breakfast was just okay. Would stay again. Great location, away from the busy town of Petoskey but close enough to shopping and lake shore.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank LgLdmiller11
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We would give this a five star if based on our room alone. We have unit 24 in the building next to the main house. Newly redecorated and we loved the gas fireplace...kept us cozy during the chilly evening. Spacious bathroom area with separate stool/shower area. Both areas have pocket doors to separate them from the bedroom so this place seemed like a suite even though it wasn't. But there was some not so good stuff that pulls the rating down to average. When we checked in the staff was pleasant and efficient but not very friendly...no biggie for us but other reviewers have noted staff not very friendly too. Since they advertise under B&B's I anticipated coffee/tea and maybe a snack upon arrival. When I asked about that, the desk person said she nothing was available but she could put on some hot water for me to make tea. I said good, I'd be back after unloading. When I went back there was a pot of hot water in the breakfast area and I scrounged around and found the tea bags and a cup. I fixed tea and went into sit by the fireplace in the sitting room. The whole place...breakfast area, check in area and lounge area were COLD. Like no heat on a chilly fall day. Since we rode in on our bikes as part of a longer bike trip we walked exactly one easy mile along the lake shore to downtown shopping and eating. Very nice neighborhood but no eating places closer than one mile. The next morning we went to the free breakfast and again...NO HEAT although it had been in the 40's overnight. I looked at two thermostats on the wall. They were both set at 60 and they both said ambient temp was 65. This inn offers standard breakfast fair including hot make your own waffles. But the lack of heat totally made breakfast unpleasant. I cannot imagine why an Inn would skimp on a little heat. Warm cozy atmosphere is exactly what one is looking for in a neighborhood inn. We wouldn't stay there again in spite of the great room due to cold public areas in the main building.

Room Tip: We had room 24 on ground level. Quiet and comfortable. Most of the rooms are in a separate building...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank STEVE E
Hotelman52, Owner at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Please judge us by the 5 stars this guest would give us on the room. We have finally been reclassified by Trip Advisor as a Hotel. We are not a B&B and do not offer the service that you would expect to receive in a small B&B. As a limited service 41 room hotel, we offer beautiful spacious accommodations with gas fireplaces in every room, a pool, a Jacuzzi, a simple continental breakfast, consisting of fresh melon, blueberry muffins, assorted cold cereals, waffles, white/whole wheat toast, orange juice, tea and coffee, within walking distance to downtown Harbor Springs. (We are the only hotel in Harbor Springs.)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harbor Springs
#2 of 3 in Harbor Springs
Best Western Of Harbor Springs
Best Western Of Harbor Springs
#1 of 3 in Harbor Springs

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!